what is personal integrity to you?

Guest Room101

okay, so i had an interesting chat with some older dero friends of my mum's last night over a couple of lion reds'...

notable topics of conversation were fear campaigns in the media, learning to snowboard in your forties and personal integrity...

which is what i want to get into here-

they thought came about that its better to stick to your word and lose out, than to break a promise or under deliver or do things late. especially in trade, but just in life generally...

so, what i want to know, from people of our generation, is how y'all feel about integrity and what that word means to you.

there was other stuff talked about, in the form of repeated drunken ramblings, such as, the inadaquecies of todays public schools, microchipping of humans, the younger generations addiction to technology and virtual/non-reality.... after the third or fourth spech about why sixteen year olds(a whole nutha topic) are/are not qualified to vote, i decided to bail. but they definately got me thinking. i realised that with all my own shit going on, and the busy lifestyles of the city, sometimes i get caught up and forget to look after the important "little things".

And, on that note - to all the people who said to me weeks ago that you wanted shirts from me, I WILL HAVE THEM at lunch time tommorow, so expect some phone calls people.

oh yeah, anyone who isnt aware of it, my birthday is this saturday, and for the first time in years im throwing a party. anyone is welcome so check out this link to our very own events section -

http://www.drumandbass.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2441

chur

yeah, i agree, but sometimes intervening factors mean that your word becomes broken, through no fault of your own... this is where it gets tricky.

but, i've recently realized that if theres even a slight chance of things not going according to plan, you cant promise a thing.

but yeah, better late never used to be my motto...till i realised that it sucks getting dicked around and your name ends up being mud. so, from now on its on time, every time.

even if that means i add a few days to the deadline to be safe.

if you dont have integrity, you dont have shit in my books.

lifes too short to give people the run around. its just a fuckin ridiculous waste of time. Sometimes the truth hurts, but no matter how painful, id rather know it straight up than get fed some bullshit.

even if shit goes wrong that is out of your control, its your obligation to keep the parties informed that are being effected by the unforseen delay.

safe

lifes too short to give people the run around. its just a fuckin ridiculous waste of time. Sometimes the truth hurts, but no matter how painful, id rather know it straight up than get fed some bullshit.

even if shit goes wrong that is out of your control, its your obligation to keep the parties informed that are being effected by the unforseen delay.

safe

You're blurring the line between integrity and principal here...

Principals are things that you described like being Reliable and Trust-worthy, integrity is consistently sticking to your own core set of values

If someone is a murderer and a thief however they have integrity by not varying from their principals that allow them to do these things... they still have integrity

If someone says that they have a principal and breaks it then sure they lack integrity. I can't think of a single person I know well who isn't at least slightly guilty of this. Those same people I still have bundles of respect for.

Edited by Guest

[

Principals are things that you described like being Reliable and Trust-worthy, integrity is consistently sticking to your own core set of values. If someone is a murderer and a thief however they have integrity but not varying from their principals of killing people and stealing from them... they still have integrity but I'd say they wouldn't have shit in your books

thank -you.

i guess thats actually what im getting at...

what are the core values of our generation or least this little microcosm of the generation.

interested to see what comes up as common ground.

for me, life is all about being happy, doing the best you can, helping others in your own way, being there for your family and friends, and standing up for your beliefs...

so i suppose the integrity part comes into play when i drop the ball on that set of principles right there. the old end justifying the means scenario just doesnt cut it for me though.

safe

Principals are things that you described like being Reliable and Trust-worthy, integrity is consistently sticking to your own core set of values. If someone is a murderer and a thief however they have integrity but not varying from their principals of killing people and stealing from them... they still have integrity but I'd say they wouldn't have shit in your books

in·teg·ri·ty

1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.

2. the state of being whole, entire, or undiminished: to preserve the integrity of the empire.

3. a sound, unimpaired, or perfect condition: the integrity of a ship's hull.

i dont think murdering people and stealing quite fits this bill cuz.

i guess "soundness of moral character" is subjective but still...

and he gets it in one.

Even if shit does blow up, be a 'man'(or woman) and tell them, admit it and see how you can fix it.

i dont think murdering people and stealing quite fits this bill cuz.

i guess "soundness of moral character" is subjective but still...

You're right, (after looking it up) Integrity doe's imply that your morals are of some standard (Which like you pointed out is subjective to many things)... the point I was trying to make is that someone with Integrity need not be trustworthy nor reliable which is still the case