violent offender database.....find your mates....

zeb

Glad to see this sort of information is available to the general public. However things like this do raise that classic question concerning our prisons and their subsequent systems. That question being are jail terms primarily meant to be

(a) a form of punishment or

(b) a form of rehabilitation

hopefully this stimulates some of your own ideas concerning society

P.S. a completely biased opinion by the way, i hope someone sets some of these scumbags on fire.

well i don't think that prison should be as comfortable as it probably is...they should be completely unbearable holes that would make people not want to go there.

I also think capital punishment is one of the best crime deterents ever. They should bring that back for serious crimes.

I disagree.

"I have come to the conclusion that executions solve nothing, and are only an antiquated relic of a primitive desire for revenge which takes the easy way and hands over the responsibility for revenge to other people...The trouble with the death penalty has always been that nobody wanted it for everybody, but everybody differed about who should get off."

I disagree.

"I have come to the conclusion that executions solve nothing, and are only an antiquated relic of a primitive desire for revenge which takes the easy way and hands over the responsibility for revenge to other people...The trouble with the death penalty has always been that nobody wanted it for everybody, but everybody differed about who should get off."

fair point man, although i disagree. why waste tax dollars trying to rehabilitate some nut-job that will more than likely just go and reoffend. Life for a life.

yeah but rehabilitation forms (or should form) part of any prison sentence, whether it's inside prison or community based. Those reluctant to rehabilitation in whatever form and are shown to be consistent violent reoffenders or outright nut-job murderers should be subject to capital punishment.

Obviously someone who hasn't done the crime or is innocent or wants to redeem themselves would respond to rehabilitation successfully and in the case of the innocent, would more than likely plead there innocence until they were blue in the face.

With respect to the innocent being sentenced to die and actually being executed; this senario is very rare and that individual case would have to be looked at more closely...which case are you referring to?

Where there is doubt of guilt then any form of punishment, be it execution or imprisonment, would have to be deliberated and would certainly be appealed or pleaded against by the accused.

I don't believe its that simple to execute an innocent man.

Forget the pros and cons of rehabilitation or whatever, I think a lot of people miss the point that we as a society become no better than the criminals if we execute them for their crimes, no matter how abhorrent their actions may have been.

Eye-for-an-eye is some seriously stupid, old-school thinking.

"We waste so much money housing them in prisons... blah blah blah"

So fucking what? That's the price of living in a law-based society. Or are you suggesting it might be a good idea to kill any and all criminals just to save a few bucks on taxes?

I highly doubt that any of you would actually be willing to throw the switch or pull the trigger yourselves, no matter how loudly you proclaim to be willing to do so, and even if you did, why shouldn't you be then killed for killing someone? because it's state-sanctioned??? puhleeease.

adding to that... you risk killing the wrongly accused... bit of a paradox... becoming a murderer by killing the innocent under the pretext of killing murderers... then what, do you have to kill yourself?

And even if you're killing a guilty person, you're still killing someone.

Interesting stuff.

I wonder what you would all be saying if your little sister had been raped or killed by one of these serial offenders, or your mum your girlfiend your best mate ?

I understand all the reasons for not giving the death penalty a lot of which i agree with but what happens when it hits a bit closer to home.

I think that at the very least these multiple offenders should be jailed for life alcatraz style.

Think about all the people a multiple rapist or murderer would affect.

Interesting stuff.

I wonder what you would all be saying if your little sister had been raped or killed by one of these serial offenders, or your mum your girlfiend your best mate ?

I understand all the reasons for not giving the death penalty a lot of which i agree with but what happens when it hits a bit closer to home.

I think that at the very least these multiple offenders should be jailed for life alcatraz style.

Think about all the people a multiple rapist or murderer would affect.

This is the same line that's always trundled out by people trying to justify state-sanctioned murder. Sorry, but this is crap, "revenge" should be discouraged just as much as murder, no matter how "close to home" it is. But I guess if you're using this line, you've completely missed the point anyway.

But I'm definitely all for jailing these mother-fuckers in some hardcore alcatraz-style shit, that's for sure, 24/7 solitary confinement with bread and water only. Give them some serious time to regret their actions. I definitely think our prisons are far too "comfortable".

Edited by Guest

(Deleted my last post to rewrite it... but had already been quoted as above)

With respect to the innocent being sentenced to die and actually being executed; this senario is very rare

Too true... but the argument is that it's going to happen eventually. As much as I'd love to see Murderers and Rapists tortured/killed, to me the price of accidentally torturing/killing one innocent man isn't worth it.

Enough of NZ feels the same so I doubt capital punishment will be here any time soon.

Probably the same thing - I'd love to see them tortured and killed, if there's no risk of them being innocent. If there wasn't, then I'd probably try and kill them myself.