Car help needed (repairs).

Grind

I don't know SHIT about cars and I know even less about how to fix them or where to get them fixed. Might be starting a fairly intense job in a few weeks where I will need to be presentable, this includes my car, which needs some done to it (mainly aesthetic stuff)

I've got a Honda Accord 1995 Saloon.. not sure of the exact model.. it's got a V-TEC engine.. ?

Anyway

*Front bumper is kinda falling off a bit on one side, the actual hinge part is snapped right apart so it looks like i need a full replacement bumper - also the radio antenna on the same corner is rooted, it just flops around and won't retract back into the car when engine is turned off.

*Back passenger door is a little battered, the dents look like they could be popped out and straightened out though.

*Few paint-scrapes on the back bumper. Cheaper to get new bumper or just re-painted?

If anyone could recommend places to get the above things fixed up, and/or any idea of what i can expect to be paying for it, it would be greatly appreciated and i will buy you a beer.........

Cheers.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theres a dent fixing guy my brother used to remove all the minor dings in his doors and panels that he swore by, he's called the 'dentman' or something similar il ask my brother for his contact. apparently its like a fraction of the cost of getting them done by conventional panelbeaters, and they come to you pretty sure free of charge.

Yeah them dent guys are very good on small jobs. It terms of getting your bumpers etc repainted, id suggest have a search around trademe for 2nd hand bumpers etc, you should be able to pick them up relatively cheap if your after a fairly decent bumper. Expect to pay top dollar through a wrecker tho. But, depending on the severity of it, id probly suggest popping down to repco or a car paint shop and get the exact colour of your car in a spray can, and do it that way.. Costs about 20-30bux a can and will work well, just spray it evenly. Without knowing that its been touched up or having close look at it, itll do the trick. You could also get some strong cable ties, and cable tie it back on easy as.

As for the ariel, its a pritty simple job if you got a few basic tools. I know repco used to sell universal ones, however im not sure how "universal" they actually are, otherwise you could get a original replacement from honda but expect maybe around 100 - dont quote me on price tho.

cheers fullas...... yous guys are legends.

here's a few pics.

^ yup, aerial is connected into bumper.

^ can't see it too clearly, but right in the centre of this pic there's a kind of circle "hook" thing which has been snapped apart.. which is why i'm thinkin i need a new bumper...?

^ that's the beast anyway, standard accord in terms of body, see heaps of them around so hopefully parts are cheapish and in good supply..?

merge - that dentman contact for the minor scrapes and dents would be choice.

cheers all !

Personally, id just get some cable ties, drill a small hole in the bumper lip where it cant be seen, and also into the lip on the gaurd where it cant be seen, and cable tie it up with some 4mm wide cable ties. Then just get a spray can the same colour as your car( not the cheap 3$ ones for supercheap , get the actual colour matched ones) , and give it a spray over. Repco should have them, and i think your paint code is stuck onto the inner door frame drivers side on hondas.

As for the ariel, unless you use it, just rip it off, or put the black thing back in ( by glueing it or it may slot in nicely) and make it look like its of use. That way , youll be spending 50bux at max. Wont be perfect, but will look tidy enough.

I don't know SHIT about cars and I know even less about how to fix them or where to get them fixed. Might be starting a fairly intense job in a few weeks where I will need to be presentable, this includes my car, which needs some done to it (mainly aesthetic stuff)

Whats the new job bro? Climbing the corporate eh ? "

Personally, id just get some cable ties, drill a small hole in the bumper lip where it cant be seen, and also into the lip on the gaurd where it cant be seen, and cable tie it up with some 4mm wide cable ties. Then just get a spray can the same colour as your car( not the cheap 3$ ones for supercheap , get the actual colour matched ones) , and give it a spray over. Repco should have them, and i think your paint code is stuck onto the inner door frame drivers side on hondas.

As for the ariel, unless you use it, just rip it off, or put the black thing back in ( by glueing it or it may slot in nicely) and make it look like its of use. That way , youll be spending 50bux at max. Wont be perfect, but will look tidy enough.

To get this all fixed professionally would probably cost more than the car is worth to be honest.

The cars worth at least $3-4K. First 2 results on trademe are for $5990 and $4000. Nice one estimating its value without having any idea on mileage or condition as well. Now fuck off out of my thread.

Edited by Guest

You;'re a legend bro........cheers heaps for the advice.

Whats the new job bro? Climbing the corporate eh ? "

I got kicked off the ladder with redundancy a few months back..

Fuck it's sweet not working

But yeah - got something deace lined up, fingers crossed.

The cars worth at least $3-4K. First 2 results on trademe are for $5990 and $4000. Nice one estimating its value without having any idea on mileage or condition as well. Now fuck off out of my thread.

was so waiting for this pwnage!

Plus I never thought to fix a Bumper 'ding' would cost $1500? maybe if you plate it in gold?

Settle down FFS.

Those results you're looking at, are they for the same model of Accord? I dont think so! Not unless it's a VTi-R or an SIR... which it's not. (P.S I can SEE the "condition" from your photos, so nice call on that one, champ, and mileage isn't going to make a massive difference on a car of that age and condition, unless it's spent its entire life in the garage and has only done a couple of thousand km's).

And it's not just a "bumper ding" it's probably a replacement bumper, (considering the fact that the mounting tabs are fucked, which cant be plastic-welded). AND it's dings in the door, AND you're talking about painting the back bumper as well... so you're talking about a lot of paint, and some fairly substantial repair work. Considering the fact that I had my bumper fixed and painted about 4 months ago after some dick ran into the back of me, I might have some idea of what it costs... duh... and it cost $750 JUST for that, so you'd be looking at a fair bit more than that. But hey, tell me I dont know what I'm talking about again, after blatantly stating that you know jack-shit about cars in you FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD.

So sorry for giving a realistic idea of what you're looking at, which is what you asked for in the first place. I was merely agreeing that you would be better off trying to repair it with the methods described by zpac rather than have it professionally done, otherwise you "might as well buy a new car"... No need to get all defensive you big baby.

Fucksake some people are touchy.

I was merely agreeing that you would be better off trying to repair it with the methods described by zpac rather than have it professionally done

No problems with that mate, and I appreciate your input.

Agree that it's not gonna be worth paying for professional service given the cars worth.

I was just calling you out on your irrelevant and incorrect assessment of my cars value, that's all