Sounds in the lounge

paulg

Just moved into a new place and we decking out the lounge. Just need some advice on the sounds to set up. I want something loud that won't distort when its pumping dnb with massive lows and lots of punch.

So i've kind of got two options here;

1. Home theater style sound system with some big bookshelf speakers?

or

2. Couple of club style speakers running off a good amp?

Advice, opinions please. Budget is under $2k

Dude - I strongly recommend the Logitech Z5500. 500WRMS of genuine ass-kicking business! I can source for around $400 including GST. We're talking 10" sub, 5 satellites. It goes hard. I own two of 'em.

Set your budget on fire buy these, and spend the rest on a projector.

Seriously. You can come around and check them in action anytime!

I just got some Wharfedale Diamond 9.6's.. Sounded like shit straight outa the box but now theyre fuking primo. 2 x 8" speakers. Picked em up for 549$ new, retail is 1.4k, may still be able to get the same deal. Then just buy some other cheapy floor standing speakers, + a amp n your neighbors will love u,.

Dude - I strongly recommend the Logitech Z5500. 500WRMS of genuine ass-kicking business! I can source for around $400 including GST. We're talking 10" sub, 5 satellites. It goes hard. I own two of 'em.

Set your budget on fire buy these, and spend the rest on a projector.

Seriously. You can come around and check them in action anytime!

Yeah that's our current setup, its going in the booth. We need something more badass for the lounge.

My mate had the Sony HTDDW1600 in the lounge originally before he moved out. Goes alright, but I was kind of looking for something bigger. Might have to check out Harvey Norman or something.

I reckon you should have a serious look at some PA speakers like the Thump's... I'm in Grey Lynn if you wanted a demo... I don't think I've ever gone past the half volume mark.... but still had the foundations shaking

The thumps are a pretty muddy though. Ok for cranking loud music but not really that suitable for home audio use imo.

I reckon you should have a serious look at some PA speakers like the Thump's... I'm in Grey Lynn if you wanted a demo... I don't think I've ever gone past the half volume mark.... but still had the foundations shaking

The thumps are a pretty muddy though. Ok for cranking loud music but not really that suitable for home audio use imo.

Hmmm, any other ideas then? Or should I just roll with a home theater system like the Sony HTDDW1600?

When our flat was cranking - in the lounge we had 2 x Cerwin Vega e-712's and 2 x 12" subs running off a Phonic XP 2100 amp and 2 x Behringer Truth monitors. That was mainly for mixing though... apart from the ocassional DVD. It cranked hard.

Definitely recommend a dedicated 12" sub if you want to listen to loud dnb/dubstep. You need bass down to 30Hz.

Agreed, avoid those sony home systems. You are better off getting yourself a nice pair of floor standing speakers and a decent amp. Maybe look at going second hand for an amp and spending the majority of your budget on the speakers. Later on you could add a dedicated sub if you need more wubwub in ya area.

Agreed, avoid those sony home systems. You are better off getting yourself a nice pair of floor standing speakers and a decent amp. Maybe look at going second hand for an amp and spending the majority of your budget on the speakers. Later on you could add a dedicated sub if you need more wubwub in ya area.

I have to disagree, the Sony Home Theatre systems are actually pretty damned good. If you're a DJ and ONLY want to listen to music, then fine, a 2-channel system is probably better, but I believe he was talking about it being a lounge setup in a flat, used for movies and stuff as well, so you're MUCH better off to go with a home theatre system which is going to cover all bases just that little bit better. Trust me, as someone who is very much into cranking my DnB, as well as tuning the TV into the music channels a fair bit, there is nothing wrong with the HTDDW1600 in terms of your average house hi-fi type system, and it's absolutely astonishing as a home theatre setup. It also has two extra sub-outs so you can plug some big phat self-powered beasties into it to make it NUTS if it's not loud enough for you straight out of the box!

/opinion

edit: I've got mine hooked up to my PS3 through an optical cable, so it is seriously crrrrriiiiiisssssssssp.

I find that having a plain amp and decent floor speakers, is that you get a more clear, pure sound, as opposed to mini system etc fuking with the signal giving a modified sound.. Im stoked with the speakers i've, they give a true perspective of what the sound should actually be, not beefed up in certain freq's .

I find that having a plain amp and decent floor speakers, is that you get a more clear, pure sound, as opposed to mini system etc fuking with the signal giving a modified sound.. Im stoked with the speakers i've, they give a true perspective of what the sound should actually be, not beefed up in certain freq's .

A decent surround sound system should have a "2-channel" setting (the HTDDW1600 does) which should cancel out that shit. It's actually quite surprising when you're listening to music and you change it from surround sound to 2-channel, the difference is massive. Plus the Amp for the HTDDW1600 is a proper amp/receiver, not a "mini-system" piece of garbage with a built-in CD and whatever other cheap crappy electronics they could jam in there...

Plus the Amp for the HTDDW1600 is a proper amp, not a "mini-system" peice of garbage with a built-in CD and whatever other cheap crappy electronics they could jam in there...

... yeah I was wondering about that.

My mates 1600 distorted a lot when we bumped up the lows, maybe it was cause he would have it on the wrong setting or some shit?

Plus the Amp for the HTDDW1600 is a proper amp, not a "mini-system" peice of garbage with a built-in CD and whatever other cheap crappy electronics they could jam in there...

... yeah I was wondering about that.

My mates 1600 distorted a lot when we bumped up the lows, maybe it was cause he would have it on the wrong setting or some shit?

I've only noticed any distortion in the top 5 volume settings right before the max volume (i.e 65-MAX) where you'd kind of expect it? Although I do have the main level on the self-powered subs set to about 90%, but that's common sense really.

Ended up buying a pair of these

Dual 15" 3-Way Tower - Single Unit

Simply the biggest, baddest tower on the market, the CLS-215 features two cast frame high excursion 15" woofers and delivers earth-shaking bass down to 24 Hz. With guaranteed "eviction notice" performance, the CLS-215 also features a 6½" mid-range speaker and a 1" soft dome tweeter coupled to a proprietary waveguide.

* Frequency Response: 24 Hz - 20 kHz

* Peak Power: 500 watts

* Sensitivity (1w/1m): 97 dB

* 6½" midrange with Fiber Impregnated Cone

* 1" Soft Dome Tweeter with Ferro Fluid

* Dual 15" Cast Frame High Excursion Woofers

* Proprietary Mid and High Frequency Waveguide

* Fuse Protection

* Elegant Black-Ash Enclosure

and a big amp to power them. LOUD.

Yeah bro nice one i have their baby brothers the single 12 version. They are fairly crisp for everyday use and can also rock a wicked party.

Sucks to be your neighbours

How much if you dont mind me asking