Electro Promoters - A guide to DNB and Dubstep for the unini

MikeE

I started this up on NZR, aimed at the electro guys who are enjoying dubstep, or trying to make some quick coin out of it.

This thread is aimed at a) taking the piss out of stupid mistakes on flyers, created by promoters who obviously have no idea of what sound they are promoting, and b) for their education.

It lasted about 30 seconds on biggie before a mod deleted it - possibly due to referring to Page 3's infamous "what you guys play isn't even electro rants"

1) The Genre is Dubstep, not Dub Step, not Dup Step (Unless you are a) retarded or b) Snoop Dogg) - if you are going to play a couple of rinsed out tracks by chase and status, in an attempt to get some of the scene kiddies along to your gig at least get the name of the Genre right.

Ref: http://www.nzrave.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=31&topic=72222.0

2) Its Fu Bar. Not Fuu Bar. If you are going to venture into Drum and Bass's sacred homeland, at least take the time to get the name of the venue right...

Ref: http://www.nzrave.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=31&topic=72265.0

3) Theres no such thing as Bassline Grime, its either bassline house, or grime - the two genres are polar opposites of each other

Ref: "Grubstep" gigs

... more to come

Who wants to add something..

http://www.nzrave.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=31&topic=72330.0

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think NZrave had an intelligentsia but apparently you stirred them up.

Nice way to come off like a patronizing cunt. What about the ever so tedious drum and bass -> dubstep connection you failed to mention?

This made me lol:

dubstep like other offshoots of drum and bass is one word yeah eg hardstep/techstep/darkstep. otherwise it can be confusing, as dub on its own is a genre so pays to make sure its clear imo..

PS: I like how this link pretty much describes everything you were talking about. Rinsed C&S tunes, Electro et al.

No need to be too protective of it blud, kids are gonna jump all over it whether you like it or not, so just let them do their thing and fuck it up along the way on their own...

Unfortunatley this is to true. The amount of flyers ive seen lately or facebook messages promoting gigs saying "Come on down for hiphop house electro AND EVEN DUB STEP" is hysterical.

The masses no people. But it was always gunna happen.

I blame sunrise

wouldn't worry too much about saying "dub step" rather than "dubstep" - hardly the end of the world.

it is funny how everyones a dubstep DJ / promoter these days though. and how so many electro / dnb gigs put "dubstep" on the flyer or whatever just to attract some extra punters

I personally like it where they put (dubstep) after an electro DJ's name because they have a pirated copy of Pro Nails (Rusko Remix) somewhere in their CD wallet...

... and yes, thats an actual example..

Seriously... who really cares if someone writes "dub step"? I've never seen anyone get their panties in a twist over someone referring to "tech step". That 'Fuu' typo is pretty inocuous as well - hardly worth starting a new thread on a bunch of different forums about. What did you expect to gain from posting that on nzrave? A punch in the face from one of the promoters you're dissing???

and yeah as Dr A mentioned... calling dubstep an offshoot of dnb in that thread is pretty fucked. that's like calling dnb an offshoot of hardcore. They are independent styles of music at different tempos with unique vibes both drawing influence from a multitude of other genres.

Dear MikeE,

You are a dick. I'm eating my lunch so I'll have to be brief:

I am really glad you got beat down in that NZRave thread, you deserved it moron.

People with stupid double standards piss me off. Your track lists in sets posted pander to exactly the lowest common denominator bullshit you whine against. Never through that one through did you? Maybe play some Mala rather than just quote him (he isn't in any of the sets you've posted in this forum). Also maybe, just maybe its not a good idea to play Running by Chase and Status and THEN whine about rinsed Chase and Status tunes.

Exactly what dub step* doesn't need is more dance floor aggyness and midrage flangestep... but wait! that's exactly what you play!

Oh, and with regards to the whole "Electro DJ's playing ONE Rusko bootleg" thing, don't get me started man. Considering you've done it your self I think it wouldn't be too much of an asusmption to suggest that you're just as much of a pirating asshole as the rest of them. In the unlikely event that ripping audio from a flash player / mp3 mix didn't sound illegitimate to you still deserve this flame beacuse you must be thicker than two very short planks.

In summary, if you plan on being an elitist wanker, plan on doing it properly, instead of doing everyone a disservice by putting a bad name out there for for yourself, and the genre as a whole.

*Oh wow, its a hyphenated word and you wonder why people leave a space when pronounce it

Dear MikeE,

You are a dick. I'm eating my lunch so I'll have to be brief:

I am really glad you got beat down in that NZRave thread, you deserved it moron.

People with stupid double standards piss me off. Your track lists in sets posted pander to exactly the lowest common denominator bullshit you whine against. Never through that one through did you? Maybe play some Mala rather than just quote him (he isn't in any of the sets you've posted in this forum). Also maybe, just maybe its not a good idea to play Running by Chase and Status and THEN whine about rinsed Chase and Status tunes.

Exactly what dub step* doesn't need is more dance floor aggyness and midrage flangestep... but wait! that's exactly what you play!

Oh, and with regards to the whole "Electro DJ's playing ONE Rusko bootleg" thing, don't get me started man. Considering you've done it your self I think it wouldn't be too much of an asusmption to suggest that you're just as much of a pirating asshole as the rest of them. In the unlikely event that ripping audio from a flash player / mp3 mix didn't sound illegitimate to you still deserve this flame beacuse you must be thicker than two very short planks.

In summary, if you plan on being an elitist wanker, plan on doing it properly, instead of doing everyone a disservice by putting a bad name out there for for yourself, and the genre as a whole.

*Oh wow, its a hyphenated word and you wonder why people leave a space when pronounce it

He ain't wrong.