Car help needed (repairs).

Grind

I'm an expirienced westy home mechanic if you want a hand doing the painting...

The cable tying should be a piece of piss, but painting can be a little bit tricky depending on how rangi you don't want it to look...

Like zpac said you should finely sand it, but also it's easy to create runs so patience for the win. Gotta be prepared to do more than one coat.

Also, overspray is a bad look so buy a newspaper and some masking tape... and don't forget to cover the tyre, I still have paint on mine from doing some work.

Also buy some meths to use to clean the surface after you have lightly sanded it... a clean rag or two would be handy.

The dent on the front left panel looks pretty minor, any of those dent removal places should be able to do it pretty cheaply

Good work on the job btw

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was merely agreeing that you would be better off trying to repair it with the methods described by zpac rather than have it professionally done

No problems with that mate, and I appreciate your input.

Agree that it's not gonna be worth paying for professional service given the cars worth.

I was just calling you out on your irrelevant and incorrect assessment of my cars value, that's all

And I'm just saying that you didn't need to be a cock about it... especially when my "assessment" turned out to be neither irrelevant OR incorrect. But I see you ignored that.

I'm an expirienced westy home mechanic if you want a hand doing the painting...

Nice one bro!

Really appreciate all the help you guys have provided.. cheers!

I'm gonna get some $ together over the next few weeks and start working on it, would definitely appareciate a hand and will pay cash to anyone who's keen to help out. Chur!

Whats the new job bro? Climbing the corporate eh ? "

I got kicked off the ladder with redundancy a few months back..

Fuck it's sweet not working

But yeah - got something deace lined up, fingers crossed.

Hard - work is farking waaay over rated mate. I would lap up the redundancy for as long as the dosh lasted

Why dont you give recruitment a nudge bro? It' s a pretty sweet gig and pays for a pretty sweet lifestyle?

Good luck for whatevers on the burn anyways mate..

• 2 years later...

Just got my warrant today from pitstop of all places.. These guys want to charge me about $600 to replace the drive belts, fuel filter, front brake pads and to machine the brake discs.

Can anyone recommend somwhere that i can get those relatively simple things done a bit cheaper?

Im pretty sure i could probably replace the drive belts and the filter myself. I fucking suck at doing anything with brakes though, tried once, failed miserably..

Which belt? as long as its not a timing belt then yea maybe... if it's timing belt then $600 for all of that is cheap as.

Not sure but Tom Osborne might still manage the Firestone on Mt Eden road... he used to help me out with my Skyline... you know him? If so I'm sure he'll do you a good deal.

any belt which ain't a timing belt is gunna be easy imo.. places tend to overcharge for it hard... the belt only costs around $10 usually for them and takes 5 minutes... but for some reason it gets marked up 500% + 30 minutes labour

Even if you don't know Tom, I'm sure he would do a fair deal. You'll know him by face I'm sure.

fuel filter = easy

front brake pads = easy

belts can be tricky depending on car and which ones (wont be cam belt if all that is a $600 price tag)

can get cunts to come to you to get the machining done. look it up

save urself 3-4 spot