Krull

classic for its time, it even has a young liam neeson

its a shame the Glade was lost in the movie they could have done a sequel

in fact they should do a remake for 2007

Dark City

another great Sci Fi movie from the director of the first Crow movie

with the lovely Jennifer Connelly

very dark and gothic like

if you ask me, and you probably arent, this was the Wachowski brothers basis for The Matrix

DARK CITY

I will be part of the rabid throngs of people lining up to catch a spectacle as huge as Reloaded and Revolution. Despite(and maybe because of) Matrix sky high hype right now, my thoughts drift back to this overlooked classic...but a little on Neo and gang first below...

The Matrix just happened.

With an uncanny midas touch, The Warchowski bros launched this(then unknown film) at the the right place, in the right time. With an execution commercial enough to bring in the box office moola and a philosophical subtext accessible enough for the general public to latch on to, the rest, as they say...is history.

The philosophical under pinnings though, (of blue pills, red pills, the subreality of consciousness and all that mambo jambo etc), so successfully popularised by The Matrix, was infact neither originated by The Matrix nor as fully realised than in other more accomplished works.

Which leads me to....drumroll.....

As such, IMHO, the best execution on the concept of reality and perception was already explored in a much more unbelievably visual opus, one year earlier, the grossly overlooked, criminally under-rated,

"Dark City". (One of My Top 10 All time Favourite Films)

This scifi/ film noir hybrid was impactful both cinematically and ideologically. Most importantly, it rewarded my wildly abandoned reach for human imagination and thirst for ideas, by fulfilling as much promise a motion picture can ever hope to give.

On top of that, my background as a "trekkie" scifi nerd meant I instinctively respond to films which challenge me both intellectually and spiritually. Dark City was thus a near religious, life cleansing experience for me.

And any which way I look at it, this film soars to heights unseen since 2001: A Space Odyssey...

But due to its messed up(or near-absent) marketing campaign(positioning the film to resemble a horror film for the teenage crowd), the film did not find its intended audience and flopped unceremoniously. Of course it found its audience but by then its was too late...

That said, the thirst for something better than our run of the mill pop corn fare is still there, waiting to be quenched.

And The Matrix filled that void.

Too bad it wasn't this film. But in a ideal world, it would. Sad.

Donnie Darko

i was lucky enough to hear about the hype of this movie via the undeground internet chatrooms

and managed to see this while i was over in Australia the year it came out, watched it in a nice little art house theatre

quite a few people i knew at the time completely missed seeing this at the movies

bo for them and being completely blinded by whats shown to them on TV. they probably went and saw gladiator that year instead of Donnie Darko

Requiem For A Dream

what is with me and cult movies

this movie was crazy and a great follow up from PI for writer, director Darren Aronofsky

very hipnotic and again the lovely Jennifer Connelly is in it, i think yu can see her muff in this movie and then theres the ass 2 ass scene

iRobot

based on the sci fi writings of Isaac Asimov, the guy was a genius and had great imagination

its a shame they had to put big names in the movie to sell it, so it loses some points with me on that front

not quite cult enough

lookin down at my dvds i see..

red hot chili peppers - funky monks

easy rider

apocalypse now

pink floyd - live in pompeii

pink floyd - the dark side of the moon

pulp fiction

led zeppelin - led zeppelin

rage against the machine - live at grand olympic auditorium

queens of the stone age - over the years and through the woods

sonic youth - the videos 1990 - 2002

red hot chili peppers - what hits!?

jeff buckley - live in chicago

donnie darko

fear & loathing in las vegas

red hot chili peppers - off the map

fight club

red hot chili peppers - live at slane castle

primus - animals should not try to act like people

tool - parabola/schism

beastie boys - videos

Pirates of the Caribbean

my favourite movie of 2003, i went and saw this 3 separate times plus it had Keira Knightley in it, shes so attractive, now that ive mentioned her it brings up a memory.

whilst on tour in CHCH, i was talking with kiljoy and the other paradigm members about who we thought were the hottest women chicks around, we mainly got the usual which i cant recall at this moment, but i do remember kiljoy saying Alyson Hannigan which i had to agree with, then me being all cult like said Keira Knightley, no one had any idea who the hell i was talking about, i said that she was in a movie called The Hole and that she was going to be in a movie called Bend it like Beckham. they still had no idea what i was on about.

of course everyone knows who she is now and shes no longer at the top of my list. i should probably renew my list

12 Monkeys

i studied this movie in 5th form english, another cult classic

great performances by bruce and brad

whoa... so did I, I'd already seen the movie a few times... so watching it at english was a good excuse to get blazed at lunch time in preparation for the 45 minutes of goodness that was 5th period engrish.

and...

DVD collection = empty aside from burnt dvd's... tell ya what though, if I had the coin to throw at DVD's... I'd be pickin up the Hexstatic DVD - Master-View... it's pure phatness

Apart from descent tunage and vids... it comes with 3d glasses and has a few 3d music vids, very cool.

Edited by Guest

Peepshow Series One

now this is Cult

i P.I.M.P Blame

i P.I.M.P Distinction Ale

and i P.I.M.P

PEEPSHOW

if you havent seen it yet you obviously havent caught me at the right time nor have you seen my display pic in my msn]

i even harrased Prime to get it a better Time Slot which they came up with thank god

but i must say that watching it on TV is not the Same as watching the whole thing from begining to end on a DVD non stop

Nato will Testify

and soon so will Aphra

quote:

"the truth is i spose i like you, thats why i said the song "i like you"

is that such a crime, should i be hounded to the ends

of the earth just for liking you

i like you and if you cant handle it

you can just ..... you know ..... fuck off"

The PIMP has spoken

Peepshow Series Two

as above

quote:Mark

"theres probably much less to worry about with gay sex,

i mean you know where you are with a cock"

i think of Soba when i say that out aloud

LORD OF THE RINGS

FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

THE TWO TOWERS

RETURN OF THE KING

all Extended Version DVD's

saw each of these movies atleast three times at the movies separately and then went and saw the whole Trilogy in one sitting from 1pm to about 11am

pure Epicness

PAYCHECK

more Sci Fi madness, do you get the feeling most of my DVD collection is made up of Sci Fi movies

Phillip K Dick inspired movie, another sci fi writer genius much like Isaac Asimov, but again like iRobot too many big names for it be a cult movie

12 Monkeys

i studied this movie in 5th form english, another cult classic

great performances by bruce and brad

whoa... so did I, I'd already seen the movie a few times... so watching it at english was a good excuse to get blazed at lunch time in preparation for the 45 minutes of goodness that was 5th period engrish.

we went to the movies to see this in high school, i was definately into this movie but there was also this girl who was sitting next to me who was kinda distractingly beautiful........ and i had ice in my mouth

High Fidelity

i could rlate to this movie very deeply

great story

absolutely love John Cusacks acting abilities, he could almost be the Hugh Grant of America

thats how much class of an actor i see him as

lookin down at my dvds i see..

red hot chili peppers - funky monks

easy rider

apocalypse now

pink floyd - live in pompeii

pink floyd - the dark side of the moon

pulp fiction

led zeppelin - led zeppelin

rage against the machine - live at grand olympic auditorium

queens of the stone age - over the years and through the woods

sonic youth - the videos 1990 - 2002

red hot chili peppers - what hits!?

jeff buckley - live in chicago

donnie darko

fear & loathing in las vegas

red hot chili peppers - off the map

fight club

red hot chili peppers - live at slane castle

primus - animals should not try to act like people

tool - parabola/schism

beastie boys - videos

wicked man.. you got some good dvds.. some of which i own myself

Bjork- Live at the royal oprea house

Bjork- Volumen

Bjork- Inside Bjork

Pink Floyd- The wall

Red hot chilli peppers-Funky monks

Red hot chilli peppers-What hits?

Family guy series 1 2 3

and few other dumb ones i got given

the ring

house of 1000 corpses

lost in translation

the man who knew too much

KUNG FU HUSTLE

a friend had brought over his quality rip version, it made me laugh so hard i had to order it and order it i did, well before it came out over here

i love subtitled movies

CASSHERN

another cult movie based on the japanese comic book hero

great story line and cool effects in the movie

i think im the only person to ahve heard of this movie unless you wana prove me wrong

was apparently the highest grossing film in japan or somethign along those lines

Edited by Guest