workplace "restructuring"

skono

My work is undergoing a "restructuring" phase, in which 9 out of 60 jobs are being made redundant.

Then they are creating 6 new jobs, of which the people who are made redundant will have to reapply for!

While this doesn't mean shit to me (i'm finishing this thursday anyway :acidnana:), i feel really bad for my close workmates.

They have just gone to a meeting to find out whether they still have their jobs! If they don't have them, they may have to battle it out against eachother for one of the new positions that have been created

has anyone elses workplace had a restructuring phase like this? has anyone been made redundant?

yea, been there... done that... iinet bought out Ihug a few years back... did the whole restructuring thing... however there was no promise made which outlined staff from within the company filling the new positions.

It's a common strategy when upper management takes the viewpoint of lowwer management being too cosey... restructure and put new jobs on the table... rehire new managers which behave more like puppets and have less sympathy/compassion for their peers as they may not have worked there way up the comporate ladder beside their underlings

Yeah some randon German dude we used to flat with.... I think he planned to leave his job to go back to NZ, but then his plans changed and he wanted to stay on, but his employers said the position requirements had suddenly 'changed' and he had to re-appy or something *LOL*... and no, he didn't get it the second time *LOL*...

Having said that, I think working in HR would be one of the most shithouse jobs out there. Everyone I know who works in HR hates it.

Having said that, I think working in HR would be one of the most shithouse jobs out there. Everyone I know who works in HR hates it.

hmmmm... yes HR: doers of the devil's dirtywork.

some of theme are back now, but no one is talking and the vibe is ice-talk. i'm scared to ask them what happened!