best book you've read?

cramer

yeah i guess

heh sorry didnt mean to sound like i was shooting you down - was more using your point to make one myself, i would recommend everyone i know to read history of NZ too

Fave recent book i read was otherland by tad williams. bit of a beast of a series.

:lol:

History of New Zealand is a good read if your keen to learn the history of New Zealand by Michael King. Every New Zealander should read it IMO

Most def - I've been dishing this bad boy out to heathen aussies left right and centre... schooling them on godzone..

and grinder is correct revalations FTW... the end IS neigh

Yes it has been written that in 2020 the manatees will rise from their polluted rivers and waterways and bitch slap the leaders of men to death with their fat flippers.

Thus causing chaos and disrepute only those that pledge their allegiance to the manatees will be spared

All hail the MANATEE !!!!!

Re-rail:

'His Dark Materials' trilogy by Phillip Pullman, consisting of 'The Golden Compass', 'The Subtle Knife' and 'The Amber Spyglass'.

Mean read - every druggie with a few brain cells left who's read it has rated it, real intricate articulation of a fantasy world with 'gripping' storyline.

Gripping!

my favourite book is: 1984 by ORWELL.

but I also recommend:

-anything by CHUCK PALAHNIUK. He's the author of Fight Club, but I reckon his best book is CHOKE.

-anything by HARUKI MURAKAMI. A surreal Japanese author who's like the David Lynch of literature IMO. I especially recommend KAFKA BY THE SHORE. Trippy.

anything by CHUCK PALAHNIUK

1984 is one of my faves as well and i was thinking of writing it but figured it might be a bit too long for a self proclaimed novice brave new world is a little more accessible imo.

haruki murakami sounds interesting... specific title recommendations that have english translations?

1984, Brave New World, American Psycho, The Running Man, The Neuromancer, Player Piano, That girl Jew's diary, The Hungry Caterpillar, To Kill a Mockingbird...

I haven't ready anything beyond literary toilet paper in the last few years. Thread better deliver.

while everyone is on the name dropping buzz... zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance! definitely in my top 3. don't be fooled by the title it's not a book on zen or on motorcyle maintenance

it's got quite a bit of philosophy in it* so perhaps not all that accessible to most but if you're into that sort of shit it's a damn good book.

* although it's still a fiction book -- the philosophy is intermingled with 2 other character based plots, kinda like how Doestoevsky does in some of his books

anything by CHUCK PALAHNIUK

1984 is one of my faves as well and i was thinking of writing it but figured it might be a bit too long for a self proclaimed novice brave new world is a little more accessible imo.

haruki murakami sounds interesting... specific title recommendations that have english translations?

i think all his books have been translated man.......you should be able to find 'em at your local whitcoulls

for trippyness i recommend Kafka By The Shore. (def one of the best novels i have read)

and for a straight forward coming-of-age-esque story i recommend Norwegian Wood

harpo speaks by harpo marx...amazing true story about one of the funniest humans that ever lived and he didnt speak for about sixty years cos he thought it was funny to use props to express himself in films and real life...

anything by eddie bunker..(crime stories)

anything by philip k dick if your into science fiction,he wrote books fifty years ago about our present day so they are wicked to read now,his predictions on drug culture and technology are astonishingly on point and he also wrote "do androids dream of electric sheep" which was made into the film bladerunner...

i could go for weeks on this topic....

he also wrote "do androids dream of electric sheep" which was made into the film bladerunner...

i've been meaning to read this book for years.

quite different to the film of course but well worth it...

• 2 weeks later...

those could be some interesting reads. imo the best book I've ever read in terms of excitement would be 'white wolf' or 'the silver slayer' by david gemmell, anyone who loved Drizzt Do'Urden would love these books. Awesome style of writing too, realistic yet fantastical

• 2 weeks later...

well, some of you will know - i'm quite a bookish c**t, and i'll read even the shitest book to the end,once started, just for the sake of it.

you've all mentioned a few of what i consider to be some of the better ones i remember...

a couple i'd add would be Bone People - keri hulme, and anything by ben elton.

i just finished two books on holiday;

"Chemistry" a kiwi book about junkies/dysfunctional families and other quite dark shit, that while not a happy read was definately very on point and awesomely written...

and more enjoyabley "water for elephants" an old mans tale of his time on the circus train back in the depression era in the u.s. he's ninety or ninety three, and the story alternates between his "present day" in a nursing home, and his recounting/daydreaming of his "younger years"...whats cool is that both parts are written as though they are happening right now. learnt heaps about the circus, and the character is a crack up. kinda what i imagine zeb to be like as an old man...

oh, and nath, GOD did not write the bible...depending on whether you take the churchs word - nearly all the books of the bible were written by their authours as titled, and are pretty much historical accounts of certain peoples or persons lives... a few accounts from the time were either accidently ommitted or purposely left out because they didnt support the churchs way. im pretty sure those are whats known as the dead sea scrolls???

they supposedly contained info relating to old druid practise and the worship of the annunaki/shining ones...anyone care to elaborate?

as for revelations/end times... hows the reference in there to a flying beast like a dragon controlled by the next evil that can breath fire from the sky and raze entire cities with its booming roar? kinda like a sub-sonic canon satellite that U.S deployed right before those major earthquakes and tsunamis a few years back...

or that everyone on earth will soon wear "the mark of the beast"? microchips for your kids anyone?

-anything by CHUCK PALAHNIUK. He's the author of Fight Club, but I reckon his best book is CHOKE.

Cheers for this recomendation yo! I had to order Choke in, finished it last night.. Not epic but still a very good read.

Gonna check this 1984 book that you're all going on about next