Windows Vista - Wireless Encryption Question

Grind

I'm house-sitting for my olds and using their laptop to connect to the internet right now.. but I want to connect my own laptop.

Thing is I don't know the password and can't get hold of them, and when I go to the Network Connection properties to try to copy the password (it's only showing as *********) it clears everything instantly so I can't copy it/see what it is.

Is there any way of accessing/viewing what the password is?

Security type is WPA-Personal TKIP.

Try resetting the router (not pulling the power out, finding the little tiny button and pushing it with a pen).

warning, this will totally sh*g any security type settings/setup they've used for the router...happened at a house i was at once, had no idea how to fix it...i think Catalyst fixed it actually

You can crack into it, however WAP is a bit harder than WEP...

WPA is an encryption algorithm that takes care of a lot of the vunerablities inherent in WEP. WEP is, by design, flawed. No matter how good or crappy, long or short, your WEP key is, it can be cracked. WPA is different. A WPA key can be made good enough to make cracking it unfeasible. WPA is also a little more cracker friendly. By capturing the right type of packets, you can do your cracking offline. This means you only have to be near the AP for a matter of seconds to get what you need

Totally doable though...

http://docs.lucidinteractive.ca/index.php/Cracking_WEP_and_WPA_Wireless_Networks

Read the section called WPA Crackin and then download this application...

aircrack-ng 1.0

Option 1. Brute Force Attack. basically you download a giant txt file of possible passwords and leave your laptop running attempting to connect... will take hours to run through them all and it may not work.

Option 2. ARP Injection. basically you configure your laptop to listen for the access point communicating with another client which has already authenticated and it will spoof itself as that client and work out the key.

You shouldn't need the other options... one of the above will work 90% of the time. I would try option 2... it sounds easier

Easy enough to re-add imo.

If I was house sitting, I wouldn't do that

Somehow I don't think his parents will disown him it he writes a note that says your new WAP key is...

Oh hold up... I remembered something... it's much easier just to retrieve the password from windows... which it sounds like what you were asking for to begin with... doh

Windows XP: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html

Windows Vista: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/network_password_recovery.html

Totally forgot about this too.