serious needle woes...

phonetics

Hi all,

I've got some serious needle woes. One of my needles keeps skipping on a couple of records and I'm f*cked if i know why. I've replaced the stylus and cartridge today, still no change. There is already too much stylus pressure as it is and as far as I'm concerned the needle/tone arm is correctly adjusted (apart from the extra weight). Also, the needle on the other deck has slightly less weight and is identical but operates fine. I've even swapped the needles/cartridge over with the other deck but the problem just stays with the needle... .. . wtf.

Any help would be very much appreciated before my head explodes with fury.

Thanks, Tom.

Hi mate, not a stupid question at all and the vinyl in question is new as...

When I first got them I noticed it skipped on a couple of tunes that have a lot of bass/tunes with grunt...its as if the needle can't handle the low frequencies, but i changed the f*cker and now its still doing it. There seems to be a lot of 'movement' as well on the whole tone arm, yet if i swapped the complete headshell from one deck to the other, why would the problem follow the needle...if you see what i mean?

It tends to skip on breakdowns, on the snare where it meets a lot of bass...if i crank the stylus pressure it does it less but i can still hear it/see it...I shouldn't have to crank the stylus pressure though cause its gonna burn my vinyl quicker?

I had a similar problem and it was fixed by putting some extra weight on the stylus, a coin or some blutack will do it or you can get extra weight fittings, not sure what theyre called or anything. I'm assuming that if theres not enough weight on it to play without it skipping a wee bit more will be fine, but Im no expert. The vinyl i used on those decks is still okay after many a jam...

Cheers, glad i'm not the only one to have this problem. I was a little unsure about piling on the stylus pressure - it seemed like the correct short term solution, but i was concerned i'd have rinsed vinyl after too long...

The fact that your vinyl is okay after so long gives me more confidence about it anyways! Cheers!

Come to think of it, yeah, i've seen that too actually in other shops and on other peoples decks and not sure why I didn't question it before?! Man, guess i couldn't see the wood for the trees in my case at home. Thanks for the advice, sometimes you just need another persons perspective i guess...

hey man, if you've got your monitor sitting directly on ur mixing table, especially if its a glass table, the low frequencies can vibrate the whole setup and make the toner arm move so much that it cause the needle to jump. try moving the monitor away from the table a bit, mount it on a wall or simply sit it on a bench nearby. or put padding under it.. see if that works.