need geek help

shucks

fuck ok so my internet has been driving me absolutely insane over the last couple of days..

running wireless from my desktop, says its all connected and everything, but then when i try to use aim or msn it doesnt connect and when i go into all the browsers i cant get into any pages... strangely skype still works though..

used my mates laptop before and internet was workin sweet from his so dont think its the router or our internet connection or anything..

tried heaps of shit but nothing has worked aye, its really shit tho coz it just started happening and i dont know why..

tried turning off all the firewalls and all that jazz, ran like 3 diff virus scans and got rid of some spyware an shit but still not working

ahh what do i do?

Either ports are blocked, or you've got a virus. And no, not the awesome synth.

Typical behaviour like this - where you can access the net via some products like Skype who set up their own ports, vs, say simple things like web browsing normally fall within 'botnet' symptoms.

So yes, please see a doctor asap.

not necessarily a virus imo. it could also be a dns issue of some sort as im pretty sure skype runs directly off IP addresses where as your browser runs of domain names.

click on start > run > type 'cmd' and hit enter

type 'ipconfig /all'

and see what comes up for your DNS servers.

post your results.

or the other thing im thinking is it could be that you're proxy server has been set to 'automatically detect settings.

go to the control panel and open internet options,

click on the connections tab and click on the LAN settings button down the bottom.

there should be nothing ticked on this page.

if 'automatically detect settings' is ticked, untick it.

hit ok, then ok again.

see if that works.

hit me back.

Could be heaps of things not just ports or a virus. DNS settings, browser or proxy issues, modem/router or wireless settings..

If you're central, I can pop over and suss it for you...

txt me on 021311088

Otherwise, check your DNS resolution is working (open up command prompt and try ping drumandbass.co.nz, see if it resolves the DNS name to an IP address.

It should look like this...

In the event that that test is successful, I would be uninstalling any 3rd party applications that monitor HTTP traffic.

The fact that skype is working sort of rules out a lot of things (NAT problems, physical connectivity/wireless bung), ie the packets are flowing through the pipes ok :teef:

The fact that all broswers are poked sort of rules out an invalid proxy specified as they have independent proxy settings.

Typical behaviour like this - where you can access the net via some products like Skype who set up their own ports, vs, say simple things like web browsing normally fall within 'botnet' symptoms.

So yes, please see a doctor asap.

What the shit are you on about?

DNBNZ IT squad rollout. We should get matching T shirts or something.

( for the sarcasm impaired - I'm looking at you Adam)

Edited by Guest

Actually... I can see that you posted just now from an Orcon address...

What did the Ping attempt come back with...

"Request timed out."

or

"Ping request could not find host drumandbass.co.nz. Please check the name and try again."

Ping request could not find host drumandbass.co.nz. Please check the name and try again

First try use your router as a DNS proxy... (This is assuming your Router supports this)

Go into the properties of your Wireless Connection...

Go into the TCP/IP properties...

Do a quick reboot and try browse

Edited by Guest