Missing old Fu

Known One

Not that I don't enjoy the new Fu & Xen... but definitely missing the old Fu... maybe the fact that it was so underground that it was actually underground... not sure exactly... but that place rocked.

ahh, good times... wish it could be hired out for another leaving party or something. Final Final Fu!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old FU definitely felt more drum and bass, the whole underground vibe just did it for me.

The amount of light in new fu seems to be quite a deterent for people dancing. Unless its a really packed party then everyone just gets into it.

Thats my main problem with new fu, oh and little bit more volume wouldnt hurt.

+1

Coherant is the new Fu, even seba for that matter.

Thats taking it a bit to far imo

New and old fu shit on coherent

Coherent has the most ear destroying sound system i have ever encountered. The place is also so big that you need a massive crowd to get a good vibe going.

Never been to seba so cant comment on that one.

I dunno man, no doubt there are issues with the sound, but its dark and dirty, n thats the way it should be. Fu could easily sort it out by adjusting the light for the style of gig; blocking window light, possibly even changing the colour of the lights.. Anyway, id rather go to a gig at coherant over fu anyday, and it doesnt feel good sayin that either.

Coherant sounds = fail. Win on other points though... nice to be served a drink with a smile...

Anyone else notice how off his racket one of the Asian bartenders is at Fu?

On another note... anyone been to Bacco (Under Toto on Newton Road) lately? I reckon that place has potential

New Fu bar is kickass.

Zen is badly designed. The dance floor is too narrow and too long, resulting in munter seepage. Rear of the floor towards those windows/couches needs to be levelled off and have a low partition erected separating it from the floor, and some big fuck off man couches installed. Then widen the pit towards the wall with the bar and make the walkway to the toilets through the current booth area (wtf is with that rape laboratory in their anyway...).

the main thing i notice with zen is the sound. unless it is FULL of people, there is far too much bounce off all the hard surfaces and it sounds very tinny. dancefloor and bar should definitely be on the same level, with a mid-height partition splitting the two, similar to new fubar. I'm also very against the elevated mixing stage. i want to be on the same level as the dj. As a dj, I want to be on the same level as the audience. When I've got people dancing immediately in front of me I get way more into what I'm doing.

i do give credit to new fu and zen tho, they've tried hard, these are just things that seem slightly worse in comparison with old fu...

Interesting. It was bound to become a topic sooner or later..

Somebody said to me the other day they were looking at doing a gig down at the old Fu because apparently it was 'available'. The first thing I said to them was: "Are you nuts?". Obviously in disbelief he was like "What do you mean?".

I explained to him that when Fu moved, it MOVED. They took everything, all the fixtures worth taking were taken. They also now enjoy being above the sewerage level so there's no more horrible smell based on tide. Can you imagine what it'd be like sans bathroom fixtures now? Safe to say he's reassessed his options but I couldn't believe he considered it in the first place.

Also, whilst I agree that Zen wasn't designed properly and doesn't sound quite right - I can safely say that both of those issues are not Fu/Zen's fault. Firstly, the design was established when it first opened as a night club many years ago (as Ministry) and that was seriously whack, by comparison (it was semi-dual zone). Zen has definitely been redesigned the best way possible given the circumstances.

As for sound, I learnt that unfortunately it doesn't matter what sound system you bring to the party, you'll never be able to turn it up without risking having the whole night shut down as Zen sits on the residential side of the building.

I know you guys feel the upbeat lighting is 'not cool' and/or stopping people from getting their gurn on - but straight up, I think it's one of the best things to happen to Fu and more importantly drum & bass in a long time. We've seen such an amazing series of talent come to NZ, and if we want to continue seeing it come to NZ we need to make sure that it's not just the male gender turning up... The presence of females at gigs now has seriously changed things quite a bit, and whilst Fu is quite 'bright', I think it appeals to a new audience which is crucial for our scene to move forward. I know some will disagree, but I do like where things are headed..

Later down the line, I imagine Fu will probably implement some lighting systems to enable darker hues for dubstep/dnb nights.. but it doesn't seem to phase too many people from other genres atm ie. breaks/hiphop/hard dance etc.

And finally, the only thing I feel the old Fu and Coherent have in common is that Coherent is a badly air conditioned venue like the old Fu. What's worse is that Coherent has a retarded sound system that has people calling me for ear plugs every time there's a dnb event down there. So there's quite simply no competition there with the new Fu and Zen if you ask me. I like Seba's basement, I've played there a couple of times but both on whack-ass sound rigs. If somebody put on a gig with dubstep upstairs (where it's brighter) and drum and bass downstairs and reinforced the sound in both rooms - I'd be keen!

Also, whilst I agree that Zen wasn't designed properly and doesn't sound quite right - I can safely say that both of those issues are not Fu/Zen's fault. Firstly, the design was established when it first opened as a night club many years ago (as Ministry) and that was seriously whack, by comparison (it was semi-dual zone). Zen has definitely been redesigned the best way possible given the circumstances.

Im surprised you can remember ministry...didnt it shut in 2000 or there abouts? how old are you now?

any who... heres my two cents

yup the old fu was the bizzness.. but, its gone and now we have the new fu and zen... yup its different and feels weird ,,but we just have to paint the walls with new memories rather than rely on the old ones we all loved so dearly.

the coherent vs fu debate.. to me there is no way one can compare. they are different entities with different feels and flavours..

when it comes down to it im a person who doesnt care what the venue is... as long as theres piss on sale beats pumpin and peeps I know (or dont,depending on my mood) its all g.

end transmission

Redstar:

No fulla, it was open through to 2001 - 2002ish easy.

I helped promote many amateur all ages dance parties like Reflex at the old ministry back sometime between 2000-2001, and a few school balls etc with a few friends. We did a couple of parties at the power station too (like WhiteWash) then moved on to a permanent place in the viaduct.

I don't fully know when Ministry closed down, it may have been really late 2001 but I'm pretty sure it was still going in early 2002..

*edit to make sense*

Edited by Guest

i arrived after Fu changed locations so have no knowledge of the old Fu. but that aside, i have been to plenty of clubs in various countries and think Fu rocks up there with the best of them i'm a fan.

I like Fu (and other clubs that have this feature...) cause you have to walk upstairs to get in and the music gets louder and louder as you get nearer and nearer...i don't know, just having the stairs there to climb gets me real amped for the night

I dunno man, no doubt there are issues with the sound, but its dark and dirty, n thats the way it should be. Fu could easily sort it out by adjusting the light for the style of gig; blocking window light, possibly even changing the colour of the lights.. Anyway, id rather go to a gig at coherant over fu anyday, and it doesnt feel good sayin that either.

Good sound > lighting conditions imo, but that's just me, I'm weird like that.