Another Random Topic.

Sect

good article...

imo Aucks is useful for many things... but living here perminantly is not one of them. Money+Mates+Music are plus's... but personally I've intended to get da fuck outta here for a long time. The longer I live here in my box apartment and my 9-5 desk job and the chaos which is over a million Aucklanders, the more I appriciate getting away from it.

If I have things my way... I'll be workin from home most of the time where-ever I want... can't fuckin wait. God Bless I.T.

Yeah I remember reading the initial proposal for this project a few months ago, think it was in that City Scene paper we get in the Lizzle. Definitely could do better with that section of harbour than we do at the moment, and it's true, Auckland has very little sense of togetherness or greater community. I think this is mainly due to our general lack of public transport. This decreases the need for public gathering places, and means people shield themselves off from others by driving to work in their own little bubble, missing out on all the opportunities of meeting people who they live or work nearby through travelling together every day.

I dunno, there's lots wrong with our city but there is also heaps I like about it. My favourite is driving over the harbour bridge heading north to get to work every day and every and every once in a while being treated to one of the best views I've ever seen, (and I've seen plenty)...

And hey, at least it's not Gore!

Good article. I'd love to see it cleaned up. I'm the type of guy that gets really excited when I see construction sites go up, although I do get really, really pissed off with the lack of protection of our historic buildings. I've taken a solid interest in town planning / development and kinda regret not taking it up at uni. Auckz is notorious the world over for really poorly planned ideas on it's infrastructure.

But I dunno, even though there's heaps wrong with this city.. it's my home ya know.. I can't help but love it. The traffic jamz, the cracks in the pavement, the unsafe areas, the local derelicts that you almost know by name (or at least by suburb).. it's all just part of who I am, and no matter how fucked up it gets, it'll always be a part of me, and it will always be my hood.

But unless Aucklanders speak out, the vision may be limited by the desire to make a profit out of the development in order to pay for regional transport and infrastructure projects. Nowhere is this more obvious than in the number of apartments planned.

Apartments can actually enhance a development if kept in proportion: cafes, shops and galleries need a bustling atmosphere. But the open space at the end of the wharf – a mound echoing the city’s volcanoes has been suggested – simply cannot be allowed to be the exclusive playground of wealthy residents.

too many of those seaside yuppy hotspots around.. viaduct, taka, tamaki drive, theyre trying to take over waiheke with some success also.. yeh i dont like the bourgeois ruling class much.. snobs

i find aucks, land of snobs a hassle too, its good if u just want to cruise along but not much really happening and cost of living is just too close to average income but thats a economic issue i guess, yeh its still my home town too,, hmmm..

too many of those seaside yuppy hotspots around.. viaduct, taka, tamaki drive, theyre trying to take over waiheke with some success also.. yeh i dont like the bourgeois ruling class much.. snobs

Yeah totally man, I feel like Patrick Bateman most of the time aye.. it's easy to avoid that side of AK though.. Just stay outta Parnell and the Viaduct, and retreat in the Uptown, the Midtown, the Downtown, the Lizzle, the Eden, the Land of Kings, the Burbs, the Westsyde etc.. there's plenty of culture underneath the surface here but its all in the pockets, if you want an all-over vibrant community feel there's always Melbz over the ditch and Welly just north of the Strait.. both have more of an 'alternative' feel.. but where there's pros there's cons.. tough call really, interesting to see where things are at in 5-10 years time.

Yeah IMO that article is pretty bang on.

Heres my position.. Now I was born here in the land of the hunters corner in the late 70's so yes auckland is my home, However I have been privalaged to live all over this fine nation of ours.

I have seen all manners and types of the New Zealand Condition and have many times documented my subjective socilogical frameworks in face to face and formal arguments.

Auckland to me is the fucking shit! , dont get me wrong , But in line with the suppositions of the article that we are debating "there is a great glaring gap: there is no truly defining heart to the place....there’s still something missing.. congested,{and} dysfunctional ..{with its}.. new apartment blocks {that are} beyond awful..entombing {the central city populace into }a bleak moodiness.."http://www.listener.co.nz/issue/3436/columnists/5637/have_a_heart.html .

I would absoultely agree.

The culture here although banging and thriving, also makes me wanna vomit..

The clicky-ness of it all , the rotten indervidualism, the coolness of it all.

Why do we have to grin and bare these idioms?

take any other city in New Zealand. There is a great sense of collective growth a vibrant collective energy that envelops you as walk into it... But not here, The creative scene is a vaspious self loathing fringe that dictates and rules whilst people at the bottem or in the middle have to grin and bear their totalitarian dominence.

Thats what sets auckland apart in my eyes. and this saddens me, I mean we have the creative community to smash shit, to tear down the old guard (the baby boomers) but here In auckland everyone seems to be preoccupied with their own wants, and in effect this creates this intelligentsia class that rules the roost and lets the others have nothing except for their scraps.

Take wellington... look at the scene there its welcoming and warm and ready for any new blood give or take. even christchurch even hamilton .. but not auckland,

I love newton city, to me its my cultural homeland.. I just think it could be way better,

and how that could be achived is just by being freindly and seeing that "one man cant change shit but 10 men can"

remember its our turn at the wheel next , and by the wheel I mean, the wheel of the ship that is Auckland, that is New Zealand, and the sooner we start working together the sooner we can purge the baby boomers or the old guard and make OUR city OUR country a great fucking place...

phew end rant

Yeah IMO that article is pretty bang on.

Heres my position.. Now I was born here in the land of the hunters corner in the late 70's so yes auckland is my home, However I have been privalaged to live all over this fine nation of ours.

I have seen all manners and types of the New Zealand Condition and have many times documented my subjective socilogical frameworks in face to face and formal arguments.

Auckland to me is the fucking shit! , dont get me wrong , But in line with the suppositions of the article that we are debating "there is a great glaring gap: there is no truly defining heart to the place....there’s still something missing.. congested,{and} dysfunctional ..{with its}.. new apartment blocks {that are} beyond awful..entombing {the central city populace into }a bleak moodiness.."http://www.listener.co.nz/issue/3436/columnists/5637/have_a_heart.html .

I would absoultely agree.

The culture here although banging and thriving, also makes me wanna vomit..

The clicky-ness of it all , the rotten indervidualism, the coolness of it all.

Why do we have to grin and bare these idioms?

take any other city in New Zealand. There is a great sense of collective growth a vibrant collective energy that envelops you as walk into it... But not here, The creative scene is a vaspious self loathing fringe that dictates and rules whilst people at the bottem or in the middle have to grin and bear their totalitarian dominence.

Thats what sets auckland apart in my eyes. and this saddens me, I mean we have the creative community to smash shit, to tear down the old guard (the baby boomers) but here In auckland everyone seems to be preoccupied with their own wants, and in effect this creates this intelligentsia class that rules the roost and lets the others have nothing except for their scraps.

Take wellington... look at the scene there its welcoming and warm and ready for any new blood give or take. even christchurch even hamilton .. but not auckland,

I love newton city, to me its my cultural homeland.. I just think it could be way better,

and how that could be achived is just by being freindly and seeing that "one man cant change shit but 10 men can"

remember its our turn at the wheel next , and by the wheel I mean, the wheel of the ship that is Auckland, that is New Zealand, and the sooner we start working together the sooner we can purge the baby boomers or the old guard and make OUR city OUR country a great fucking place...

phew end rant

phat rant - props