The Olympics

thr339z

Well today is an auspicious day. the bejing olympics are set to begin amidst a lot of controversy

will they be the "freindly Games"

will the atheletes all cry cos o the air?

will there be a raft o scandels?

will there be some major issue IE terrorist attacks

whats your thoughts?

I think your average run-of-the-mill terrorists might be slightly put off by China's treatment of terrorists (look at what they 'allegedly' do to their ow...)

China don't want anything to go wrong so between cops on segways and the ('allegedly' govt sponsored?) cyber-hacking groups that 'allegedly' cause havoc to certain governments will be keeping tabs locally... Not to mention the measures they are taking that you don't hear about.

I don't really think 2 weeks of rubbish air is going to kill anyone. Maybe the marathon runners might not break any records, but I feel the media is just playing the 'oh no pollution' card on this.

There are scandals at every Olympics - Question is will it involve any Chinese athletes?

Will the games be friendly? Who knows, between random protests and the government having to relax their stance on some things to please us westerners it will make for an interesting time

Heard the interview with the bfm on site reporter which was quite interesting. His emails are arriving at their various destinations cencored. They have filters which obviously take words and swap them for more appropriate ones. He also noted hearing weird noises while talking on the phone to people outside China. I'm not sure if they just did this for dramatic effect or not but the conversation ended with him saying, "If for example I were to say something like Tianamen beeeep beeep beeep beep beeep beeep". Either they cut him off or they were just having a laugh. Either way, censorship of media coming out of China will be an issue for these games.

The great firewall of China - quite effective and I'm sure there are other governments in the world who would be very keen to acquire this technology...

Only way around it would be a sattelite based connection which would circumvent the firewall altogether... Though I'm not geek enough to figure out more tricky solutions

Heard the interview with the bfm on site reporter which was quite interesting. His emails are arriving at their various destinations cencored. They have filters which obviously take words and swap them for more appropriate ones. He also noted hearing weird noises while talking on the phone to people outside China. I'm not sure if they just did this for dramatic effect or not but the conversation ended with him saying, "If for example I were to say something like Tianamen beeeep beeep beeep beep beeep beeep". Either they cut him off or they were just having a laugh. Either way, censorship of media coming out of China will be an issue for these games.

yeah man that was a great interview.. I had the feeling it was a semi piss take... but nontheless was good (its actually what inspired this topic)

The great firewall of China - quite effective and I'm sure there are other governments in the world who would be very keen to acquire this technology...

Only way around it would be a sattelite based connection which would circumvent the firewall altogether... Though I'm not geek enough to figure out more tricky solutions

Lots of shitty governments filter stuff - its not really "hard" to do either.

You can get round it via open proxies, tor, hamachi, cunning VPN's, NAT hole punching etc etc. Where there is a will there is a way...

Did anyone watch the opening ceremony ?

It was the most raver olympics ceremony ever glo sticks everwhere flashing lights all over the place funny shit. You would be forgiven for thinking you were in a huge trance rave with all the buzzy visuals and glo sticks.

But seriously, why are horse events in the Olympics?

Cause we're all sadistic and like watching the riders fall off?

Yeah but every other event is an example of human excellence... equestrian ones are more dependant on the fucking horse.

yeah ive often wondered about this.....

i think team sports shouldnt be a part of it either...it should be down to the individual so then that person really is the best in the world at that particular event instead of:

"i couldnt have done it without my team mates" or

"we would have won if john hadnt dropped the ball"

Yeah but every other event is an example of human excellence... equestrian ones are more dependant on the fucking horse.

For arguments sake the, should we also negate all technology and give all athletes the same boats/canoes/whatever to make things equal like they do in A1GP?

For arguments sake the, should we also negate all technology and give all athletes the same boats/canoes/whatever to make things equal like they do in A1GP?

that would be sensible, thought they did that already?

I'm pretty sure you take your own boats and stuff there but they just have to judge it to make sure its up to spec... I'm no olympic expert (actually... I'm probably not an expert in anything ) so if someone actually knows please feel free to correct me

I'm pretty sure you take your own boats and stuff there but they just have to judge it to make sure its up to spec... I'm no olympic expert (actually... I'm probably not an expert in anything ) so if someone actually knows please feel free to correct me

well, if Cool Runnings is anything to go by then i guess your right mike

Agree that the horse is obviously a huge part of it but the equestrians have mad skill, and anyone who's ever ridden cross country in particular can vouch for the fact that it's farken hard work and you do need to be real fit and strong for it. Plus we like to watch people fall off