Did I just hear a repeat?

elicte

If you were playing out and you heard the dj (or 2) play the same tune as you had planned to play, would you...  

22 members have voted

1. 1. If you were playing out and you heard the dj (or 2) play the same tune as you had planned to play, would you...

• play the same tune anyway
    • change your set
    • Who cares

I guess part of the inherant trouble could be dj's playing more than one gig/ other prior commitments/ being too cool to hang at the club all night not actually hearing the previous plays.

Looks like you will have to stalk dj's to see how long they have been in the club before the lynching can begin. Either that or set up a playlist system.

Depends what the tune was. If it was a big badass new tune which few people would recognise then hell yeah I'd play it. If it was a song that maybe I had dug up out of my crate with the intention of dropping it and somehow the dj playing before me had the same idea as me then no, I probably wouldn't play it..

id just change my set aye. its not like i rock a pre planned set with a tracklist written down anywayz..

freestyle baby, thats how we roll.

yeah word....its bound to happen here and there though,especially with a track that is popular at the time,an onto it dj would make sure hes an hour early to check the previous djs set to make sure he doesnt double anything up....im with mike on this one though......if the track is played again a couple hours apart i see no harm in that....a good tune is a good tune.

Depends what the tune was. If it was a big badass new tune which few people would recognise then hell yeah I'd play it. If it was a song that maybe I had dug up out of my crate with the intention of dropping it and somehow the dj playing before me had the same idea as me then no, I probably wouldn't play it..

Yep spot on.

A side question: If you were supporting a big name Dj would you play one of his or her tunes(or one off their label) without asking them first?

I wouldn't anymore, when I supported Big Bud i dropped a Kubik and Lomax track off Soundtrax (which was my fav tune at the time) and he came running out asking me not to play the other side! He ended up dropping both sides in his set.

If I was a dj.......but im not

I would just smash the choon regradless but maybe cut it up a bit... and or hopefully have some obscure gash core uber oonst psy trance remix and play it in reverse over top of the original choon...

hense why im not a dj... ...

I would just smash the choon regradless but maybe cut it up a bit... and or hopefully have some obscure gash core uber oonst psy trance remix and play it in reverse over top of the original choon...

But now Im keen to hear what your sets would be like, psy-trance n gash ftw!

But now Im keen to hear what your sets would be like, psy-trance n gash ftw!

well mr mike u may have the (dis)pleasure of hearing it one day... I am not limited to genre and refuse to learn how to mix,,,,,the other night in a drunken state I was mashing blues and roni size then dropping dr sues then playing tech house then back in to dnb then playing dj spooky and back in to blues,,,

theres some o me shows on the twisted streams I think?? look for the beatdown with !39Z theres bound to b some fucking crazy moments there.

'

Yep spot on.

A side question: If you were supporting a big name Dj would you play one of his or her tunes(or one off their label) without asking them first?

I wouldn't anymore, when I supported Big Bud i dropped a Kubik and Lomax track off Soundtrax (which was my fav tune at the time) and he came running out asking me not to play the other side! He ended up dropping both sides in his set.

hmmmm......i'd say it was a fair call on his part if you dropped or were about to drop one of his tunes before him,but running out and stopping you from playing someone elses tune is a bit wack i reckon.....

so what if hes a big name dj.....??

you didnt know he was gonna play it in his set,why shouldnt you get to play it first....but,saying that its decent to have some respect for the main act of the night so i myself would also probably refrain from dropping the track in question having been asked by the headline dj,but if i was the main act i wouldnt go ask the warmup guy not to play something,id let him have his fun and just change my set.its only one tune after all....

Yeah i think this was for three reasons :

a) he had a pre-planned set)

b) it was a very recent release from his label (which i had on promo)

c) he asked me not to play the other side; if i had have i would have played TWO tunes he was planning to play

The plate in question was:

FILM 018 Kubik and Lomax : Showdown/Nature Cure

still one of my favourite plates.

Id encourage everyone to visit the Soundtrax website http://www.sound-trax.co.uk/

He does sweet deals like if you spend 50 bucks you get a free Cd and shit like that.

Yeah i think this was for three reasons :

a) he had a pre-planned set)

b) it was a very recent release from his label (which i had on promo)

c) he asked me not to play the other side; if i had have i would have played TWO tunes he was planning to play

The plate in question was:

FILM 018 Kubik and Lomax : Showdown/Nature Cure

still one of my favourite plates.

Id encourage everyone to visit the Soundtrax website http://www.sound-trax.co.uk/

He does sweet deals like if you spend 50 bucks you get a free Cd and shit like that.

i guess thats fair enough then...i didnt know soundtrax was his label....