FU & Zen - What's the verdict?

Banga

So i moved to sydney from AK about a year ago and havent had the chance to check out either. When i heard the orginal Fu was closing, to say i was gutted was a bit of an understatement - Fu had been on my night time menu for over 5 years and there were many, many good nights had down there.

The Sydney dnb scene is pretty shit - 1 international every couple of months, the local gigs are in the scungisest shit holes imaginable; old pubs that smell like puke, piss, stale ciggies and beer. The crowds arent that up for it either. At andy c half the dance floor was basically standing around... Although the Warehouse parties and dnbbq's are pretty sound.

So whats this new place like? Is it where the bowling club used to be? Whats the ambience like? Is it dark and cave like? Have checked the gallery but can't tell from the pics..

i like Fu bar. It could even become my favourite over the old one. The bar is perfectly situated, off to the side so if you're ordering a drink u dont have to stand amongst those rinsing. plenty of lush seating and the sound system sounds mint. Havent had a bad night there so far, and honestly i cant find one fault with it.

To be completely honest i dont really like Zen. It gives me this rather 'sterile' feeling as opposed to snug old FU. Given, they've made the best of what they could at the venue, but I dont really like the DJ being up so high, or the fact tht the dancefloor isnt on the same ground level as the bar. But i'm being picky. Id still have a few good nights there. and after all, as long as the sound system is mean and the DJ is top, who really cares where u'r rinsing.

i like Fu bar. It could even become my favourite over the old one. The bar is perfectly situated, off to the side so if you're ordering a drink u dont have to stand amongst those rinsing. plenty of lush seating and the sound system sounds mint. Havent had a bad night there so far, and honestly i cant find one fault with it.

To be completely honest i dont really like Zen. It gives me this rather 'sterile' feeling as opposed to snug old FU. Given, they've made the best of what they could at the venue, but I dont really like the DJ being up so high, or the fact tht the dancefloor isnt on the same ground level as the bar. But i'm being picky. Id still have a few good nights there. and after all, as long as the sound system is mean and the DJ is top, who really cares where u'r rinsing.

My one point of difference is sometimes the bar space of Fu is a bit of a mish to navigate through when people all crowd it up, and I have this irrational fear or walking across the dance floor to go for a piss.

Its definitely a different vibe than the old Fu for sure, hard not to get sentimental about that place, sooo many good times.

The new one is all good though, the opening night was soo fucken wicked gave me a really good impression which has stuck.

But yeah, could definitely use some extra subs in the bar room especially...the old bar room had such fantastic bass thats the main thing I miss bout Fu classic.

Zen would be all good if they moved the dj area down to the front corner(completeing getting rid of that both), raised the dj up slightly and did some sound deadening or just something to improve the sound. It echos to much.

Its definitely a different vibe than the old Fu for sure, hard not to get sentimental about that place, sooo many good times.

The new one is all good though, the opening night was soo fucken wicked gave me a really good impression which has stuck.

Whats up Phil, Cory here mate. how you doing bro? I see your still in dunnas, looks like your doing it well..

So you give the new FU the ok? I'm a bit gutted i missed the closing party of the old one. Your sentimental call is true - its hard not to. That place was an institution..

Nah definitely not comparing to New Coke! Just being facetious

Yeah Cory man Dunnas is awesome. Im playing at Refuel in a couple of weeks at Pendulum live! The Union Hall is sold out for it 2500 peeps!!! So excited eh!!

Hey Pat, yeah im good bro although not doing it as well as you from what i heard from fsharp -multitasking eh, hahaha good work. Sydney is all good bar the lack of dnb. heaps of ladies and parties etc.. been getting pretty dero recently...

So you rate the new FU as well? Is there are different clintele now, a bit more female representation? If thats the case, it sounds mint - Nice bar + hotties + good beats. swit az.

Whats been happening with yourself? New job i heard?

Fu is real nice. furnishings are pretty classy. i especially like how the backs of the couches are at just the right height so that you can comfortably have your elbows leaning up looking all cool and relaxed.

Zen is all good to. apart from it feeling kinda like a foyer.

It has nothing on the old Fu main room but the new fu bar at least makes up for that

Anyone getting sentimental over the old "Fu Bar" must be on some serious drugs or something. That place was terrible, like partying in a corridor! The new "Fu" is a million times better! Well laid-out, OPEN, comfortable booths, good bar setup... etc etc... I dunno, sure, plenty of memories from the old place, but most of those memories are of how fucking cramped it was!

Dunno about Zen though, havent been in there, so cant make any comparisons with the old Fu main room yet.

Anyone getting sentimental over the old "Fu Bar" must be on some serious drugs or something. That place was terrible, like partying in a corridor! The new "Fu" is a million times better! Well laid-out, OPEN, comfortable booths, good bar setup... etc etc... I dunno, sure, plenty of memories from the old place, but most of those memories are of how fucking cramped it was!

Dunno about Zen though, havent been in there, so cant make any comparisons with the old Fu main room yet.

Nah dude, there was a certain 'feeling' of warmth in that old place. The whole new place feels abit sterile, but, its making money afaik which is good for the fu boys.

Nah dude, there was a certain 'feeling' of warmth in that old place. The whole new place feels abit sterile, but, its making money afaik which is good for the fu boys.

Fair enough I suppose, I just never felt that way about it, and I'd been going there since it opened... I hated "The Corridor" as me and my mates always called it. It was always "ahhh, fuck no" when we heard that a gig we were going to was "only in Fu Bar" and not in the main room. Dancefloor the size of a dinner plate and pretty much having to have a bulldozer to shove your way past all the people standing in the tiny-ass path next to the bar, I just dont know how that would give anyone a "feeling of warmth". The ONLY redeeming feature in my opinion was the pool table...

...BUT, on the flipside, I would definitely get sentimental about the old "Fu Main Room" that place was sweet... although on some nights the more appropriate word might be "sweat" rather than "sweet"... sauna stylez!

Yeah main room was cool , having a low roof, dj being level with crowd etc.

I think basically that element of being close to everyone(no im not gay), the dim lighting, wooden floor, and insane sound made that warm feeling

Anyone getting sentimental over the old "Fu Bar" must be on some serious drugs or something.

Err yeah weren't we all at some stage?

I also long for the darkness that was the old bar, Zen = too much light! I wana get down and dirrrty!

I think basically that element of being close to everyone(no im not gay), the dim lighting, wooden floor, and insane sound made that warm feeling

Yeah man, the floors in zen, when they get wet you feel like your gonna slip over aye. not cool... one thing i like about the new fu is the outdoor area. dairy right there, seats etc. its a nice little spot imo. although sometimes it was fun to do a bit of people watching when it was on queen st. some funny shit did happen

although sometimes it was fun to do a bit of people watching when it was on queen st. some funny shit did happen

You could quite easily spend the whole night talking and laughing at the funny shit that went on there, when they had the seats.