Cleaning your vinyl

hybriddnb

Even though the tracking force of most stylus are usually quite small (~1.5 grams), this force is applied to such a small area that the pressure on the walls of the groove can be surprisingly high...

Simple calculation based on these figures gives a stylus pressure of 240 grams per square mm, or 340 pounds per square inch (Source)

If you include the fact that the walls aren't flat, those figures are higher

If you think about that, then adding an abrasive to the story will wear the groove faster over time...

Distilled water is used for cleaning records and CDs for many reasons. Its precise chemical makeup is known, it will not leave any residue behind, is safe to use, and is inexpensive. Water disperses static charges and counteracts the increase in conductivity from the pick-up of salt deposits from finger prints. However, water alone cannot dissolve grease, thus surfactants are used as additives to enable water to be a grease solvent. Surfactants break grease surface bonds and allow water to penetrate grease solids, causing swelling and then random dispersion.

Here's more info... here

I say soapy water and then distilled water to rinse it... then rinse it again... proppa

Gullability is probably the main ingredient

The same type of people who think they aren't getting enough Vitamin K - its POTASSIUM people!

Yeah this coming from a guy that spends 25 dollars on a twelve inch instead of 15

Ill just use the cash that i save on my records to buy a decent cleaning cloth or brush. That wont scratch my records to shit and cover it in more dust like a normal cloth will.

This is quoted from the same source catalyst posted.

Care of LP's, 45's and other Vinyl Records

Most LPs and singles released after the early fifties are composed of polyvinyl materials and are more durable than it's predecessors. When cleaning vinyl records, I recommend a 50/50 solution of isopropyl alcohol or denatured alcohol (fewer impurities) and filtered or distilled water (again, fewer impurities)

And the cleaning fluids i have read contain a mix of isopropyl and distilled water i think thats pretty much the deal

This is also on there so both ways are presumably possible i would say one would just be easier

A mild detergent, such as Johnson and Johnson Baby Bath, can be used in small amounts with water with no rinsing necessary.

• 2 weeks later...