Sounds in the lounge

paulg

Pair of 215's - $2000 down from $3800

ATI202 Amplifier (Forgot the brand, US made tho) $1100 down from $1600

Got a hundred bucks of speaker cable thrown in as well which was all good.

The amp is crazy. Just a big black box with a giant power switch on the front. You must use a pre amp to control the signal going to it so I just use a spare channel on my mixer and feed all inputs through that. Have spent the weekend wearing them in. Gunna crank them up this weekend.

Can't believe the sound you get through them from vinyl, sounds like a fucking club. Having a flat warming this saturday on the north shore if anyone wants to come have a jam.

Well from the datasheet, the maximum power output of the AT1202 @ 8ohms is 140 watts so you're severely underpowering your Cerwins. Aside from the obvious problem of not running the speakers to anywhere near their potential you run a high risk of blowing up the tweeters when you turn the amp up loud because it will start clipping which generates high frequency harmonics which causes heating in the tweeters which can blow them up. You also run a high risk of popping the amp which tbh is more likely with the Cerwins since they are very well protected.

yeah you're definitely going to want a better amp man - there's no point in spending that amount of money on those speakers without a savage amp to drive them. Rockshop have Tapco juice amps on special atm so I think the J2500 would probably be a good option for you. It's $999 down from $1,495 and drives 575W rms per channel into 8ohms.

Other amp options

Those speakers do support bi-amplification but I dunno if you'd want to do that or not... might mean you can power the tweeters with your existing amp and could get away with buying a smaller amp for the woofers but on the downside you need to buy an active crossover and it's a little bit harder to setup and keep track of etc.

I'm fully vibing out about this now, gunna have to ring up harvey norman and see what they can do. It was the manager that sold me the setup and said it was the right amp for the job. Hopefully I can work something out.

Will it be sweet so long as I don't crank it too hard? The amp actually shut off at one point on saturday night. I think it was cause some muppet jumped on the decks with his hardhouse and turned the gain right up . It lasted about 1 minute and then we told him to fuck off and put the dnb back on then the amp worked sweet again couple mins after that.

yeah it'll be fine if you don't ask too much from it.

Personally i'd demand a refund from H.N. and go buy the j2500 from the rockshop. Since it's on special it's actually $100 cheaper than the amp you currently have and 4 times more powerful. The manager misled you through his own incompetence so don't let them sway you.

The amp actually shut off at one point on saturday night. I think it was cause some muppet jumped on the decks with his hardhouse and turned the gain right up . It lasted about 1 minute and then we told him to fuck off and put the dnb back on then the amp worked sweet again couple mins after that.

All i can say is your amp knows the score as regards musical tastes

Good luck man, hope you get it sorted...haven't read the latter part of this thread so it may already be sorted ay.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I just found this thread through nz-google and your speaker / amp combination pains me, Im wincing at the thought of those speakers begging for power at a party and being denied it so I *have* to say this.

You should definitly seek a refund/upgrade, that 130WRMS amp is so incredibly underpowered for CLS-215's! Either the salesman misled you to sell them fast or he knows nothing about Hi-Fi (more likely he knows nothing).

I'd be looking at 250WRMS per channel bare minimum, preferably 300, and 500 if you wanted to get real anal/audiofile about your power rating.

I'v got a 120WRMS amp powering speakers with 1 tweeter and 1 6 1/2 inch woofer....