Surveillance bill goes too far, committee told

EuphoricMilk

For those of you who might not be aware I'm just going to put this out here, shit like this gives me the mad chills.

Lawyers and human rights advocates have spoken out against a government bill giving police and other law enforcement agencies greater search and surveillance powers.

Parliament's justice and electoral select committee is considering the Search and Surveillance Bill which is based on a 2007 Law Commission report.

The committee today heard more than a dozen submissions from organisations including the Human Rights Commission, Law Society, Police and Aotearoa Legalise Cannabis Party.

Many submissions objected to the increased search and surveillance powers for government agencies, other than police, who have law enforcement responsibilities. These would include agencies such as the Fisheries Ministry.

The increased powers included the ability to hack into computers to retrieve information and compel people to answer questions.

Search and surveillance were "significant" powers that needed to be balanced and the committee should consider whether some agencies needed such powers, Human Rights Commission spokeswoman Sylvia Bell said.

The community had "considerable trust and respect" for police but that would not translate to other agencies, she said.

"Most of these other agencies the community as a whole would not be aware of."

Ralph Simpson, of law firm Bell Gully, said the agencies were not equipped or qualified to carry out surveillance.

It raised concerns about the circumstances in which the powers would be used and "eroded the right to be free from unreasonable search and seizure", he said.

New Zealand Law Society spokesman Andy Nicholls said the bill was an unnecessary standardisation of power.

"This bill wasn't driven by a groundswell of concern that agencies didn't have enough power," he said.

A "one size fits all" approach would not work, he said.

Police Association vice-president Chris Chaiall said he had not "closely studied" the effects of widespread search and surveillance powers but overseas examples showed it "normally doesn't work".

"It makes sense to me to have clear areas, and duplication usually doesn't help," he said.

Police had well-established (search and surveillance) systems that other organisations lacked, he said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/2991461/Surveillance-bill-goes-too-far-committee-told

to all those who voted for right wing parties @ the last election......thanks....

Pretty sure this has cross party support from Labour & Nats.

Scary as shit though.

Act, Greens and Maori will vote against it, I'm guessing Labour and Nats will vote for.

to all those who voted for right wing parties @ the last election......thanks....

You're welcome.

There is no such thing as "right wing" in NZ... the only difference between Labour and National is the colours of their logos.

next they'll be aiming to scape our MMP parliment and take full control.

not to mention banning the sale of vitamins and supplements over the counter...

Oh, wait.

see, Codex Alimentarius. It goes back a few hundred years, but is evidently being implemented a bit more seriously in western society these days.

This is the official website;

http://www.codexalimentarius.net

seems unrelated to the surveillance bill right now but give it a few years.

you may not like being so under surveillance if it becomes illegal to produce your own natural medicines, or any food which is deemed to contain known and regulated substances.

According to John Hammell, a legislative advocate and the founder of International Advocates for Health Freedom (IAHF), here is what we have to look forward to:

"If Codex Alimentarius has its way, then herbs, vitamins, minerals, homeopathic remedies, amino acids and other natural remedies you have taken for granted most of your life will be gone. The name of the game for Codex Alimentarius is to shift all remedies into the prescription category so they can be controlled exclusively by the medical monopoly and its bosses, the major pharmaceutical firms. Predictably, this scenario has been denied by both the Canadian Health Food Association and the Health Protection Branch of Canada (HPB).

The Codex Alimentarius proposals already exist as law in Norway and Germany where the entire health food industry has literally been taken over by the drug companies. In these countries, vitamin C above 200 mg is illegal as is vitamin E above 45 IU, vitamin B1 over 2.4 mg and so on. Shering-Plough, the Norway pharmaceutical giant, now controls an Echinacea tincture, which is being sold there as an over the counter drug at grossly inflated prices. The same is true of ginkgo and many other herbs, and only one government controlled pharmacy has the right to import supplements as medicines which they can sell to health food stores, convenience stores or pharmacies."

It is now a criminal offence in parts of Europe to sell herbs as foods. An agreement called EEC6565 equates selling herbs as foods to selling other illegal drugs. Action is being taken to accelerate other European countries into 'harmonization' as well.

linkhttp://www.natural-health-information-centre.com/codex-alimentarius.html

see, Codex Alimentarius. It goes back a few hundred years, but is evidently being implemented a bit more seriously in western society these days.

This is the official website;

http://www.codexalimentarius.net

seems unrelated to the surveillance bill right now but give it a few years.

you may not like being so under surveillance if it becomes illegal to produce your own natural medicines, or any food which is deemed to contain known and regulated substances.

According to John Hammell, a legislative advocate and the founder of International Advocates for Health Freedom (IAHF), here is what we have to look forward to:

"If Codex Alimentarius has its way, then herbs, vitamins, minerals, homeopathic remedies, amino acids and other natural remedies you have taken for granted most of your life will be gone. The name of the game for Codex Alimentarius is to shift all remedies into the prescription category so they can be controlled exclusively by the medical monopoly and its bosses, the major pharmaceutical firms. Predictably, this scenario has been denied by both the Canadian Health Food Association and the Health Protection Branch of Canada (HPB).

The Codex Alimentarius proposals already exist as law in Norway and Germany where the entire health food industry has literally been taken over by the drug companies. In these countries, vitamin C above 200 mg is illegal as is vitamin E above 45 IU, vitamin B1 over 2.4 mg and so on. Shering-Plough, the Norway pharmaceutical giant, now controls an Echinacea tincture, which is being sold there as an over the counter drug at grossly inflated prices. The same is true of ginkgo and many other herbs, and only one government controlled pharmacy has the right to import supplements as medicines which they can sell to health food stores, convenience stores or pharmacies."

It is now a criminal offence in parts of Europe to sell herbs as foods. An agreement called EEC6565 equates selling herbs as foods to selling other illegal drugs. Action is being taken to accelerate other European countries into 'harmonization' as well.

linkhttp://www.natural-health-information-centre.com/codex-alimentarius.html

lol.

next they'll be aiming to scape our MMP parliment and take full control.

not to mention banning the sale of vitamins and supplements over the counter...

Oh, wait.

You're not talking about that reported released by Auckland University are you?

Didn't you say you studied at AU? The only way these two events could possibly be linked is if the New Zealand government somehow covertly infiltrated the faculty of health in one of our most reputable educational institutions and made a bogus report, or pressured the head of the department to say something. You can't seriously fucking believe that can you?

I hang my political views healthy out the left side (cue snoop dog saying yeah that's the west side) but it's simply mindbogglingly nutty to presume our government is cahoots with a shadowy international oligarchy of pharmaceutical suppliers. Do you even know what Pharmac is? We have the most communist (for better, or for worse) public health system in the western world.

The reason there are moves to regulate health supplements is because they're not controlled in anywhere near the same amount of scrutiny as food or medicine. Not because the lizzardmendem know that vitamin C will stop your brain oscillating at 8.5Hz or whatever other bullshit you spew with a passion.

wow, i have never once mentioned "lizzardmen" but you keep referring to that as a rebuttal for anything i bother to share on these forums. I only write what I read bro...

And NO, I was not referring to the report released by UoA. I was referring to a WTO agenda called Codex Alimentarius.(maybe you should bother to actually READ the information i link to)

As for thinking our government is in cahoots with Pharmac, CIBA, or any of the other multi-nationals, no, I don't.

The whole thing with regulating supplements has already been taken a step towards ensuring Codex happens, a few years ago, when we signed with Australia to let our vits/supps/homeopathy etc be regulated by THEIR laws.

anyway, to address your constant attacks on my opinions and viewpoints;

My earlier references were to the fact that slowly, yet surely, our rights and sovereignty are being taken away from us, in the form of cotton wool laws, and regulations which can only serve to limit our freedoms.

The surveillance bill being proposed is only one of the issues I see as worthy of noticing, yet people remain willing to swallow the satus quo and stay asleep to what is going on in the world today.

Like I have said previously, I do NOT think there is a global conspiracy happening. But I am aware of things happening around our globe, both politically and scientifically based, which have the potential to detrimentally affect our ability to sustain life and free will on this planet we share.

If you disagree, there is nothing I can do to change your perspective, but slowly over the next few decades you will see our society change, for better or worse is a matter of perspective, but you should beleive that we, all of us have the power of voice to effect the change WE want.

Edited by Guest

at above ^^

Why would they make it illegal for vitamin C to be sold in over 200mg caps? and all the herbs n shit?

Im gona take a wild stab and say its all about making money?

isn't evry thing about makin money?

the official line is that we as mere citizens cannot be trusted to self regulate our own dosages of supplements/medicines, and need to be controlled in what we can or cannot buy.

So, say you are found to be malnurished by your doc, and in need of some vitamins outside a regular diet, the therapy would be much as it is now for any ailment, off to the chemist for your script of custom multivits.

you can bet they will a tad more expensive than ten dollars for a months supply though.