Check Out My Issues!

fulltimeplay

I'd like to know what people think of my new work situation... please take a minute and give me some advice on this as it has perplexed the hell outta me!

I was called by a local iwi after my name was put forward by a teacher of Maori, and asked to take over the running of an after school/holiday programme funded by the iwi, for children who are in bilingual learning units.

I accepted the challenge to pull the programme back up and have been doing so for 5 weeks with some great results. Yesterday I told one of my managers that I had found another support worker (we desperately need two else we don't meet our ratios = very naughty), and gave her the contact. Later in the day I was asked if she was pakeha, to which I responded she was. I was then told that the iwi do not employ pakeha, that it is run by Maori for Maori.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't want to start a mad racist debate here, but see the problem is, they've employed me, and I'm not Maori.

I have been learning Maori properly for about 7 years, have taught in Maori classrooms during this time, have put my son through Kohanga and Kura Kaupapa, so have very much walked in the world for many years. They never asked me what my association was, they just assumed I am. Now I feel like i'm a bit in the shit. HOnest mistake for sure, but I basically have to walk in there on Monday and resign???? Or at least tell them? And then the programme can't run without a registered teacher so it all falls down...

Advice?

honestly, tell them and stay

I would say that your performance will speak more about you than your skin colour. I find this really disapointing. I mean I can understand that they want to help each other out... but its like any job where you pick the most qualified person. I think its great that you have learnt the culture (something I wouldnt mind getting into) and are now living the life etc. Im actually really suprised that they never asked which iwi you were from or something.

Anyway, If they pack too much of a sad they will only fuck things up for themselves. They lose a qualified teacher and as you said, the course suffers.

Id say tell them then be cheeky and say you still want to hire your friend =p

honestly, tell them and stay

I would say that your performance will speak more about you than your skin colour. I find this really disapointing. I mean I can understand that they want to help each other out... but its like any job where you pick the most qualified person. I think its great that you have learnt the culture (something I wouldnt mind getting into) and are now living the life etc. Im actually really suprised that they never asked which iwi you were from or something.

Anyway, If they pack too much of a sad they will only fuck things up for themselves. They lose a qualified teacher and as you said, the course suffers.

Id say tell them then be cheeky and say you still want to hire your friend =p

What mike said. Although id probably be a bit more pissed off.. i hate racism.

ahhh, dramas!

I agree, be honest with them. Maybe even write them a letter/email instead of talking to them face to face about it?

It will give you a bit more time to think about what you want to say and hopefully help them understand that they would only be making their kids miss out!

kia kaha

if your good at your job and relate to the kids then it shouldnt matter if your maori or not.....

my mum used to work for kohanga reo for years and shes white as the days.....

front up and give them the truth but back yourself hard and tell them why you are the best person for the job....

if they have any respect for you and the work you,ve already accomplished they,ll keep you on.....

yeah, wordups to what everyone else has said...

i'm definately with the sleep on it school of advice on this one.

obviously, you have integrity, so you will tell them. just dont see the need to make it a resignation issue.

the whole, maori for maori thing is letting the whole system down, as apparently, there aint enough maori out there who have either the time, desire or energy to keep this course running.

I would say the core issue to its survival is that it meets not only the neeeds of the kids to have teachers who understand both(or many) cultures, but also the demands of local iwi to have a quality and unbiased education for their children.

points i think you can validly and strongly attest to.

so, think carefully about what it means to you to BE MAORI. (not A maori)

a lot of my own relatives have more blood of this land in them than knowledge of maori ways or desire for it.

its a sad day when someone willing to learn about, adopt, and teach an old & dare i say it-threatened culture, is turned away because of their heritage.

good luck.

Pretty much what has been said has happened. The ironic (well not really) but the thing is that they had also just found someone on Fri who they thought was Maori, to work as a 2IC, and then discovered she wasn't but her kids were. Due to the situation and the need for staff (which is obviously getting urgent), the chairperson of the iwi trust board told the manager to do what she wants. She personally is happy with having pakeha working there so long as the job is getting done, kaupapa Maori is being followed and Te Reo is being spoken... THe board members (well some) are not happy but all is well, pay is still going in, world keeps turning... yay!

So sorted! Thanks all!

I can understand the "dilemma" of being Maori in NZ and wanting to hang on to a cultural identity. I think however, that your employers must realise that in this situation where you (and now your colleague) are ready and willing to do the work, which in itself is fulfilling their needs, that bloodline doesn't need to come into the equation. There are many New Zealanders who have very small blood ties to Maori who still proudly wear that badge, and there are many with NO blood connection who proudly wear that badge. (Note that you don't need any Maori blood to join the Maori Electoral Roll {I pretty sure}) In this case what is best for your employers should ultimately come down to what is best for the childeren, and having to enthusiastic people ready to do the job should be enough, and I'm glad that it is.

Really? Wow. That's kind of cool... One of my colleagues used to say "they might look fair, but their hearts are Maori"... She took pride in the fact that within our unit we had kids from Asia, Samoa, Tonga and Egypt, as well as 'pakeha' and Maori children. This was in AK and it was an awesome bilingual unit... so awesome it was almost multilingual.

I agree with what your saying Nato, and i think the most important thing is Revitalisation of Maori language - in terms of it actually being USED as an official language, not just stated on paper. That requires Pakeha - (and other cultures) to use it and feel okay about using it, as we are the ones who need embracing it in order for it to become more widespread. Obviously Maori have that responsibility as well, but the revival does seem to have worked for Maori to some degree... there are so many bilingual units and kura kaupapa around, free courses in Te Reo for people... it's on the up. But when the "It's for Maori" buzz gets going, it becomes something that other people aren't comfortable with, and the language goes on being unused and associated with 'them', not 'us'. And so goes on the great divide.

I am so impressed with the Maori organisations ie Maori TV, The Maori Party, who employ people from a range of cultures/ethnicities - a true representation of NZ as it stands. I'm also a mad believer in equity - if there was someone who was equally as good at my job, same qualifications etc, who WAS Maori, I would be more than happy to let them take the job, in fact I would stand down if someone who was Maori and fantastic came along. Of course. I'm just glad that the manager and chairperson had the sensibility to look beyond the issue and at what is important for the kids.