Weird Requests

Subverse

I don't know if this has been done before, had a quick search and couldn't find anything so thought id revive it:

Barring requests for basshunter, whats some of the funniest shit you've been asked to play / asked while mixing?

What made me think of this - was mixing at a party on the weekend with my mate and while I was off the decks got cornered by an epicly munted guy who insisted on telling me how high up he was in the trance music scene..

He went on for a few minutes about how diverse and interesting it was and how he'd been a big player for the last 5 years; and could i please play a tune for him that he reknd would fit right into the set.

Midst neuro rollout im a bit sceptical, and then he busts it out..

"bro could you chuck sandstorm on?"

I nearly fell over laughing sandstorm! ahaha

Feel free to share!

most epic lol for me was when i was MC'ing while Nato was spinning at viper club back in the day at one of those underage dnb gigs that kris threw. Its an all DNB party and this little girly comes up to me and asks if we could chuck on some Britney Spears.

i burst out laughing in her face coz i thought she was taking the piss, and then realized way too late that she was serious and almost crying she grabbed her girlfriends and stormed outta the club.

I have had a few funny ones, but my best one so far was this wasted irish guy. He stood right at the edge of the tables watching most of my set. Then right near the end he gurned his way up to the decks and requested.

"ey lad can yooou play that song the one thast goes like.......uuummm......eeeerrrrr.....*silence* well it goes goes whoop whoop brang brang kish"

I had a hard time carrying on mixing I was laughing so hard. His accent and general muntedness was gold.

ive had so many of these i dont even know where to begin but one that stands out was at a friends house party and some girls were dancing in front of me for about an hour and then asked if i could play something they could dance to....

@ perceptualchaos - hahaha nah man i did a faux check of my laptop; then "nah bro sorry ay musta got deleted off my harddrive when i got rid of my shit music"

he spat the dummy, called me a shit dj, rekond i didnt know my music and stormed out of the room haha

yup I even have had some requests ..

and you may be thinking "but wait he is a vj?"...

and yes that is true... but still.

At a recent gig when the djs were happily smashing some "evvy weight dubstep" I had a gurl rock up in to the booth at fu and walk right passed the dj and ask me to play some dubstep. When I rudely reminded her that I was 1) not a dj and 2) that this choon! this one playing right now! is infact a dubstep choon..she retorted "no its not, its not caspa"

sigh

Edited by Guest

I have had a few funny ones, but my best one so far was this wasted irish guy. He stood right at the edge of the tables watching most of my set. Then right near the end he gurned his way up to the decks and requested.

"ey lad can yooou play that song the one thast goes like.......uuummm......eeeerrrrr.....*silence* well it goes goes whoop whoop brang brang kish"

I had a hard time carrying on mixing I was laughing so hard. His accent and general muntedness was gold.

im pretty sure that guy was in Bath street once. We figured out the song he wanted was "Printer Jam" lol

Edited by Guest

Best one I had was a series of fails from the same dude at a flat warming in dunno's.

I was playing a hip hop set, had been for an hour and a half when he rolls up and asks for Brown Eyed Girl. I explain that I'm just playing a hip hop set as the hosts had asked. He then boldly stated that 'no-one likes hip hop' I pointed out that the 50 plus people dancing in the lounge plus the hosts would beg to differ. He quietly sulked off and I thought that was the end of that.

He then returns a few tunes later and says 'can you play some Black Eyed Peas? They're Hip Hop right?' He can see the grimace on my face so before I can think of something smart arsed to say he spits out 'don't you like the Black Eyed Peas either?' to which I replied 'I liked their first two albums but from what I've heard so far Elephunk is a piece of garbage and that crack whore ruined the band' (this was ages ago so, back when bep had only committed the one crime against music, well technically each tune is a crime but you know what I mean)

I was about done with this dude when he glazed over and spat out 'I didn't know they had two other albums' I think I just told him to excuse me as I have to go pick out tunes that aren't shit.

If only that's where his failing had ended. Despite stating my resentment for the most recent bep album he approached a few tunes later rather sheepishly but most pleased that he had scoured the land and found a Elephunk cd.

At this point I should note that I was operating with two turntables and an amp, even if I wished to kill the vibe of the party and stop the music to use the cd draw of a mini system, I couldn't.

I still had to point out at rather painful lengths the obvious format restrictions we where under.

Edited by Guest

Ha ha what cracks me up is the fact he originally says no one likes hip hop then goes to the trouble of scouring the party to find a hip hop cd. And a pretty shit one at that. He must be a closet hip hop lover or something either that or he doesnt care what the music is as long as he can be right. Ha ha epic fail!

serato is so commonplace nowadays in hiphop/rnb clubs now, the punters think every dj in th world takes every track from every artist there ever was to every party. they cant comprehend that if u turn up to play a dnb set, theres only so many vinyl you can bring.

Back in New Plymouth a few years ago, I remember two particular requests by two different ladies on the same night, roughly 30mins apart.

1) Got any Beyonce?

2) Got any Cannibal Corpse?

I generally try and play a varied set, but on this occasion I failed to have any of the above on wax.

There was disappointment in their faces, but not on mine. Loved it.

I don't really do requests. Even from hot girls.

I have a great list of excuses too. My personal favourite was gifted to me from Teknik and is just 'Oh I just played a new remix of it/theirs a couple of tunes ago, it's pretty banging ay!'

Cue bewildered looking punter.

That said, I do like heckling DJs into playing Wu Tang.

I don't really do requests. Even from hot girls.

I have a great list of excuses too. My personal favourite was gifted to me from Teknik and is just 'Oh I just played a new remix of it/theirs a couple of tunes ago, it's pretty banging ay!'

Cue bewildered looking punter.

That said, I do like heckling DJs into playing Wu Tang.

It works every time .. I was shown this method by Solidstate originally, he's been in the game so long that he has a trick for pretty much anything a random punter can throw at you. Respect!

• 4 weeks later...

At a mates house party: Play some Pendulum ..whilst Slam was playing...

@ Carpark 3 weeks ago: Play some Dizzee Rascal, So I did, albeit some of his more niche stuff, guy came back, "Oi told you to play dizzee rascal", Replied "I am", He said no this isnt Bonkers....

Best one has to be a wanna be bogan coming up to me at a mates flat warming, asking to play some Metal. Dropped some Morbid Angel out of some Calyx track. He hated it, but was wearing one of their shirts!