Are you a Pirate?

Pakage

Do you download music illegally?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you download music illegally?

• I download all my music illegally! sif id pay for it..
    • I download most of my music illegally, but also purchase some of the stuff i really like
    • I download most of it illegally, but id never play it out or make money from it
    • I download some, but usually just to check it out before i buy it
    • I download what i already own just to save me from recording it from vinly to mp3 for my ipod
    • I buy all my music but i download mixes
    • I buy all my music and think people who download it illegally should burn
    • I buy all my music but i pirate software and TV series so really im just a big fat hypocrite
    • I used to download stuff illegally, but now i buy all my stuff legit
    • i dont pirate anything at all.. ever.. EVER!

Don't even get started about ISP's please

It'll go something like this:

Telecoms shit...

But it's the Governments Fault..

But my exchange is congested...

But my ISP is good...

But my ISP is shit...

But my ISP is shit because of Telecom...

But my ISP is shit because of the Government..

But my ISP overseas was awesome...

But my ISP is good, what are you guys talking about?...

But Telecoms shit...

There we go, saved a lot of time =)

Edited by Guest

As for stealing music from small, INDEPENDANT music labels & producers.. (eg. drum'n'bass) that's a completely different ball-game.

You can't compare it to downloading major network TV eps of films.. d&b is underground and there's basically NO money to be made in it as it is, show some respect to the producers putting in the hard yards and support the scene

Like of said before shall we have a look at everyones gross income before deciding if we can rob them or shall we just call it theft?

New Zealand musicians have noted how they get mistaken for being rich just because they share the airspace with rich american musicians and the public make the association that making music = you must be rich.

Is there the possibilty that you are doing that with the tv game? I have seen/ been involved/ heard about tv that is made with virtually no money and will not make that much either.

You raise an interesting point in regard to the ethical assumptions many of us make in regard to torrenting. At the end of the day, you're right: it's always theft. However, it's obvious that even the biggest d&b labels tread a finer and more fragile financial line than any of the major film & television networks and production houses. I treat independent movies with the same respect I treat independent music.

With all due respect - and bearing in mind that I do know that many of them don't make any money as it is, I can't actually think of any locally produced TV programmes that have ever been popular on the torrents. The musical equivalents to the episodes I download would be very, very mainstream. And to answer your question, I only singled out TVNZ for the sake of my arguement because they are the bigger of the two majors in NZ as well as being an oxymoron as skono suggests

Edited by Guest

Well yea I wasn't starting on ISP's as I don't wanna go down that road. was more just having a stir in reaction to being stired myself.

It's ok contrary to the picture I am painting in this thread I do have a life outside of work and will live if you don't like it.

i dont have a cd player and my ipod broke so all i listen to is the radio and my vinyl collection.....

i now know how hard it is to produce a quality tune so i genuinely want to support the artists that make the music which has enhanced and changed my life....

and i dont have a wooden leg or a parrot on my shoulder or ride around in a big boat,nor do i carry a sword so therefore im not a pirate.

Well.. here's how I see this topic...

Things are changing fast in the 21st century, it's getting harder and harder to judge exactly how emerging technologies are affecting different industries.

The most extraordinary change recently has been the Internet and pretty much if your business isn't flexible enough to change, you're going to either get forced to, or you're going to cease to operate.

It's a huge mistake to view the Internet as a threat to your revenue, my theory is that the more conservative business managers are not as technically savvy as the younger 'up and comers'... as time goes on the younger generation will be coming up with some amazing ideas... shit will change faster and faster.

Piracy is forcing a change in business models large and small. The most affective way to force change is to hit them in their pockets, am I the only person who finds it funny when a crap hollywood movie flops at the box office and then they interview one of the producers who has a cry about how piracy has made things harder for them recently?... hello?... maybe it's because your movie was shit?! Maybe it's because you're still trying to full up movie theaters when most people have projectors in their houses now?!... fucks sake.. use your head.

I for one can't wait to see what lies around the corner...

maybe this isnt the right time for this but:

Volume in drive G is 320GB

Volume Serial Number is B415-8897

Directory of G:\MP3

Total Files Listed:

31295 File(s) 198,201,850,388 bytes

9389 Dir(s) 30,477,877,248 bytes free

They're mostly Hansen bootlegs I swear