Sound Eng. School

Richard M

yeah i guess theres more than one way to look at it. whether your wanting it just for your knowledge and knowing how to do things, or if your wanting a career possibly.. i dont really know much about mainz and how much better the actual curiculam is tho.. all i know is about sae

Everything I've heard is that MAINZ is much better than SAE curriculum-wise. It is also a lot more expensive but as mentioned you get what you pay for. I know a few people who have been to MAINZ and a few who have been to SAE and the MAINZ dudes seemed much happier with their course.

Sound Engineering ie Cert. Live Sound >> Go MAINZ Dave and Tony are good at what they do + happy to answer your questions, hook you up with work if your up for it etc..

Yeh, SAE is probably more recognised Internationally as a qualification*, you could do a 2nd year in Oz or the UK for instance but they also recruit thier best students to be tutors - the very next year, no shit.. Not naming names but our most famous D&B exports recommend MAINZ over SAE,, That said, SAE in Melbourne is meant to be the bomb-diggy..

Cert. Audio Engineering at MAINZ = They are trying to train you for an Industry job, the catch - there are f**k all NZ music Industry jobs avaliable as even our pop stars are on the dole,, they'll have you recording the worst 'see-you-in-a-sad-pub-band' fools too, although there are some talented musos at the institute, they are the exception not the rule.

(*) Both branches (Sound & Audio) are very experience-based + qualifications of this sort have only recently been introduced. You would definately be more valued for what you could do not what piece of paper you had in a real-world scenario..

For the record I was up for the knowledge base + now I can run the PA at U.C which helps.. Depends what your after for sure..

i went to SAE a few years back for bassically my own knowledge, so i left when i was happy with what i'd learned. I think the work involved at SAE is alot more intense, as in, alot to do in a little time. The courses at SAE are far shorter than at MAINZ, at MAINZ it sounds less intense, i've had a few mates go to MAINZ, and been pretty stoked, altho the studios at SAE are awesome.

SAE also was a little bit unorganised.

Go MAINZ, fuck it, not sure bout these days but MAINZ used to give their students laptops as part of the course

Go MAINZ, fuck it, not sure bout these days but MAINZ used to give their students laptops as part of the course

Yeh they used to let you put a powerbook on your student loan in diploma (2nd) year but now you have to h.p it + u would be a student so its harder to pay off!

i might be mistaken but i think they even make you buy logic/ pro tools, hehe

also might mention the foundation course at mainz,, they advertise it as more of a high school drop outs ting but it actually seems to be a really on-to-it curriculum covering a bit of sound, live performance, audio + industry through the year,, 1 thing about that course, the hip hoppers were writing beats/ rhymes + recording tracks while us hip hoppers/ beatheads in the audio course were still studying up on circle of fifths but yeh by the same token you wouldnt walk out understanding anything more than the very basics of how midi works from the foundation course.. fuck im blabbing, out

sae is aimed for people who want to do audio engineering, which for the most part comes from recording (in the traditional sense). I believe that MAINZ is more musically inclined with their curriculum, where they have you the student doing a lot more of the musical perfromances than you would at SAE, where instead your the recording engineer and mixer only.

To get a job in the industry of recoridng/mixing/live sound easier, I'd suggest SAE, but if your wanting to imporve on your dnb programming I'd suggest looking into MAINZ first.

The stuff you learn at SAE is invalulbe if you wanted to apply it to dnb production (eq/dynamics/etc), but you might get put off by the fast pace and recording aspect.

Go look at both if your serious.

SAE also goes deeper into theory than MAINZ to my understanding, whereas MAINZ gives you more local contacts and teaches a lot more about live sound, which SAE only touches on. SAE really isn't suited to learning about DNB production either, the emphasis is nearly 100% on recording and the 'mechanical' side of it as opposed to writing music. I don't think this is a weakness, a lot of people misunderstand what a 'producer' does and frankly calling people who write drumnbass producers is a misnomer.