Best CDJ / 4ch Mixer setup for $6000?

paulg

Ok I need some advice here. I'm adding CDJ's to my setup ... but I'm still gunna rock the vinyl, so I also need a 4 channel mixer.

I'm probably going to go with CDJ-1000 MK3's (unless there are any other suggestions?)

But what mixer should I go with?

The DJM-800 looks like a pretty sweet deal, but all the clubs seem to be using those Allen & Heath unit's ... so I was considering a Xone(??) to practice with the 4 eq's.

Is there any advantage to going with a all Pioneer setup, or should I invest in something else?

Thoughts please ...

I'm probably going to go with CDJ-1000 MK3's (unless there are any other suggestions?)

standard

But what mixer should I go with?

You dont really need a 4 channel mixer. Just flick between the phono and line channels. I'd go Rane mixer but thats a sizable bias. The only pioneermixers I've had a jam on all clip like crazy

tbh you could get what you're after for well under 6k, *Cue A&H fanboys*

Edited by Guest

where's all this money of yours coming from dude? I hope your not getting yourself into debt!

I rate the Xone'92 as the best mixer I've ever played on... I don't like the Rane Empath at all cause it doesn't have meters on the channels. I've never played on a DJM-800 but they're supposed to be pretty good and I heard that they're standard piece of gear in most of Europe except for the leet places which use a '92

thing i like about the djm's is they have alot more led lights on each channel, so you can get levels perfect when brining em in. xone62's suk dik for that. think 92's are ok, but the djm is laid out so clearly in that respect..

maybe best to go try a few out , see what you like.. youve tried mine, which is essentially the same as a 800, hit up nato & nate for a jam on a 92 & 62

hmmmm.....

the xone is sickness,probably the best mixer ive played on,my only gripe being i occasionally flick the little cross fade assign switches under the eqs which ultimately can make the next cut i do sound a bit doonghi but meh,i do too many cuts anyway.top quality piece of gear for sure.

we have the rane one at the basefm studio for serato and its good to mix aswell,you can still have cdjs and serato and with a flick of the switch your back on normal vinyl playback.come up for a mix on wednesday with us sometime and check it out for yourself if you want paul...

You use the led lights to match levels? That's what your ears are for... THe LED's are only good for telling you if a tune is peaking

when your cd volume is all over the place, which they generally are, it gives good indications where to start.

Would you consider buying Serato & a brand new laptop fully specced for less than $2k instead? In fact, why not go that route, and then spend the remaining $4k on the 92.

Personally, it's all about the x:one 4D lol ;D

But seriously, you can get a brand new fully capable laptop, and serato for less than a single MK3 CDDJ. I'm happy to walk you through the pro's and con's of the digital path if you're keen..

I think I'll take the CDJ step at this stage tb, maybe look at all digital once i've mastered the J's. I'd like to be more confident on the 1000's and a decent mixer when I'm playing out ... a decent club spec setup is what I want.

I read up that the xones sound a lot better with vinyl on large systems as they are analog compared to the digital DJM ... but this probably doesn't make a lot of difference with a digital source, am I right?

I don't know if I can warrant spending $4k on a mixer aye ...

I think I'll take the CDJ step at this stage tb, maybe look at all digital once i've mastered the J's. I'd like to be more confident on the 1000's and a decent mixer when I'm playing out ... a decent club spec setup is what I want.

I read up that the xones sound a lot better with vinyl on large systems as they are analog compared to the digital DJM ... but this probably doesn't make a lot of difference with a digital source, am I right?

I don't know if I can warrant spending $4k on a mixer aye ...

Fair enough. It was because you love Vinyl that I suggested Serato. You get the benefit of playing digitally, without having to constantly burn media and you get to use what you know best - vinyl.

I also suggest Serato+Laptop because recently, even at wholesale Monaco prices, CDDJ's are still completely and utterly unrealistically priced. As you were though!

DJM 800 vs Xone:92

I'm biased because I have the 92 at home and absolutely love it, that said I have played a lot on the DJM 800 as well because thats the mixer they use at Coherent. The 800 is definitely the best of the Pioneers. The 600 etc all have very bad clipping issues with very little forgiveness when you accidentally redline. The 800 doesn't suffer from this issue, has much nicer feeling eq knobs & faders and is all round a much nicer feeling piece of gear. I would rate the 92 above the 800 for the sheer fact that I prefer the eq setup and once you are comfortable, the filter setup can be used to help out with otherwise very tricky mixes.

End of the day you are looking at basically the 2 best "club" mixers available and you will be happy with either one, however if it was me I would go 92. Avoid the 62 at all costs imo, they fucked the eq section on that by including the full cut on the bass eq which when set at full minus cuts all bass and most of the mids out of your mix. Even when you are used to this it is very easy to accidentally cut into the full cut by mistake which makes your mix sound tinny as fuck.

Stil, I wish there was some way I could make a Rane Empath mate with an A&H 92 so I could keep the baby

It would pretty much be the Empath with the A&H filters.. ungh ungh!! *drool*

the empath is built outta the same components as the xone 92.. penny & guile faders etc.. so an empath with filters basically is the 92

100%.

Stil, I wish there was some way I could make a Rane Empath mate with an A&H 92 so I could keep the baby

It would pretty much be the Empath with the A&H filters.. ungh ungh!! *drool*

The Rane TTM57SL Serato mixer which is real similar to the Empath has some of those effects. sshhwwwoop. I love my Rane.

You use the led lights to match levels? That's what your ears are for... THe LED's are only good for telling you if a tune is peaking

I use the channel meters A LOT when I'm mixing to set the channel gains - I try to set the gain so that the tune is as loud as it can be with the fader on full without clipping which is easy to see if you have good meters and it's usually a pretty good estimate when your mixing modern dnb. I'll then use my ears to fine tune the levels on the faders if I need to. Good meters on the channels are fucking crucial if you're using CDJ's IMO cause there is a lot more track to track variability than you usually get on Vinyl.

Good meters on the channels are fucking crucial if you're using CDJ's IMO cause there is a lot more track to track variability than you usually get on Vinyl.

Ah - not using CDJ's that often would probably be the reason I don't pay much attention to the meters