Is it possible to mix Drum N' Bass into a Metal Base?

adriano_de_melo

Sure - just heat up all your vinyl until its back to liquid, combine it with a molten metal of some sort (quality counts here people - we and dnb.co.nz prefer titanium or something off an old v8... your choice), then pour into a base mould.

NB: Your finished result may differ depending on the genre of dnb you use for your vinyl. Techstep plates will make the base real hard, and almost brittle, jump up may cause the base to be unstable and wobble, if you have too many liquid plates the base may not harden. So remember to keep a balance when using your plates for an experiment like this.

and there you have it... a complete waste of time and tunes

lols

it's really down to BPM, they have to be reasonably similar (around 170-180). Also it really helps if the drums in the metal track have been recorded to a clicktrack (most good bands do nowdays). Find something in a complementary key and mix away!

I've played with it a few times and it's pretty difficult to do smoothly, mainly down to the metal track's drums being loose and the overall mix of the recordings which is usually too different to fit together well. I hate to say it but nu-metal production is much closer to dnb and would probably mix best.

When mixing down dnb engineers have kinda a strict set of guidelines to adhere to (whether or not they consciously realise it). Metal is much more open.

ill stick to the fly honies thanks, holla julie!

bit harsh tho, yall.. give the idea a chance! I thought that slayer remix was dope bro! would be cool to see a little more stuff like this come out, not too much.. But a bit would be cool, its always good rock out every once in a while! But i dont really think that mixing them on turntables is the way to go, stick to samples and cranking it outta a computer.

ez

wat a we talking about here actual tunes with metal samples or mixing in metal to drumandbass you no crossover. i thought it was crossover were did those juilies go.im dwn for the tunes that have been produced but live act no thanks im not being harsh just real each to thier own i spose be good to see slayer playing at a d& b gig,shit who would they play along side? wounder if it would be an angry nght.

metal is wicked

dnb is wicked

BUT i don't think there's been a good dnb-metal crossover tune YET

klute - learning curve is the only bogan-style track i would play

i think dnb and metal have very different principles, and metal has heaps of tempo changes and switchups that would fuck with your beat match.

but yeah, i'd like to see more experimentation with it for sure.

the whole metal-dnb thing has been done to death, the only people it attracts are bogans and x bogans imo. good way to scare away the woman - there is already waaay to little in the scene.

If your worried about a lack of women in your scene start djing house mate, cause I think they'd give a shit about similar issues also.

I couldn't care less about what types of dnb are out there, but when people start complaining about it as a whole it really dissapoints me. Auckland has lots of liquid, it's pretty much dominated by it from my brief observation so far. I think this lack of women your sad about is part in fact something to do with how clubs/promoters are advertising their gigs.

I quite enjoy going out with just the boys though, as I live with my partner and don't need to aquire one in da club. Perhaps my opinion is slightly influenced.

on the metal thing, I don't think metal guitars really suit dnb from the few examples I've heard, I'd like to be proven wrong as I think that a lot of the digital sound (synths and sampling) is getting a bit lazy atm due to how easy it is with many sequencers and vstis. I'd love to hear some real classical orchestra influenced dnb make a bit of a come back.

Anything non commercial and disposable pls.

atomik - cool it on the ex-bogan call, i reckon about 75% of junglists in this country are ex-bogans, including most of our more successful exports: concord dawn, state of mind, the upbeats, presha etc

SECT - auckland is far from dominated by liquid bro. until rotation came about a few months ago, auckland hadn't had a regular liquid night since glide (18 months ago?) there's not enough liquid in AK, everyones into Noisia, or Pendulum.

hey hey, no need to get angry guys, i've always been one known for starting big debates about music in general, and if you read my post you can see that i put imo, which means in my opinion.

People are obviously feeling the rock dnb crossover thing otherwise it wouldn't be so popular, concord, and the whole tech thing is all very rock influenced. its not my cuppa personally but i know a few chicks that think dnb is all just that....

I'd personally rather hear a dj play a bit of jump up, big of jungle, bit of tech (non metal tech), i used to listen to a lot of rock in my younger days and maybe overdosed on it, maybe why i don't like it so much now....

anyways, all good in the hood bro's chill

anyone who came to Concord Dawn on Waiheke a few weeks back will remember a tune Even dropped, it was full on metal.

Me and Stefaan (lighting guy) were like 'fucken hell' and waited for it to drop, but it didnt. Sick sounding tune, real heavy, guitars and shit.

After asking Even what the fuck that tune was it turned out to be a tune by Evol Intent, cant remember the tunes name, but it was the most 'metalist' dnb tune we have ever heard.

Serious sick biz, keep an ear out during the Dawns tour, no doubt to be dropped again.......

i still think amon tobin's slayer bootleg (red pentagram etched vinyl) is one of the best 'proper metal' tracks as it just tears my speakers apart with a wall of sound.

concord dawn's raining blood was another example of a metal sounding guitar hook with that absolutly MAD solo in the middle.

This just goes to show that it doesnt matter what 'genre' the tune is, the tune still has to be quality