Rane or Pioneer?

hybriddnb

Rane or Pioneer?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Rane or Pioneer?

• Rane
    • Pioneer

the empath is a pretty simple mixer. it doesnt have effects or anything too fancy.

However it does have the capability to have an external effects unit hooked up to it if you really need the filters & flangers and shit..

Also it does have analoguely adjustable cross fader and channel fader curves which is cool. It means you can easily use the mixer for both mixing and scratching.

And i find that its minimal design means that even though it doesnt have all the bells and whistles, what it does have is solid as fuck.

The EQ's actually do what theyre meant to do, ie. if you turn the bass EQ down it kills the bass without killing the midrange much or at all. Its quite a hard thing to do aparantly, as soo many mixers fuck it up.. i freakin hate it when you flick the bass off and it almost cuts out the whole tune..

They use lots of quality components in the rane's like penny & guile faders which are the same ones they use in the Allen & Heath mixers etc..

like tom said. Rane or GTFO!

The DJM 800 is sweet but between the two you are looking at it has to be the Empath, or as was mentioned, you could give the Xone32 a look. I haven't used the 32 before but the 92 is by far the best piece of dj equipment I've ever used.

if you turn the bass EQ down it kills the bass without killing the midrange much or at all. Its quite a hard thing to do aparantly, as soo many mixers fuck it up.. i freakin hate it when you flick the bass off and it almost cuts out the whole tune

The Xone'62 @ UPFM was doing that to me last night! I hadn't experienced that before and was real put off. Anyone else have that problem with the UP FM mixer? And do all the 62's do it or is just that mixer that's fucked?

if you turn the bass EQ down it kills the bass without killing the midrange much or at all. Its quite a hard thing to do aparantly, as soo many mixers fuck it up.. i freakin hate it when you flick the bass off and it almost cuts out the whole tune

The Xone'62 @ UPFM was doing that to me last night! I hadn't experienced that before and was real put off. Anyone else have that problem with the UP FM mixer? And do all the 62's do it or is just that mixer that's fucked?

That is the exact reason I bought the 92 and not the 62. In my opinion it is a huge flaw. Basically you have to ensure not to pull back the bass eq on the 62 all the way which is a stupid thing to ask of a madman dj in the midst of a wild tech mix.

And yes, it is not just the Up FM 62, it is all 62's.

Nah you can actually go really close to the 7 o'clockish stopping point, if you just muck about with 1 tune you will hear a definite cut point where the bass/mid cuts out. It is designed to be used as some sort of bizarre kill switch replacement as far as I can tell. So yeah, it doesn't actually affect the eq until you get to the very end of the rotation, but a slight slip can make a mix sound terrible. Not the sort of thing I want to be wary of when mixing. I don't know if the 32 suffers the same issue but it is nowhere to be seen on the 92's as you would well know.

Dude why even bother using the EQ's with sick filters like that? Unfortunately one of them is fucked at UPfm so yea that sux. Not a big issue though just leave the bass at 3...

Haha yeah i noticed that as well on the UPfm mixer after fucking up a few filter sweeps.

I was doing my bass cutting with the HPF's on the 92 for a while but I stopped because I found it was just one more thing to keep track of i.e. you need to make sure the bass is up AND the filter is off when you're trying to drop a tune. It sucks when you take the filter down / off and the tune drops with no bass cause you forgot that you had the bass knob down as well

yeah I guess it could work for some people

personally I like to do a lot of EQ in the mids and highs as well as lots of filter sweeps with high resonance so if i'm doing my basscuts with the filters it means I have to worry about the filter switch, cutoff, and resonance on both channels which is an extra 6 things to keep track of. Add that to the 4 eq bands, signal levels (very important with CDJ's), and volume faders on both channels and it starts to become a bit of a mission

These days I just keep the resonace on both filters to a little less than max and only switch them on when i'm actually doing a sweep then straight back off.