Poll - What should be done about the drinking age?

Sentient

What should be done about the drinking age?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What should be done about the drinking age?

• Leave it as is, (old enough to vote, die in foreign wars etc...)
    • Raise it to 20
    • Make it 20 for the booze store but 18 for clubs, bars etc.
    • Other - explain below

I think it's a bit of a misnoma that 'Europe' has a desirable and safe drinking culture.

http://www.ias.org.uk/resources/factsheets/comparisons.pdf

It appears from this piece of research (NZ wasn't on the list) that the Danish and Irish have some binge drinking issues.

Alcohol is pretty harmful (generally), and I think alot of people drink more than they want to, even if they think they're having fun.

One thing that sometimes springs to mind, is perhaps if New Zealand had more of a culture where people 'dated' (US style) rather than hooking up with people when ripped, then people might be inclined to drink less in quantity, and frequency. I sort of agree with the comment about underground retardedness too. There's some wack crackers out there...

hmm forgot i posted in this thread, its hard to say without it being taken the wrong way.

if I said it was more civilized? see that sounds wrong too.

i started work in the industry about 93-94 and i was around 17, it took me and friends a long time to get through the doors initially, but once we were in there, we were so careful, polite and kind of honored to be in bars.

A lot of people need that couple of years to come out of high school and get over that "top of the class" ideal, and a lot don't, which is what having it at 20 accomplished.

hmm its really hard to write down without it sounding strange, hit me up and ill talk to you about it haha

i will say that drug culture in new zealand didnt help too much either ...

stand outside fu on any given weekend night and some of those kids faces that walk past down the street, oh my god! their like empty shells, scares me (cos i look like it sometimes haha) but yeah scary.

hmm - I would be gutted If I couldnt go into Fu Bar at 18.

The problem is that I always wanted to go to Fu from about 16 but couldnt cause of my age. I didnt give two fucks about drinking just the music. Allow them into the clubs at 18, but dont let em drink. It sounds stupid and is really hard to police but we shouldnt stop them going out and just enjoying the music. hell they can go to another store and get sloshed there AFTER the gig =p

ALAC’s Youth and Alcohol – 2003 ALAC Youth Drinking Monitor clearly shows that the numbers of non-drinkers are increasing in the 14-17 age group, and the numbers of heavier drinkers are decreasing," said Christopher Bishop, spokesperson for the Keep-it-18 campaign (see figure at the end of the release).

Interesting... I wouldn't have guessed that... more pot smokers nowadays perhaps

I hope (for the campaigners sakes) that the law was changed sufficiently prior to the research enough for those results to mean jack and/or shit

I think the drinking age should be kept as it is. If it changes then that just means more people are going to use fake id. Can you imagine how shit uni life would be if you couldn't drink? I had sooo much fun at uni and I wouldn't wana take that away from anyone.