Rangitoto 'eruption' a publicity stunt

Pakage

Smoke billowing from Rangitoto in Auckland's Hauraki Gulf this morning was part of a publicity stunt, not a genuine eruption.

The stunt was carried out by Marc Ellis' new company, mintshot.

A spokesman said the police were unaware of the stunt and were disappointed they had not been given advance warning as a precaution.

However, they said the event had been a "bit of a fizzer really".

Will Stamers-Smith of St Mary's Bay said he noticed planes with a mintshot.co.nz banner about 6.45am then noticed Rangiototo "erupting".

He described it as a "classic stunt".

Inspector Matt Sillars of the Auckland police said: "We received a small number of calls from other services, but not many calls from the public.

"Obviously ambulance and the fire service have received a few calls and contacted us.

"But from our point of view we would really have liked some advance warning.

"No one organising the event contacted us. It would have been nice to know of an event of this magnitude in advance."

A publicity release for the company issued this morning said: "The publicity stunt was lead by mintshot director Marc Ellis, who along with fellow directors Ben Hickey and Nick Dalton ascended Rangitoto in the early hours of the morning and using smoke flares simulated an eruption of the extinct volcano."

A film of the "guerilla marketing" stunt will be shown on 20/20 on TV2 at 9.30pm tonight.

--

LOL!!!

did anyone see this?!

cos its a poos stunt...

i was like "wow some ones set up a smoke bomb woooooo"

... im cynical though

Got a better idea?

hundreds,,,,

not gonna list them here

I certainly wouldnt glorify subjecting the masses to more mind numbing adverts and "wow-weee " getting paid fer it,,,

less advertising more subverting ,,,

hundreds,,,,

not gonna list them here

I certainly wouldnt glorify subjecting the masses to more mind numbing adverts and "wow-weee " getting paid fer it,,,

cause advertising thus making money would actually mean you could pay people?

you should possibly subscribe to that idea

cos its a poos stunt...

i was like "wow some ones set up a smoke bomb woooooo"

... im cynical though

Got a better idea?

hundreds,,,,

not gonna list them here

i dunno, wasn't that the point of this stunt? he got his message out there without using the same old mediums that everyones sick to death of

on his website, people can choose whether they want to sit through the shitty ads, it's entirely optional. better than the current model isn't it?

less advertising more subverting - interesting business model mate, not sure how it would front up in the market though!

i just started an account actually cause i had some time to kill today, and raked up M3,400 (which is like their mintshot money for auctioning items on the site) in about 1 hour, this scheme would prolly be suited for ppl with no social life and not having a job would be a major advantage of winning the auctions for the prizes.

I kinda like the idea, but as soon as the hax0rs start joining, winning an auction on an item would become alot harder.

....watching copious amounts of adverts to score points for items is a really desperate way to get something for free...

Marc Ellis' Mintshot site hacked

Marc Ellis' new mintshot.co.nz website, which gets visitors to view ads to earn 'mint dollars' and bid for products, has been hacked.

A statement this morning said that there had been a security breach in the Mint Tick game on the site.

This "allowed a handful of users to tamper with the Mint Tick auction system", it said.

Helpful members of the site alerted the administrators to the security hole.

Repeat offenders had been removed from the system.

Auctions that were running when the breach occurred have been temporarily suspended and the Mint Tick auction system removed.

"Once we have rectified the issue with the Mint Tick product we will re-instate the auctions that were running," it said.

hah