torrent raids!

Grind

The long arm of the law is cracking down hard on torrents.. Oink is the latest to be shut down by the cops.. extreme

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/7057812.stm

Good article on Oink:

http://www.negrophonic.com/2007/defending-the-pig-oink-croaks/

TV-Links is gone as well.. and a few weeks ago the RIAA nailed some women in America for $200K worth of illegal file-sharing.. ouch

SOUR had a positive effect on the scene IMO

They ripped a lot of dnb that was exclusively available on vinyl (i.e. to DJ's). They ripped to VBR MP3 which is only really good for home listening and not playing out therefore their rips served to increase exposure to dnb and the decrease in vinyl sales due to the rips should be small.

Net effect is more people listening to dnb -> more people eventually buying dnb. I know SOUR played a substantial role in my dnb education and I still sometimes listen to a SOUR rip before buying just cause the previews given by most websites are not good enough to make an informed decision as to whether or not to buy - especially in dnb music which is so heavily dependent on production

Just look for the cheesy anti-floppy copy video on you-tube - there is some seriously funny stuff in that - It even had a rap! - Thats what these campaigns are missing these days... a related song that no one will ever copy cause its shit =p

How about more people get into Dnb because its free -> less people see DnB as worth spending money on

If you focus on vinyl which is still by far the major medium for drum and bass and major medium for SOUR rips then like I said, most people don't buy records so SOUR served to provide access to something that people probably wouldn't have paid for anyway. People listening to SOUR rips might then start going to DnB gigs and since gigs are the predominate source of income for dnb producers that can mix then that means more money into scene. These people might then get addicted and start buying records.

As for CD's - which SOUR also ripped the case is less strong obviously but I think studies have been done which show that quite often piracy leads to people listening to more music rather than buying less music.

Nah man.. at the end of the day, drum'n'bass has suffered majorly from illegal downloading. Any label will tell you that the sales have gone down ridiculously as a result of soulseek etc. Back in the day everyone bought vinyl regardless of whether they actually 'mixed' or called themselves 'DJs'. People would just rock it on their home record players an shit. Nowadays the music is so devalued most people don't wanna pay for it.. even half the 'DJs' don't even pay for their music.

I do see your point, and I started off downloading mp3's before I started buying records as well. But we're actually the exceptions to the rule. The industry has been fucked by p2p, in that there hardly is an industry anymore.. except for in touring/DJing. And the clubbing/nightlife scene has NOT grown much either.. in most places it's actually getting smaller! (Yes, even NZ, 'The Breaks' used to get 500 peeps raving to dnb/jungle/techstep on a Thursday night!)

There's no point fighting it now though.. the revolution is pretty much already over.. What a time we chose to be born aye.

Always look on the bright side of life

We're now at a point that what we listen to and watch is not dictated by a Radio Jockey or Television Producers...

Before Internet Downloads were around it was a lot harder to listen to good music or watch quality media...

The Internet is here and it is a great thing... to all of the Record Labels complaining about reduced sales... don't be too quick to blame the Internet...

If you're pumping out Vinyl and only Vinyl... you're limiting your market... there is no way you will ever be able to put your Vinyl in EVERY record store in the world...

Setup an online store, advertise it properly, do a good job of it... join us in the 21st Century. Then if your sales are still decreasing it's because your music is shit!... if it were good people would buy it.

The argument that Internet Piracy is killing the industry is only used by industry players who are inept at change...

Definitely another valid point there man.

The music industry pretty much shot itself in the foot since day one of p2p.. you gotta be dynamic, cos the technology sure as hell is.

Think of Oink for example.. the majors could have just bought it out, charged subscription fees, and they'd be away laughing. I'd definitely pay $xxx amount of money per month to be LEGALLY subscribed to that MASSIVE archive of music, all strictly recorded as full albums and with 320 mp3 being the absolute MINIMUM accepted sound quality.. it was dope.

That kind of 'subscription model' as it's known would've been the way forward if the big record companies had acted fast enough I reckon.. now most people are used to not paying for music, so it''ll be hard to tell them otherwise.

Recently a lot of large corporations are trying to get the buy-online model to work... I think Apple and Sony are two examples?

I think it's a step in the right direction, start using the Internet as a tool instead of trying to bring in regulation to stop it completely...

Two points I'd like to make:

1: Product - It's not just about the music... I think some of the larger industry players are failing because they are selling just mp3's... there is more to selling music than just the digital music file...

Artwork - DVD's - Special Features - Posters - Miscellaneous Merchandise - ONLINE ADVERTISING!!! - Clothing

2: Ingenuity - Do something different! You-Tube was different, Google was different (and continues to push the boundaries), MySpace/Facebook was different...

When someone figures out the best method of doing music online you will know about it... because they wont be making millions... they'll be making BILLIONS of dollars...

(I bet that it will be a system which is free for users, all content is user generated, and artists/users make profit from sales)

Until then it's anyones game...

Yeah I agree that people have become used to not paying for music now which makes it harder to make a sustainable business model in the music industry. DRM is advancing fairly rapidly though and if the industry can provide something extra to legitimate buyers or deprive something from illegal downloaders via DRM then it should provide the needed incentive to get people to start paying for music again. Hopefully at less ridiculously inflated prices...

I think record companies are on the way out. I mean look at Radiohead just did and made 10 million dollars. Yeah sure it's Radiohead and they have a huge following. But Trent Revor and Saul Williams are doing an album that is going to get released the same way.

I honestly believe someone is going to come up with some great business model for this shit and it's going to be like the next utube. Google or some other giant company will buy them out for billions of dollars.

Anyone care to get together and start thinking.

I loved Oink and TV Links. I was more upset about TV links cause the TV over here is so behind what we have in the States and that makes me sad.

I think record companies are on the way out. I mean look at Radiohead just did and made 10 million dollars. Yeah sure it's Radiohead and they have a huge following. But Trent Revor and Saul Williams are doing an album that is going to get released the same way.

I honestly believe someone is going to come up with some great business model for this shit and it's going to be like the next utube. Google or some other giant company will buy them out for billions of dollars.

Anyone care to get together and start thinking.

I loved Oink and TV Links. I was more upset about TV links cause the TV over here is so behind what we have in the States and that makes me sad.

http://www.tvfreeload.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...