Dual core vs P4

zzzp

How much better is a dual core compared to a P4.

Me current PC is overclocked from 3ghz - 3.84ghz , and i cant get any more stability out of it above there..temps are all good, using a pelitier (tec) which keeps things legit, however afaik my motherboard will support a dual core proccesor . Thinking of upgrading the cpu, but not sure whether im guna gain much .

Any ideas.

i dobult that your p4 motherboard can support a dual core processor?

theyre different slots arent they?

dual core processers are simply that, they have 2 processors in 1.

so, even if you got a 2.13ghz core 2 duo processor (which is quite average these days) you effectively get 4.26ghz of processing power.

so in short, yes, its worth it.

/me waits for nato to correct me on something

It really depends on what you are doing...

Single Threaded applications (95% of Games and Applications) only utilize one Processor at a time... having a dual core processor means that you would essentially run just as fast on a P4 in this scenario....

The advantage of a dual core is prevalent when you run many apps at one... increasing overall load, or if you run Multi-threaded applications... I think the New version of Photoshop and CAD applications support that sort of thing...

I would stick to your P4 unless you are rolling in dough... probably better money would be spent pimpin your Graphics if you're anything of a gamer and there's room for improvment

Edited by Guest

i dobult that your p4 motherboard can support a dual core processor?

theyre different slots arent they?

dual core processers are simply that, they have 2 processors in 1.

so, even if you got a 2.13ghz core 2 duo processor (which is quite average these days) you effectively get 4.26ghz of processing power.

so in short, yes, its worth it.

/me waits for nato to correct me on something

In theory they should be 2 times faster, but in reality it's more like 1.5 - 1.75 times faster. But yea, a dual core should be a significant amount faster than an overclocked single core.

Assuming its a recent-ish P4 (and by looking at the clocks it is), it will be LGA775, which is the same as the Core 2 Architecture, and the Pentium D's (aka 2 P4's stuck together). So yes, your mobo will support a dual core CPU.

If its worthwhile is another question though. It will prolly be using DDR ramz, have a locked fsb and such. Go buy a newer chipset, 680i's and the ds3p's are good if you wish to get plenty of headroom. Hell, there is even that new one that supports DDR3.

Otherwise your just wasting the potential of your hardware.

You might have to update the bios etc anyways; which is always a pain the ass. Pentium D's should work off the bat though. Depends on your budget as per usual.

also Pakage you've been on IRC way to long.

*edit* Also, everything Dr Weazle said is a lie. x2 cores != x2 performance boost. I can't be bothered finding documentation, but just trust me. or google.

*edit 2*

Single Threaded applications (95% of Games and Applications) only utilize one Processor at a time... having a dual core processor means that you would essentially run just as fast on a P4 in this scenario....

I would stick to your P4 unless you are rolling in dough... probably better money would be spent pimpin your Graphics if you're anything of a gamer and there's room for improvment

I disagree with this also. 95% of all recent games are not single threaded anymore. And even if they were it wouldn't matter, anything later than XP sp2 (assuming we are in a windows enviorment here) supports multicore processors, so your OS is going to balance the load, aka game on Core 1 and other Apps on Core 2. which is going to be a huge boost over a single (hyperthreaded) core. Look at the CPU charts on Toms hardware if you don't believe me. Also I don't understand people who buy new graphics cards and stick them on mobos with P4's: got bottleneck?

Edited by Guest

Assuming its a recent-ish P4 (and by looking at the clocks it is), it will be LGA775, which is the same as the Core 2 Architecture, and the Pentium D's (aka 2 P4's stuck together). So yes, your mobo will support a dual core CPU.

If its worthwhile is another question though. It will prolly be using DDR ramz, have a locked fsb and such. Go buy a newer chipset, 680i's and the ds3p's are good if you wish to get plenty of headroom. Hell, there is even that new one that supports DDR3.

You might have to update the bios etc anyways; which is always a pain the ass. Pentium D's should work off the bat though. Depends on your budget as per usual.

*edit* Also, everything Dr Weazle said is a lie. x2 cores != x2 performance boost. I can't be bothered finding documentation, but just trust me. or google.

Errr, get some glasses, or read something properly before you comment on it. 2 x cores != 2 x performance is exactly what I was saying... duhhh.

edit: I dont do hardcore "geekxplainations" for questions like this, I try keep it somewhat simple for those who aren't hardcore technonerds, as some people prefer not to have to get Bill Gates to come and translate the technobabble into english for them.

So sorry if that offended you so much that you felt you had to be a cock about it.

Edited by Guest

Hexa-c0re ftw d00d

yeah bro.

we need some 3 dimensional cores up in here or somethin i rekkon.

oneday soon maybe.

i was watching a scientific article that said that $1000 of computing power in the year 2020 will have more processing power than the human mind.

w00t

www.ted.com

some fucking interesting discussions on there! check em out!

i was watching a scientific article that said that $1000 of computing power in the year 2020 will have more processing power than the human mind.

Skepticles

saw it on that ted website, which is video's of some of the best scientific minds and thinkers on the planet giving speeches at this yearly conference in monterey.

id say that they probably know what theyre talking about?! well, they had pretty sound arguments anywayz.

loads of interesting stuffs on there anywayz, definately check it out cuz.

Yea... it's an article by Raymond Kurzweil... he's become fairly famous, partly from his predictions of current technology which he successfully predicted in the 80's/90's...

I'm sure that you could argue that computers can currently out perform the processing power of the human mind... such as in 1997 when chess World Champion Gary Kasparov was defeated by IBM’s Deep Blue computer. If you wanted to argue that the technology in Deep Blue will be worth $1000 in just over 10 years... well, thats a trend... not much of a prediction...

I just don't really think we'll achieve something which compares to the Human brain in 2019 for $1000... perhaps something that can out perform it at a certain task... hardware wise.

*edit 2*

I disagree with this also. 95% of all recent games are not single threaded anymore. And even if they were it wouldn't matter, anything later than XP sp2 (assuming we are in a windows enviorment here) supports multicore processors, so your OS is going to balance the load, aka game on Core 1 and other Apps on Core 2. which is going to be a huge boost over a single (hyperthreaded) core. Look at the CPU charts on Toms hardware if you don't believe me. Also I don't understand people who buy new graphics cards and stick them on mobos with P4's: got bottleneck?

cHEERS

Might just stick with it, slap another vid card in there n be done with it. I got this strange fasination of smoking up n cranking flight simulator X which is a fukin heavy program on high graphics.

asus P5ND2-SLI motherboard, 128meg graphics (is on the list to get rid of) , 2gb ram, n just some ghetto cooling setup. 3ghz clocked to 3.84 . thats just off the top of me head

hrm, Assuming your running a sane res, and have PCI-x grab yourself a 7900GS or GT second hand of tardme and you should be pretty sweet. Would be a more cost effective solution than a cpu/mobo/ram upgrade. Prolly only set you back ~$100. I'd recommend the GS personally; they overclock like mofo's.

Ok first off a Core 2 Duo will rape your p4. I had a p4 at similar clocks as you and upgraded to e6600 c2d and even at stock it wins, however OC it to 3.4ish and it is a beast. Unfortunately your motherboard does not support core 2 duo chips, only Pentium D, IMO a total waste of money, not worth the upgrade at all. For gaming yes a video card upgrade would be the way to go. Which version of Flight Sim are you playing? If you are on Flight Sim X then obviously you are going to need teh beats video card. I'm running an 8800GTX and even that struggles with FSX at high resolutions. I would suggest if money is not a factor then go for an 8800. If you are playing 1280x1024 then the 320mb version would be fine, costs about $430 new, and the 640mb is about $600 new. I'm sure these can be picked up cheaper on trademe, ebay etc. Another option is the new ATI cards, 2900xt etc. They are quite good value for money and are getting better and better performance as their drivers get better. If they are way out of your price range then look at a 2nd hand x1950xt, 7900gt or similar.

The following games are Multi-Threaded that I know of...

* Quake 4 (and Quake 3)

* Call Of Duty 2

* The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

* Supreme Commander

* World Of Warcraft (Burning Crusade)

* UT3

* Crysis

That's about %.1 of recent games at a guess I'm sure there's more but far and wide it is quite difficult to program a Multi-Treaded application.

And when a Windows Application or thread is created, the OS assigns it to one CPU or the other at Creation time based on current system-wide performance. It remains on that CPU for it's lifetime... if you start a game after starting 20 threads... then you could end up with the game and 10 other applications on one core, and everything else on the other. XP is very bad at load balancing in this way.

And besides... I mentioned that Dual core is better under these circumstances... why do you disagree with me and then say what I said? You even chopped what I said out when you quoted me

The advantage of a dual core is prevalent when you run many apps at one... increasing overall load

So im not the only munter who plays FSX then. Dobbie in 1 hand, force feedback joystick in the other , foot spa cranking , avocado facial....... wait. Its FSX standard not deluxe. Ive fuked round with the resolution of the terrain which makes a big diff, but still, it could do with alot more fluidness.

Aite, yeh not really willing to fork out too much but im guessing the more ram on the vid card the better really, regardless of its chipset etc?

Fuck, here we go again... war of the geeks 2

Aite, yeh not really willing to fork out too much but im guessing the more ram on the vid card the better really, regardless of its chipset etc?

Sometimes generally speaking but not always... it's not a good generalization to make... plenty of 128meg cards will piss on 256meg rivals

So im not the only munter who plays FSX then. Dobbie in 1 hand, force feedback joystick in the other , foot spa cranking , avocado facial....... wait. Its FSX standard not deluxe. Ive fuked round with the resolution of the terrain which makes a big diff, but still, it could do with alot more fluidness.

Not really man. You see these days they are making low end cards with heaps of memory but which have bugger all processing power in the core and they just perform terribly.

As mentioned earlier, a 512mb 7900gs or gt if you can find a good deal on one of those would suit you fine. TBH even a 7800gtx would be a big improvement on what you currently have and it doesn't sound like you need teh newest hardware anyway, just something which will let you bake out and play Flight Sim.

The following games are Multi-Threaded that I know of...

* Quake 4 (and Quake 3)

* Call Of Duty 2

* The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

* Supreme Commander

* World Of Warcraft (Burning Crusade)

* UT3

* Crysis

The HL2, and ET:QW (and Doom 3) can be added I'm fairly sure, as with CoH/OF. Oh and Bf2 and 2142.

That's about %.1 of recent games at a guess

haha err world of warcrack?

Also of course XP is bad, which is why you should all go out and buy vista, just don't mind that its bloated. XP is now 10 gazillion years old anyways. Vista is a marked improvement on this front however.

And besides... I mentioned that Dual core is better under these circumstances... why do you disagree with me and then say what I said? You even chopped what I said out when you quoted me

The advantage of a dual core is prevalent when you run many apps at one... increasing overall load

I blame stress. And exams. valid points though. Valid point indeed. Its true. Don't know about multi threading being hard to pull off though, its been around in the unix world for years, and Q3A did it ages ago. Just depends on the initial engine coding; everyone just seems to be using other peoples engines thesedays.