torrenting tunes you've lost

Pakage

Is it ok to torrent tunes you've bought but lost?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ok to torrent tunes you've bought but lost?

• Yes
    • No
    • I torrent everything regardless
    • i cant decide?!

ive just been thinking about this question quite a bit recently.

if you've previously bought a tune, on CD or vinyl, but you've since lost it or had it stolen. Is it (morally) ok to download the tune illegally to replace the one that you paid honest money for?

I havent resorted to this yet, but i have to admit, im increasingly tempted to, especially for tunes which i cant find available on any of the online record stores or in MP3 format.

whats your 2c?

thought it might be an interesting topic for debate anyhow.

Edited by Guest

Morally I can't see the problem as you've already supported the artist.

Legally wrong but I'm not sure how much attention people pay to where mp3's came from.

My advice would be that it would depend on the tune, situation and intended use of the tune.

say for example we have quite the thou shalt not steal music culture in dnb and I think that's healthy, so you wouldn't want to be playing a tune that someone knows you couldn't have downloaded legally in a club (I guess you could say it's a rip from vinyl)

if you just intend to listen to it on your ipod and it's not a track by someone or a friend of someone who's likely to be looking over your shoulder in club land than go nuts

it's only like $3-4 to buy a quality 320 mp3 legally, so where possible just do that. if the tune wasn't available from mp3 sites and you had to torrent it, i'd say a lot of people would still frown upon you no matter what your excuse was. also in most cases it would mean the mp3 is a vinyl rip (like most torrented dnb as far as i know) which means the quality isn't really good enough.

I think it's 100% OK to do it with Digital tunes, provided you:

a) Bought the original via a medium that supported the artist. ie. No dodgy Russian web sites.

b) Did not sell the original (thus why you don't have it anymore).

My reasoning is very simple:

If I buy a physical item, like a spanner for example - I pay cash for a device constructed by someone using physical materials. If said device were to be stolen, or misplaced - that's it, there's no way I can legally get another copy of it because I had paid for materials & labour for said device which cannot be attained for free, unless I make it myself.

However... /enter digital realm.

If I buy digital arts online, subject to licensing I am entitled to a single copy of that digital art, even though duplicating the digital arts costs the artist nothing (in either resources, or financial gain), no matter how many times I do it for my own personal use at home.

Therefore as I have already purchased my entitlement to a copy of said arts, provided I do not transfer or sell said arts, I personally believe there is NOTHING wrong with procuring a copy, provided I had owned the original and am entitled to one.

I'd be 100% against it if in some way, shape or form it was hurting the artist, but truth is, I've already supported the artist and as I haven't sold or transferred ownership of my license of their goods, technically I'm still entitled?

IMO.

PS. I haven't had to, as I keep back ups of all my music. But should it ever happen, that's how I'd feel about the mission to reacquire any music I'd lost to a drive failure or something.

PPS. Which reminds me.. time to do another back up. Haha

When you buy vinyl you also pay a higher price than you would pay compared with digital to cover the materials. If you go through the numbers you basically pay the same amount to the artist (give or take 10%) in both cases so using that with the above reasoning it would be ok to download as well.

I think it's possible to come up with an argument for most points of view though and in the end it's relative to your personal moral framework.

Essentially DRM is like trying to make music a physical purchase. If you need to reformat and can't provide the key assigned to your PC (ie. Digirama) your DRM music becomes utterly useless and you need to repurchase.

I support artists but I don't support DRM. That's why I've only just recently started purchasing some lesser known / more popular tunes off iTunes as you won't find them anywhere but in CD stores.

IMO if you pay $25 for a vinyl from groovy/beatmerch, then it gets stolen/lost, i dont think downloading it illegally is the end of the world.

Cant you re-download tunes u have already bought on beatport for free? i get alot of tunage from there and thought you could, or am i just dreaming?

Cant you re-download tunes u have already bought on beatport for free?

only for a certain time period, which is like a month or two I think

Its only a 4 hour window, this has raped me in the past. They don't reply to emails about this either

I reckon its okay to download a tune that you've lost provided the quality is okay which in 90 % of cases it isn't. Do the tune justice if your gonna play it out.

Its only a 4 hour window, this has raped me in the past. They don't reply to emails about this either

I reckon its okay to download a tune that you've lost provided the quality is okay which in 90 % of cases it isn't. Do the tune justice if your gonna play it out.

Beatport is a fucker when it comes to re-downloading tunes.

And yeah, if you can't get an original of the original - ie. from someone else who may have bought it from Beatport/Trackitdown or whatever - it's def not worth the effort if you're playing out professionally. For listening purposes at home, np.

Beatport is a fucker when it comes to re-downloading tunes.

And yeah, if you can't get an original of the original - ie. from someone else who may have bought it from Beatport/Trackitdown or whatever - it's def not worth the effort if you're playing out professionally. For listening purposes at home, np.

You can re download tunes from beatport after the 4 hours all you have to do is go to the ask the question section on the site. And tell them the order number and the tune code and they will re host them. They dont reply to your emails tho.