Film Festival

Aphra

Anyone going to any movies at the festival this month?

Mark and I went to see one the other night called 'Planet B-boy' about break dancing... the culture and the competitions held in Germany. It followed groups from Japan, France, USA and Korea. It was really interesting and cool... seen 'Rize'?

Also went to 'Earth' which I was disappointed with cause it was all the same footage as 'Planet Earth' the series. Still awesome stuff though!

What you going to or interested in?

So far been to Vexille (CGI Anime) and Secret Sunshine (Korean drama / comedy). Both were really good.

Also planning on seeing:

Lorna's Silence

Elite Squad

Gomorrah

Ashes of Time Redux

Would like to see these as well but you gotta prioritize sometimes:

Sparrow

Evangelion 1.0

Mongol

Going to Gomorrah and Mongol too.

Its so hard to pick though! Its always a bit of a gamble weather you'll like them or not aye. Been to a few shiters over the years aye but then again, seen some of the best movies ever at the festival

have heard multiple peeps raving about Vincent wards new feature Children Of Rain was the last night ,last night and the fucker sold out ,,, so thats a good reason to go....

but well it will be on full release soon enuff

Hunter S thompson doco too.

me and one o me south seas massif are gonna go have a look tonight and find the most obscure darkest film we can dfind get blazed and dribble , will fire back reports on the morrow

im surprised no one has mentioned Takashi Miike's movie: Spaghetti Django . This guy is an insane director, definitely one of my favourites.

Haha, Takashi is one fucked up cookie. Visitor Q anyone? Nuff extreme lactation innit

went to Lorna's silence last night and it sucked balls - one of the most boring slow moving films i've seen in the last few years. It was pretty much exactly as described in the synopsis - i.e. if you've read the synopsis you've seen the movie.

Looking forward to Elite Squad tonight though.

Nato, Aphra, Catalyst... you guys keen to meet up before Gomorrah on Tuesday?

WTF? I remember seeing the 1981 "TV" version of this movie in, like, 4th Form Social Studies. And now they've re-made it with Germans and it's supposed to be a Festival Film? You've got to be kidding me, they didn't even change the name of it!!!

It's based on a novel with the same name.

The re-make is far superior, good enough for me to consider using it as an introduction to teaching the Weimar Germany history topic. It gives a much fuller exploration of Fascism as a concept, than the original 44 min American version.

Aside from that, it is a well-made film that I think definitely deserves to be in the Film Festival, and even on general release.

WTF? I remember seeing the 1981 "TV" version of this movie in, like, 4th Form Social Studies. And now they've re-made it with Germans and it's supposed to be a Festival Film? You've got to be kidding me, they didn't even change the name of it!!!

It's based on a novel with the same name.

The re-make is far superior, good enough for me to consider using it as an introduction to teaching the Weimar Germany history topic. It gives a much fuller exploration of Fascism as a concept, than the original 44 min American version.

Aside from that, it is a well-made film that I think definitely deserves to be in the Film Festival, and even on general release.

Well, actually, it's based on a true story. Although, technically you could say it's based on a novel which is based on a true story.

Quite funny though, I remember that when our teacher asked what we thought of the movie, I started talking about how it showed that large masses of people could be easily swayed into nazi-like thinking etc.... and the dumbfuck teacher stopped me halfway saying "It's got nothing to do with the Nazis" and very quickly moved on to the next person as though he was shit-scared of talking about Nazis... fucking silly prick didn't even read the blurb from the movie he was showing in class!!!

Yeah, why not? I'm not sure what the plan is, I'm just tagging along.

Mark and I watched Be Kind Rewind a little while ago.. I thought it was ok. I think I'm kinda over Jack Black

Looking fwd to the one you booked for us Nathan, looks cool.

I wish I had more time and money...

i heard an interview with the director of this film the other day on bfm but missed the film as it was only on during my work hours....

anyone see it...it sounded really good...

skitz place to film a movie...

SON OF A LION

VIEW DIRECTOR INFO

Benjamin Gilmour

Email this page to a friend

Director: Benjamin Gilmour

Year: 2007

Running time: 92 mins

Australia/Pakistan

Screenplay: Benjamin Gilmour

Photography: Benjamin Gilmour, Haroon John

Editor: Alison McSkimming Croft

Sound: Haroon John

Music: Amanda Brown

In Pashtu with English subtitles

PG violence

With: Niaz Khun Shinwari, Sher Alam Miskeen Ustad, Baktiyar Ahmed Afridi, Agha Jaan, Anousha Vasif Shinwari

Festivals: Pusan 2007; Berlin 2008

Visiting filmmaker Benjamin Gilmour‘s audacious docudrama was shot undercover in great secrecy and danger in the dusty gun-manufacturing villages of Pakistan‘s remote Northwest Frontier. A place completely forbidden to foreigners and journalists, let alone filmmakers.

"The first-time Australian director went to Pakistan‘s tribal regions to create, with native Pashtun performers and collaborators, the tale of a jihadist warrior‘s son torn between peace and war. The 11-year-old boy wants to go to school; the fierce father wants him only to learn gun lore, in Darra, their arms-making village. The non-professional actors play versions of themselves (in real life the father helped the mujahideen expel Russia from Afghanistan) and the script hums with credibility. When not scarily enlightening - in the depiction of a guerrilla mindset that prefers Taliban tyranny to American intrusion - it is scarily funny." — Nigel Andrews, Financial Times

Yeah, why not?

I'm skipping this one, but enjoy...

That "The Wave" sounds interesting... have been reading Kritical's book called Rising '44 about Poland during the war... kinda keen to branch out a bit more

im surprised no one has mentioned Takashi Miike's movie: Spaghetti Django . This guy is an insane director, definitely one of my favourites.

Haha, Takashi is one fucked up cookie. Visitor Q anyone? Nuff extreme lactation innit

Visitor Q is awesome, you have prolly seen 'audition' then, that movie is def the best horror for me

Visitor Q is awesome, you have prolly seen 'audition' then, that movie is def the best horror for me

He is my favourite director.

Sukiyaki Western Django was an interesting genre mash-up. Even though not his strongest film was still highly enjoyable.

Never got the chance to catch Visitor Q at the Paramount as was pulled the day i was getting the ticket. Audition was an incredible experience at the cinema - walkouts, faintings and an epileptic seizure!

I also highly recommend Ichi The Killer and the Dead or Alive Trilogy esp. Part One. The first ten minutes of that is like an adrenaline shot straight to the brain!

Also just saw [REC] tonight at the Civic. Good to get the feeling of being scared in a theatre happening again.

nice dude, yea sussing out my sukiyaki django tickets now. He is so underated in Japan, Audtition is what happens when u mix a really good family drama with twisted horror, haha.

A little out of his norm but have you seen "yokai daisensou"? (the great yokai war) its like a fantasy horror for children but with Miike's steez mashed into it.....I'm obsessed with this guy haha

nice dude, yea sussing out my sukiyaki django tickets now. He is so underated in Japan, Audtition is what happens when u mix a really good family drama with twisted horror, haha.

A little out of his norm but have you seen "yokai daisensou"? (the great yokai war) its like a fantasy horror for children but with Miike's steez mashed into it.....I'm obsessed with this guy haha

I think Audition worked so well because of the fact that the first half was definitely more of a romance/drama -and so the audience has been lulled into a false sense of security. So when the switch happens the horror appears more frightening and effective. The film fucks with its audience surprisingly well!

No, i haven't seen Yokai Daisensou. Will have search for it though, cheers.