Rate your ISP

perceptualChaos

I'm currently with xnet, and it used to be absolutely awesome but recently it's turned to shit... to the point where my internet has become unusable every evening during peak times and I'm looking to switch ISPs. Presumably they have just taken on more customers than they have capacity for. National traffic is OK and I get pretty good speeds, however international speeds are terrible - and streaming video is out of the question.

So what ISPs are you guys currently using and how highly do you rate them?

Xnet is all good when it's off peak but during on peak it's less than 1Mbit so I have to say I rate them about 4/10

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently with xnet, and it used to be absolutely awesome but recently it's turned to shit... to the point where my internet has become unusable every evening during peak times and I'm looking to switch ISPs. Presumably they have just taken on more customers than they have capacity for. National traffic is OK and I get pretty good speeds, however international speeds are terrible - and streaming video is out of the question.

So what ISPs are you guys currently using and how highly do you rate them?

Xnet is all good when it's off peak but during on peak it's less than 1Mbit so I have to say I rate them about 4/10

Same here man! Ive been using xnet the last 4 or 5 months and it had been great until about a month ago it has completely fucked out. Their customer service dont seem to give a shit and my net is going just a tad faster than 56k most the time. Going to be doing the switch soon to ADSL2 hopefully...

Used to use xnet and found the same thing, offpeak mint, onpeak rubbish.

Flatmates with telecom at th mo, speed seems to be fine, although we received a 690$ internet bill , every gig you go over is 20$, fukin joke.. They gave us 3months free internet for that fukup, making the switch once thats used up. Cunts.

with vodafone. been pretty good so far, connection has dropped every now and then in the evenings and the wireless router aint the best but quite happy with it so far. For 20GB it worked out $10 cheaper than the competitors (with foneline also and this was 3 months ago) but i guess thats because you dont really get any customer support.. heh.

7/10

with vodafone. been pretty good so far, connection has dropped every now and then in the evenings and the wireless router aint the best but quite happy with it so far. For 20GB it worked out $10 cheaper than the competitors (with foneline also and this was 3 months ago) but i guess thats because you dont really get any customer support.. heh.

7/10

Voda shape like a bitch. Wouldn't recommend if you're using more than poultry (lol) amounts of data.

Im with woosh (wired).

Great speeds, few disconnections, but im paying $50 a month for only 10 gig of data.

Have not checked other isp's deals for ages but i know i could get an extra 5 gig from telecom for the same price (and word from gameplanet forums is telecom is the best).

There is a NZ ISP wiki somewhere but can't find it.

Telecom has pretty shitty customer services... I made an enquiry about their website hosting service once and it took a few weeks for them to get back to me. Anyone had a good experience with Telecom customer support?

It looks to me like Orcon has the best service... they have good prices on their ADSL2+ network (which is most of Auckland) with the add on packs, and have all their own brand new equipment at the exchanges. Their home phoneline looks really good as well, they're offering mad deals on calling rates so I think they must be doing some kind of VoIP switching at the exchange for tolls. I filled out a form online to make the change to Orcon last night so we'll see how that goes.

I'll be pretty sad to see Xnet go tbh... they're been excellent up until recently and have treated us well - but it looks like they simply can't handle all the customers they've taken on. Presumably because of their "torrent" plan.

im with slingshot.

They seem relatively decent.

Currently im on a plan called Fire 1:

Full Speed down / 128k up / 15gigs per month = $49.95

The good thing about slingshot is that you get free data between 1am and 7am, so i can just set my torrent scheduler to go between those hours and then i just use the 15gigs for surfing during the day / evening and dont waste it on torrents.

i regularly use around 30-40gigs of off peak (free) data per month with no problems.

The speed isnt that great always to be honest. like, right now i just did a speed test and i only got 1.30Mbps even though my router is connected to the exchange at 5.5Mbps.

However, a speed test to the states also reads at 1.30Mbps which isnt too bad really. I find that i may have to leave a youtube video to buffer for a couple seconds before i can just let it stream during peak times, but its far better than virtually having dial up speeds as ive experienced with some other ISPs.

they have some pretty appealing ADSL 2 plans aswell even though you have to have your phone line with them and im unsure of their toll rates.

like, you can get 25gigs of ADSL2 with the free data over night, + home line for $89.95 which ends up being cheaper than what im currently paying for my homeline and my 15gigs of ADSL1..

However, ill leave you to draw your own conclusions about whether an ISP who cant deliver me the full 5.5Mbps of ADSL 1 that im connected to my exchange at, will actually be able to deliver any better speed than that on ADSL2. I guess it depends where the data bottleneck is occuring.. But imo, i could connect to the exchange at 300Mbps for all it matters, if i can only get 1.3Mbps from the ISP, then its like trying to suck a football through a funnel with the fat end attached to my face.

Turns out I can't even get an account with Orcon...

I went overseas last year after I moved house and forgot to pay the outstanding xnet and telecom bills from the old house before I went away. Paid as soon as I got back, but now I have a bad credit history for the next 5 years and Orcon don't take on customers who have anything on their credit history. No negotiation apparently.

They didn't even bother to tell me that I got declined, so to find out I had to call them up and get this information myself (after waiting on hold for 10 minutes). Then they sent me on this fucking wild goose chase to talk to Baycorp/Veda and back to them several times, then they finally told me today that it's just their policy and I can't have an account with them. On top of it being a stupid policy to decline a customer on such a small amount of money which got paid pretty quickly, they handled everything extremely badly so I'm pretty unimpressed with them on the whole.

Telecom have a 12month min contract, and $20/GB above the data cap is just ridiculous as well... so looks like I'm gonna be stuck with xnet.

Well I don't think I have anything good to say about any of the ISPs, but I guess go with Orcon Dold. Or maybe Vodafone... but you have to pay $99 connection fee with them.

In terms of wireless, I used to be with wired country who were pretty awesome at the time. Compass owns them now and are offering reasonable plans. I'd probably only go for wireless if you can't get ADSL though.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeh, but "reduced speed" plans, who knows to what extreme thatll go. We getting 800kb downloads in albany hills on telescum, its lightening fast all the time, although uploads are only @ .8 megabit.