"Full" speed broadband

Pakage

What do you think of making ADSL "Full" speed?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of making ADSL "Full" speed?

• Its good
    • Its bad
    • I wish ISP's had more divese plans
    • I hope telecom sux the fat one from this
    • I dont care

From the looks of it, if they have taken off all restrictions, they've fucked it up pretty badly. Most people's speeds appear to have dropped. See also

If this is the best they can do I think its about time they upgraded the lines! Bring on opening up city fibres! I know there's a few of you guys working on ISP's who are bound to actually know something about the lines. What's the deal? What are current lines capable of and how much fibre has been installed?

Apparently in Sweden you can get uncapped 100Mbit fibre for US $59 / month (see page 10).

I think we'll be sticking with our 1Mbit up/down wireless connection until I start to get some better feedback from people on the new ADSL "unleashing". The new Xtra $49/month 'max down / 128k up with no data cap looks pretty appealing if they can sort their shit out.

Yeah but in response to whether I think its a good idea, yeah, internet needs to be much faster here. Although if the network is in such a poor state, or so poorly managed that we see everybody getting such shitty performance then maybe they need to put some more capital into it before opening it up. Maybe some of the Telecom C.E.O's > 1 Million Dollar salary could go towards the costs?!

If this is the best they can do I think its about time they upgraded the lines! Bring on opening up city fibres! I know there's a few of you guys working on ISP's who are bound to actually know something about the lines. What's the deal? What are current lines capable of and how much fibre has been installed?

None of the ISPs will be installing fibre optics in NZ mate. The market is too small here so it wouldn't really be profitable to do so. There's a bit of cable laid out on the shore which is owned by Vector (I think) and open for wholesale rental but even Telstra-Clear won't touch it. It's all about ADSL these days I reckon.. you can get up to 24MB/s over copper once you have the infrastructure in the telephone exchanges to do so. That's gonna take time though.. TC reckons they'll have it (ADSL2) sometime in 2007, other big ISPs like iHug will follow suit once they can.. just gotta wait for unbundling to take effect which could take ages

As for the plan changes, we've been having major dramas.. as soon as we hit the torrents we get drop-outs and shit.. hopefully its just teething problems..

yea... I went full speed and it's just the same as it was on 3.5mbit down, 512 up...

I never got those speeds anyway.

I get a good connection to my DSLAM (around 6mbit down, 800k up) but Telecom can't deliver those speeds to my ISP so yea... I get around 2-3mbit down.... less that 1mbit down at peak

lesson here... don't change to the full speed plans unless you're a gambler, cause the odds are against you that you'll get descent speeds

(Although a friend here at work gets 5mbit down pretty constantly... he's off mayoral drive and ran 11... I'm off Mayoral Drive... but on a ran in papakura or some shit)

Im too far away from the nearest exchange so im fucked either way... but I am close to some unsed fibre-op they laid for a now-defunkt cable tv project; I think telecom had something to do with that as well =) Problem is those lines are connected but unused and I doubt they will let anyone use em.