Some podcast research. Tell me what you'd like to see!

Kivex

I'm putting a series together and I just wanted to do a bit of research beforehand so I don't lose any listeners straight off the bat

Whats your prefered size & length? Bitrate?

If it were DNB related, would you prefer to see a range across sub genres or specifying in one unique zone?

Talking over the top? How much is too much?

Also I'd like to ask podcast experts what their preferred programs and hardware of choice are

Anything else you'd like to add?

Thanks all!

if your gonna talk dont just be informative about the tunes...have a laugh and maybe do some interviews with local producers that are comin up or arent very well known.it would be nice to hear about other peoples approach/influences/gear etc.....

I'm in two minds about that. If you do a podcast with interviews/talking etc then try concentrate on something specific like a genre, area (AKL producers etc) or something like that.

if you're not talking then as long as you have a detailed tracklist (with approx times for slow people) people will know the tunes that are being played.

I'm in two minds about that. If you do a podcast with interviews/talking etc then try concentrate on something specific like a genre, area (AKL producers etc) or something like that.

i shouldve been more specific but yeah thats what i mean...

dubs, all good regular podcasts/radio shows are loaded with quality dubs, without them?.?.?...

yeah true dat.....get your hands on as much new and underground stuff as you can find...

Even if you can't fill a show with all dubs, a few brand new or really old tunes that are similar will do. I like it when someone pulls out some fresh dub, then a tune from 10 or so years before that sounds similar.

160 or 192kbps are both ok. If it's lower than that then I probably wouldn't even give it a chance. Higher is ok but not really necessary for a podcast IMO. 30min-1hr is a good length.

Talking at the beginning and end is good but not necessary... talking through the body is ok as long as it's sparse (every 15 minutes or so). Talking after every tune is a bad idea unless you're famous and have mad dubs.

In terms of content it just has to be something unique really. If it's the same shit as everyone else then I probably wouldn't bother downloading it - only so many hours in the week innit. Dubs definitely help with this but if you can bring something unique which is still cool without dubs then people will still probably listen. Although I know a lot of people just skip through these things listening to the dubs they're interested in. :P

I wouldn't bother, there's so much choice out there the market is massively diffuse. Like the rise of net radio. Unless you can offer something unique (which you probably can't) nobody is really going to care.

what a negative bastard Hamish

haha, he does have a point though.

Kivex - just do what you enjoy man, i agree with Maxtone as to length and quality.

I wouldn't bother, there's so much choice out there the market is massively diffuse. Like the rise of net radio. Unless you can offer something unique (which you probably can't) nobody is really going to care.

lol!

bit harsh, but there's some truths in that. especially these days with sooo many online mixes, radio shows, podcasts etc and only so many clicks to go around. so you may as well just do whatever you're passionate about rather than catering to the market, imo

Agree with the Dr. Its so easy to get podcasts from your favourite producers who have fresh as dubs and can mix up a storm.

If you start producing stuff better than skream and gettin fresher dubs than him, then ill download it.

But go for gold man. Do what ya wanna do