Coming to NZ in June for a year!!

sammyg

So is dnb big in NZ? it took me quite a while to find ppl up in Edinburgh who were into it and its almost all guys up here, i mean its fun going out with guys all the time but sometimes i miss my girlie dnb nights like i had in London.

also what kind of stuff do most DJs play? i'm really into lynx, marcus intalex, instra:mental, eveson, calibre, that kinda stuff but we don't get much of that up in ed

We have a relatively healthy vibrant scene here with a semi-regular flow of internationals coming through - you'll have a great time and meet friends in no time! Both sides of the mellow/heavy scene are pretty well represented in Auckland.

The pension step reference is just an 'in-joke' which Mike is never going to let die... It doesn't mean only old people that are shit at dancing go to those kind of gigs - it's more taking the piss out of some of the people on this forum who are into those kinda artists you mentioned and don't go out much anymore cause the internationals are on past their bed-time!

The pension step reference is just an 'in-joke' which Mike is never going to let die... It doesn't mean only old people that are shit at dancing go to those kind of gigs - it's more taking the piss out of some of the people on this forum who are into those kinda artists you mentioned and don't go out much anymore cause the internationals are on past their bed-time!

You best watch yourself or I'll get the slipper massive onto ya. :armata_pdt_27:

You best watch yourself or I'll get the slipper massive onto ya. :armata_pdt_27:

sounds like Dr Awesome is fishing for a date here

fixed

pension step is a myth! boycott the term. we are mostly young and virile

haha ok, i generally try not to use all the ---step words anyway coz it is getting beyond the point of ridiculous and nobody even knows what anyone else is talking about anymore. altho i went to a night not too long ago where there was this crazy old guy going nuts, he musta been 75+ and he didnt stop dancing this kinda shuffle march kinda thing the whole time....and the night went til 6am. i think if anything is going to be called pension step that was it. good on him tho, if i can still manage a london club night on my 75th birthday i will be pretty pleased with myself.

so is albany far from the clubs? i live like 4 mins walk from the main 3 dnb spots here so i usually pop down 4 or 5 times a week, just for an hour or so on nights when i've got work or longer otherwise, but i think that was a pretty unique situation and i'm guessing i wont be able to do that there.

also perceptualChaos, when u say internationals, u mean international djs, not just general international ppl right?

its funny hearing them called that

sounds like Dr Awesome is fishing for a date here

fixed

also perceptualChaos, when u say internationals, u mean international djs, not just general international ppl right?

its funny hearing them called that

Seeing as in the UK, one can see 10 international DJ's on a single night... lol

We get about one 'international'/big name DJ a month, sometimes more visiting Auckland covering all styles from Commix, Intalex, Doc Scott and Calibre to Evol Intent (July) and Black Sun Empire

so is albany far from the clubs? i live like 4 mins walk from the main 3 dnb spots here so i usually pop down 4 or 5 times a week, just for an hour or so on nights when i've got work or longer otherwise, but i think that was a pretty unique situation and i'm guessing i wont be able to do that there.

30ish minutes on the bus depending where you get on. Definitely not gonna be walking to the clubs...

30ish minutes on the bus depending where you get on. Definitely not gonna be walking to the clubs...

hmmm could be worse, do they run all night?

Seeing as in the UK, one can see 10 international DJ's on a single night... lol

We get about one 'international'/big name DJ a month, sometimes more visiting Auckland covering all styles from Commix, Intalex, Doc Scott and Calibre to Evol Intent (July) and Black Sun Empire

about the same as edinburgh really, which is pretty impressive considering ed-london is 4.5 hours on the train. we only get 1 or 2 a month, sometimes a few more if we're lucky and we barely ever get liquid djs.

the main reason i applied to nz in the first place was i was out and managed to blag my way backstage and it was the night before the deadline and i'd decided not to apply but was having last minute doubts if maybe i should and i talked to LE and randall and both of them said how much they liked nz and i would really love it and regret not trying for it and so i came home drunk and wrote my application figuring in the unlikely event that i did get a place i could always turn it down if it didnt seem like such a good idea when i was sober. can't believe i actually got it

Haha nah man buses stop around 11pm on weekends although on Saturday night there is a nightrider that goes at 1am 2am and 3am but that's as late as it gets and not even sure if it goes through albany? Your probably gonna end up having to taxi probably like 40-50bux? So best make some buddies to share it with haha

Haha nah man buses stop around 11pm on weekends although on Saturday night there is a nightrider that goes at 1am 2am and 3am but that's as late as it gets and not even sure if it goes through albany? Your probably gonna end up having to taxi probably like 40-50bux? So best make some buddies to share it with haha

Yeah to be honest if you're on the shore cabs are usually the go. There are quiet a few of us up theseways now however. I'd say you're looking at between $50/60 for a cab realistically. The worse news is that you'll want to go up the motorway, rather than into the suburbs like everybody else, so unless you can find somewhere to crash for the night you'll be cabbing alone too. Ask Paul G how he manages it, I think he basically lives in Albany.

Yeah it's a bit of a mission from Albany to Town.... But busses go till 10:30pm and they start again at like 7/7:30am. Considering gigs start at about 10/11 and finish about 5/6 that's not tooooo bad if you can hang out with friends until the busses start or find someone to share a cab/hitch a ride with.

And yeah when we say 'international' it means 'famous DJ from outside NZ'. We have a weird island mentality where, if you put " (UK)" next to someones name on the flyer it makes them look special hehe.

Just arrived in Auckland, missed the LE gig :-( gutted

Just been up and down queenstreet really so far, staying in BASE backpackers.

Anyone else around this area?

Just looking back at thread and saw that its weird that only one international dj plays in NZ every month. Where as in Uk we are spoilt for choice, have andy c playing room 1 in fabric then ltj bukem playing room2 and noisia playing room 3 all at same time! lol its good but bad at same time.

You'll find the DJ's here play longer sets, and from my experience they bring more when they're touring anyway.

Some of our local DJ's are at a similar level skill wise to the UK scene so checking out an all locals night in AKL is recommended as most have DJ's their own unique sound/style in terms of skills and selection.

• 2 weeks later...

wow from that map perceptual Chaos posted it looks pretty far ah well, figure it out when i get there.

Some of our local DJ's are at a similar level skill wise to the UK scene so checking out an all locals night in AKL is recommended as most have DJ's their own unique sound/style in terms of skills and selection.

who are the best NZ DJs? i kno agent alvin, concord dawn, shapeshifter, state of mind, mosus but he lives in the uk now doesnt he?, trei (they're all from NZ right?) ummm cant really think of any more but i think out of them i've only seen shapeshifter so i'm really looking forward to catching the others.

also who on here organizes nights? i bumped into randall again the other week and he said he is touring oz in october (i think it was oct) but hasnt got any NZ dates planned, would be great if someone could get him over, the last few sets of his i've seen have been immense.

who are the best NZ DJs?

me and kwrk...and some other guys...

IMO half the DJ's on this board hold it down just as well as any on the technical/selection front.

I'd name them all, but fear I would leave some out.

who are the best NZ DJs? i kno agent alvin, concord dawn, shapeshifter, state of mind, mosus but he lives in the uk now doesnt he?, trei (they're all from NZ right?) ummm cant really think of any more but i think out of them i've only seen shapeshifter so i'm really looking forward to catching the others.

Missed the best ones IMO:

Upbeats, Cern, Dose

Missed the best ones IMO:

Upbeats, Cern, Dose

menace, teknik, organkismness, urban notion, tokyo prose. and those are just the signed producers. theres stacks of decent unsigned producers too.

And waay to much DJ talent to make a list of names.

nz kicks ass imo