Anyone play much pool?

Rolf

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't get to safari till like 8:30 at the earliest ... is that too late to enter?

Also if you get a chance can you post up the official rules here aswell?

Stuff like shooting behind the D, hitting the opponents ball first, penalties.. that type of thing always get disputed..

I recon Rolf since this competition is your brain child you should get to dictate the official rules

kaos and i had a game.. and i lost completly...but good i reckon for my first offcial game i sunk 2 balls .. can i get a WOOT!? i ws prety red eyed too

just talked to the guys at safari. they sound keen. it's now $2 entry fee for a $50 bar tab (i think thats what we agreed on...) tickets if we have them. 8:30 start.

now i have questions: should it be a one game decider or best of three? shooting back from the D? and opinions on foul shot rule: should it be ball in hand? should it be less of an advantage? should there even be a foul shot rule?

i'll probably go with the first response i get (as long as it's not stupid)

i'll post all rules soon...

kaos and i had a game.. and i lost completly...but good i reckon for my first offcial game i sunk 2 balls .. can i get a WOOT!? i ws prety red eyed too

nah man you won a! i sunk the black on the first 1 and same on the second. bloody rules.

haha shows how much i payed attention

yus! i am the champion

now i have questions: should it be a one game decider or best of three? shooting back from the D? and opinions on foul shot rule: should it be ball in hand? should it be less of an advantage? should there even be a foul shot rule?

- There should be a one game decider for all the games except the final which should be best of three

- No shooting back from the D (that only aplies if you use the line)

- No foul shots

here we go. see you all tuesday.

Competition Rules

OBJECT OF THE GAME

Eight-Ball is a game played with a cue ball and 15 object balls, numbered 1 through 15. One player must pocket balls of the group numbered 1 through 7 (solid colours), while the other player has 9 through 15 (stripes). The player pocketing either group first, and then legally pocketing the 8-ball wins the game.

RACKING THE BALLS

The balls are racked in a triangle at the foot of the table with the 8-ball in the centre of the triangle, the first ball of the rack on the foot spot, a stripe ball in one corner of the rack and a solid ball in the other corner.

LEGAL BREAK SHOT

(Defined) To execute a legal break, the breaker (with the cue ball on the D) must either (1) pocket a ball, or (2) drive at least four numbered balls to the rail. When the breaker fails to make a legal break, it is a foul, and the incoming player has the option of (1) accepting the table in position and shooting, or (2) having the balls reracked and having the option of shooting the opening break or allowing the offending player to rebreak.

OBJECT BALLS JUMPED OFF TABLE ON THE BREAK

If a player jumps an object ball off the table on the break shot, it is a foul and the incoming player has the option of (1) accepting the table in position and shooting, or (2) taking cue ball in hand behind the D and shooting.

8-BALL POCKETED ON THE BREAK

If a player pockets the 8-ball on the break shot, it is considered an instant win whether any other ball is pocketed or not.

OPEN TABLE

(Defined) The table is "open" when the choice of groups (stripes or solids) has not yet been determined. When the table is open, it is legal to hit a solid first to make a stripe or vice-versa.

LEGAL SHOT

(Defined) On all shots (except on the break and when the table is open), the shooter must hit one of his group of balls first and pocket a numbered ball. Failing to hit an object ball is considered a foul. Please Note: It is permissible for the shooter to bank the cue ball off a rail before contacting the object ball. A player should be aware that it will be considered a cue ball foul if during an attempt to jump, curve or masse the cue ball over or around an impeding numbered ball that is not a legal object ball, the impeding ball moves (regardless of whether it was moved by a hand, cue stick follow-through or bridge).

PLAYING FROM THE D

When playing from the D the cue ball must be played forwards at no less than a ninety degree angle. Cue ball can be played from anywhere within the D. Note: when shooting for the 8-ball from the D when it lies behind the D, it is not a loss of game if the 8-ball is missed. It is considered an honest attempt.

SCORING

A player is entitled to continue shooting until failing to legally pocket a ball of his group. After a player has legally pocketed all of his group of balls, he shoots to pocket the 8-ball.

FOUL PENALTY

Any foul results in loss of turn. Incoming player has the choice of playing the cue ball as it lies or taking the cue ball behind the D. When playing the 8-ball it results in loss of game.

COMBINATION SHOTS

Combination shots are allowed; however, the 8-ball can't be used as a first ball in the combination. Should such contact occur on the 8-ball, it is a foul.

ILLEGALLY POCKETED BALLS

An object ball is considered to be illegally pocketed when that object ball is pocketed on the same shot a foul is committed. Illegally pocketed balls remain pocketed and are scored in favour of the shooter controlling that specific group of balls, solids or stripes.

OBJECT BALLS JUMPED OFF THE TABLE

If any object ball is jumped off the table, it is a foul and loss of turn, unless it is the 8-ball, which is a loss of game. Any jumped object balls are to be respotted.

JUMP AND MASSE SHOT FOUL

A player should be aware that it will be considered a cue ball foul if during an attempt to jump, curve or masse the cue ball over or around an impeding numbered ball that is not a legal object ball, the impeding ball moves (regardless of whether it was moved by a hand, cue stick follow-through or bridge).

PLAYING THE 8-BALL

When the 8-ball is the legal object ball, a scratch or foul is a loss of game. Note: A combination shot can never be used to legally pocket the 8-ball, except when the 8-ball is the first ball contacted in the shot sequence.

HONEST ATTEMPT

When the 8-ball is the legal object ball and there is no clear shot (snookered), or if you are playing from the D and the 8-ball lies behind the D, it not considered a loss of game if the 8-ball is missed, it is considered an honest attempt. However, if after sinking your last object ball you snooker yourself, there is no honest attempt rule.

LOSS OF GAME

A player loses the game by committing any of the following infractions:

1. Fouls when pocketing the 8-ball (exception: see 8-Ball Pocketed On The

Break).

2. Pockets the 8-ball on the same stroke as the last of his group of balls.

3. Jumps the 8-ball off the table at any time.

4. Pockets the 8-ball when it is not the legal object ball.

Note: All infractions must be called before another shot is taken, or else it will be deemed that no infraction occurred.

comments? suggestions? all welcome.