needles and weird stereo fading?

paulg

yo just been noticing a weird kind of volume dipping and dulling from my gear, not sure if its the mixer or needles or what?

how often should needles be replaced and where should I buy them from?

cheers

Probably the needles dude theres no set time to replace them but when your just starting out you will need to do this more often.

You could buy from chemical records if you dont mind waiting a week or two, or if its more urgent get to the rock shop or DMC.

Try replacing the needles and if your still experiencing problems get the mixer checked

Cheers for that ... damn, just made an order from Chem Recs. Didn't think to grab needles. Should I just replace the needles or should I look into investing in cartridge as well?

I currently have some el-cheapo stantons ...

invest in both needles and cartridges and do it from chemicalrecords if you wanna save mega-bucks

are you sure it's the needles though? usually when needles fuck out they start collecting dust really easy and get muffled.. whereas volume dipping sounds could be a mixer problem or a dodgy RCA

yes they collect A LOT of dust, its annoying I have to clear it quite often. I think muffled is a good way of describing it as well, my records definitely don't sound the same as when I first got the decks either.

Ive got a Behringer VMX-200 mixer, not too sure about the quality but its starting to crackle when I turn the knobs n shit so maybe I need to look into mixer as well.

when needles are worn, they cant recover.

so if it seems to dip and then get better then you probably need to look elsewhere.

but if its a constant muffled/muddy sound then its probably the needles.

borrow some good ones, see if they fix it. Just so you dont waste a few hundi if that isnt the problem.

Its not like you would be wasting a few hundred cause if you buy new ones and it turns out that the old ones are sweet then you can just use both no loss.

Plus its handy having two sets of needles for when your mates start learning and fucking up your needles