California to review marijuana prohibition

perceptualChaos

this would mean the price would drop dramatically right?

Unlikely, growers would be wanting to get the same sort of money for their crops. Then put on some tax and the other overheads of a legitimate distribution chain and it will more than likely end up costing more.

yeh growers would want the same but if it were legal the middle men wouldnt drive the price so high, i mean, would the mark up if it were legal be the same as the price now for a pound compared with a pound in tinnies?

Don't forget the tax though. Take a look at how much NZ taxes tobacco & alcohol. Weed would be taxed at similar levels I would guess.

Yeah man, but you'd have to say it wouldn't be as simple as todays operations. There would no doubt be marketing costs, possibly advertising although to be fair the shit pretty much sells itself, distribution expenses which could no longer be paid out in ounces. I just can't see a government legalising a drug, and at the same time making it cheaper for people to acquire. They will be looking at the numbers currently involved in the industry and rubbing their hands together at the thought of how much they could potentially make.