Politcal Correctness in Music

kritical

What do you say about music that you don't like?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What do you say about music that you don't like?

• That sounded fucking shit and anyone who likes it is a retard.
    • That sounded shit in my oppinion
    • I didn't really like it...

I had quite a discussion about this at work the other day which proved to be really interesting... so I thought I'd bring it here...

I try never to say that any type of music is shit, or wrong, or whatever.. regardless if I like it or not I still presume that it must be musical in some shape or form... regardless if I don't like it... I'm sure for every tune I hate there must be quite a few people who absolutely love it...

At my someone said that a particular band sucked shit (Metallica) which I objected to.. a long argument ensued.. basically ended up with me being a politically correct mofo and the other person being on the other end of the scale...

My point of view: You can say you don't like a particular peice of music but you can't say that a peice of music is shit...

His point of view: If you don't like something then that's nobody elses business, if someone else says that some music that I like is shit then it's not really a big deal, their oppinion isn't going to stop me liking it or effect my life negatively.

---------

Okay so far that's pretty straight forward... and he has a valid point...

Another peice came into this argument... it was suggested that my politically correct stance on this only comes into play because I'm in the Music industry... ie by saying any band/dj/producer/mc is shit, someone could potentially say I'm shit.. and that's not cool...

So to prove this theory... could I get some input from people regarding your stance on political correctness? and please could you specify if you are actively involved in the Music Industry?...

This is the LONGEST thread I've ever made by far...

I agree, whether music is deemed to be good or not is entirely subjective. While I may think a song is total shite I'm not usually the sort of person to voice my opinion quite so bluntly. Being into dnb you always get to see this situation from the wrong side of the fence where people not into it immediately think what I love is shit, so I can understand that what I don't like most probably sounds wonderful to others. I just don't see the point in causing confrontation over such a small matter, and I find the narrow mindedness/big headed nature of people who do to be a big fuckin turn off.

Music is serious business to me and always has been, I consider myself open-minded with other music genres and I don't judge people who listen to stuff i'm not into.. within reason.. I've studied the mainstream music industry at university and have a reasonable understanding of WHY and HOW some very, very shit music becomes popular, so i'm comfortable with all that..

Oh btw, kritical..

YOUR FAVOURITE BAND SUCKS

I used to be all "That was shit and you're a retard for listening to it" But now I'm a little more "That was shit, in my opinion" just because it's easier than arguing about it. But rest assured I'm THINKING "That was shit and you're a retard"... hahahaha

Music is serious business to me and always has been, I consider myself open-minded with other music genres and I don't judge people who listen to stuff i'm not into.. within reason.. I've studied the mainstream music industry at university and have a reasonable understanding of WHY and HOW some very, very shit music becomes popular, so i'm comfortable with all that..

Oh btw, kritical..

YOUR FAVOURITE BAND SUCKS

I concurr

dark step Or as u love to call it "pots and pans"

Well I'm for the safe option and I think why many music makers take the pc route is there are those who talk about it and there are those who make it.

At the end of the day what would you rather be?

My involvement: I talk rubbish about it but I'm somehow validated by the fact that I have a camera and also talk to people who make it

This also does mean that I will be extra carefull in being pc as I do have plans to do stuff in more genres than just d'n'b so I don't want to burn any bridges.