need geek help

shucks

First try use your router as a DNS proxy... (This is assuming your Router supports this)

Go into the properties of your Wireless Connection...

Go into the TCP/IP properties...

Do a quick reboot and try browse

nah man that didnt work

its a bit of a pain in the ass, but what it does is basically wipes and reinstalls your TCP/IP protocol and is a last ditch effort to restore connectivity. only do this if all other avenues dont work.

follow these steps precicely:

1. click start > run

2. type 'regedit' and click ok

3. browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services

4. find the folders 'Winsock' & 'Winsock2' and one by one right click on each of these folders and delete them.

5. exit the registry editor and reboot your machine.

note: when your machine restarts, you may encounter some errors, ignore them.

6. go to conrol panel > network connections > right click on your wireless connection and go to properties.

7. click on the install button

8. choose protocol and click add

9. click on the 'have disk' button.

10. in the box under where it says 'Copy manufacturer's files from:' type in "c:\windows\inf" and click on OK.

11. Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click OK.

note: if you dont see this exact option in the right hand box, then click on 'microsoft' in the left box and it should appear.

12. click close on the wireless properties box.

13. restart your computer again.

14. try the internet. it should be fixed now.

*disclaimer: only use if you're confident you can follow these instructions. If you get stuck and somethings not where its supposed to be or is different from the exact instructions ive written, feel free to give me a call on 410 9039 and i can advise you on how to proceed.

PS, if you do this and it fucks out, its not my fault. do it at your own risk.

you realize that if he has Service Pack 2 or later, you can do all that by typing "netsh winsock reset" into command prompt right?

word.. this command was a saviour for me so many times when i worked on help desk.

def one of my favourite command prompt fixes imo

192.168.1.1 IS a DNS server... the Router in fact, which acts as both a DNS Server and a DNS Client... (in other words it's a DNS proxy). So by setting it to that, it would ask the Router to do DNS lookups instead of contacting the Orcon DNS servers directly as it was already trying to do. (The router would also contact those same servers)

Anyways, I've spoken to shucks and heres more info...

NSLOOKUP works fine, so the DNS server address that he has setup is fine... not the problem at all.

Can ping IP addresses - not the internet connection at fault

Can Browse to websites using IP addresses - validates that the issue is DNS.

So... in summary, windows DNS is fucked and proven to be fucked. NSLOOKUP doesn't rely on the same windows TCP/IP resources for DNS Resolution, so the fact that NSLOOKUP works and a ping to a Domain doesn't, indicates that Windows TCP/IP is rooted.

netsh winsock reset - No luck

netsh winsock reset catalog - No luck

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt - No luck

Reinstalled TCP/IP/deleted Winsock/winsock2 registry keys - No luck

System Restore - No luck, no restore points available

I have recommended reinstalling Windows XP

If anyone has any other solutions to try, bring em on

192.168.1.1 IS a DNS server... the Router in fact, which acts as both a DNS Server and a DNS Client... (in other words it's a DNS proxy). So by setting it to that, it would ask the Router to do DNS lookups instead of contacting the Orcon DNS servers directly as it was already trying to do. (The router would also contact those same servers)

yeah but you never know if the router DNS proxy function is working properly. I know there have been occasions where I have had to set the DNS directly in the TCP/IP properties...

I'd try entering a different DNS to the orcon one like the free opendns one I posted before (208.67.222.222) if you haven't already tried that. Chances are slim that it will fix the problem but worth trying anyways IMO.

Hijackthis log?

Hosts.ini?

Download sypbot perhaps...

This is beginning to sound like a nasty rootkit I had to deal with once. Could still be a faulty network card, you could also do a complete network stack re-install.

Did I see you had a nForce chipset too?

No a bad suggestion to try a completely different DNS server address altogether...

The reason I think it's not the issue is that he can do DNS lookups using nslookup.exe using both the router and the Orcon DNS servers... this indicates that DNS lookups are possible using his current config.

nslookup.exe is separate from the Windows API DNS resolution, which in my oppinion is where the issue is.

The Windows NS Lookups via the API is far more complicated as programmers have access to trigger code through 3rd party apps via the API. I should have mentioned before, but shucks was saying that he updated AVG. just before it conked out...

Not sure if AVG does or not, but it's likely that it has hooks into the Windows API to monitor DNS lookups... if so, it could easily fuck things up.

AVG is now uninstalled, so theres not much there that can be done... but to conclude the essay, I don't think the DNS server change would fix it... but by all means try it... how knows, I'm just educated guessing here