EDM Magazine article (LA) on NZ Drum n Bass

hybriddnb

Hey yo, this is an article a mate wrote for EDM magazine based in L.A on his experiences here in NZ over a 2 week period.. thought id share.

New Zealand

By Wil Dumaop

Photography by Sarah McGrath

In the land of kiwi birds, kiwi fruit, and Middle Earth, drum n bass is alive and kicking. I recently had the opportunity to visit this wonderful country and let me tell you, the vibe that emanates in the clubs is something that is always to be remembered. Throughout the capital city of Wellington, drum n bass can be heard in everyday locations ranging from grocery stores to the Green Cab taxis. However, this is not exclusive to Wellington as the sounds of Kiwi drum n bass can be found from Auckland to the streets of Christchurch in the south island.

Drum n bass is deeply rooted here; reaching past the confines of city streets and civilization. Each New Years, thousands of bass-heads gather in the bush of Nelson on the south island where the largest drum n bass acts from around the world congregate for an epic three day drum n bass massive known as PHAT. This years attendees have the opportunity to ring in the new years to the sounds of Hype & Daddy Earl (UK), Black Sun Empire (NL), Spor (UK), Digital Mystikz (UK), and Bad Company (UK) with many more headliners to be announced as well as support from locals.

Clubs around Wellington, Christchurch, and Auckland also play host to a myriad of drum n bass events ranging from weekly dnb residencies to tour stops for internationals such as Phace, London Electricity, Limewax, and Evol Intent. You can literally go club hopping in Wellington and hear different subgenres of drum n bass / jungle in different clubs. In my two weeks in New Zealand, I saw more posters for drum n bass tour stops than for any other genre which reinforces my belief that New Zealand is the new Bristol as the drum n bass Mecca.

Although DnB is flourishing in the major cities, junglist soldiers in the remote towns are busy spreading the sound. In the quiet dairy farming town of Hamilton in the Waikato, a group of producers and DJs known as The Collective consisting of Evade, Dold, Kaon, Tronic, and the live dub-step duo Aum, have transformed Flow, a local club, into a drum n bass haven with a Thursday night weekly known as Momentum as well as hosting proper weekend gigs with NZ headliners such as State of Mind and The Upbeats, who have been rumored to favor Flow above all other NZ venues. Although Momentum is still building a steady following, the State of Mind event at Flow, with support from The Collective, packed the venue literally wall to wall with a line extending into the street.

New Zealand is home to many established drum n bass producers such as Bulletproof and Concord Dawn. Not only does NZ harbor these most wanted bass-fugitives, but is also the birthplace of up and comer Nasty G, who's latest release Quench on Ammunition Recordings hit the top 10 on the Dogs on Acid chart.

Kiwi dnb would not be done any justice without mention of Kiwi dubstep which, in its own right, is as stellar as the drum n bass production that comes out of the island nation. With names like Truth and Sick Cycle popping up, being some of the worlds premiere dub-step and dnb providers, it is obvious that kiwis love their dubstep and are dedicated to bring out nothing but the best.

One thing that is very different than the States is government support of the Arts. In the US, some of the earliest budget cuts will usually affect art and education, but in the Noiseeland, the arts are nurtured and encouraged. According to Jason Cook (aka Jacey) from For The Music promotions out of Auckland, New Zealand government has services such as grants, music videos, and production assistance for proven Kiwi artists. But don't plan on moving out there thinking you're going to get those programs right off the bat as you need to be a resident / citizen to qualify; which takes two years.

With its EDM history rooted deep within the drum n bass scene, New Zealand is and always has been a supportive environment for burgeouning producers, promoters, DJs, and MCs. From the sheer amounts of untarnished, hi quality graffiti, to the international caliber production from local artists, to government support of their endevors, it is obvious that NZ has had an impact on the world wide drum n bass massive and will continue to do so for generations to come. Much love and respect.

-Wil Dumaop aka Damien

Nice article, agree with it mostly.

This bit however:

According to Jason Cook (aka Jacey) from For The Music promotions out of Auckland, New Zealand government has services such as grants, music videos, and production assistance for proven Kiwi artists

Does anyone know anyone who has got government assistance to make anything drum and bass/dubstep related? Sounds pretty fanciful to me. The truth is if you get into the scene you're pretty much on your own, dont expect much support from anyone especially the government lol. A lot of Auckland Dj's dont even get paid to do a set ffs!

The Concord Dawns/SOMs of this country definitely get video grants, or have done. Trei just got one for his new video I think.

As for the article, not bad but not very well researched, and no offence to Sick Cycle but comparing him with Truth is a bit of pisstake.

The Concord Dawns/SOMs of this country definitely get video grants, or have done. Trei just got one for his new video I think

Ah ok, i stand corrected, definitely think that article creates the impression they give em out willy nilly though

production assistance for proven Kiwi artists

Government sound engineers that come to your house/studio, have buckies/beers and give you tips on the mixdown...

Lol, maybe he (the author) means the dole..

New Zealand is home to many established drum n bass producers such as Bulletproof and Concord Dawn. Not only does NZ harbor these most wanted bass-fugitives, but is also the birthplace of up and comer Nasty G, who's latest release Quench on Ammunition Recordings hit the top 10 on the Dogs on Acid chart.

not to mention; dose, trei, menace, teknik and cern while we're naming nz rude bwoyz

not to mention; dose, trei, menace, teknik and cern while we're naming nz rude bwoyz

word

no offence to Sick Cycle but comparing him with Truth is a bit of pisstake.

Sick Cycle is def up there with Truth, bonus points for originality too, they have their own unique style and make everything from lush ambient downbeat to dark nasty filth <3

Nasty G also really underrated, dude is a pretty damn good producer and deserves more recognition

Sick Cycle is def up there with Truth, bonus points for originality too, they have their own unique style and make everything from lush ambient downbeat to dark nasty filth <3

Nasty G also really underrated, dude is a pretty damn good producer and deserves more recognition

Not doubting that they're good producers. Just sayin, Truth being signed to Deep Medi, and Skreams label alongside others is a massive achievement.. Also Optimus Gryme - sell-out tours nationwide of his new album, pretty untouchable

The points there though.. NZ still over-represents itself on the production tip, and it sounds like plenty more are about to crack it

yeah there's shitload of good dubstep producers in Nz, just off the top of my head: Oogun, Joint Forces, Jackal and Chesire, Pvans, Sick Cycle, Evil, Undertow, Future One and probably more i'm not aware of, as well as a host of up and comers such as Vex, Lque, Jayji, myself, Epyon, Zeb, Fakwi, Lowquid and more. Scenes deffo healthy.

Not doubting that they're good producers. Just sayin, Truth being signed to Deep Medi, and Skreams label alongside others is a massive achievement.. Also Optimus Gryme - sell-out tours nationwide of his new album, pretty untouchable

The points there though.. NZ still over-represents itself on the production tip, and it sounds like plenty more are about to crack it

Yeah Optimus Gryme is wicked, love his sound & his set with BF was one of the highlights of Phat09 for me!