Beenie Man at BDO

C Steppa

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=172036017414&ref=nf#/group.php?gid=172036017414&ref=nf

Seems likes there is some outrage on this. Thoughts? If you ask me its kinda pathetic. Absolutley nothing against the Gay and Lesbian community but let him play. Marilyn Manson was allowed to play even though he is "The AntiChrist" and its simply another case of if ya dont like it dont go watch it. No doubt it will be on at the lilypad so it will pretty much only be fans watching him anyway.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading in a recent economist article about how homosexuals are treated in Jamaica. Absolutely disgusting.

Anybody saying that kind of shit should be told to fuck off back to the stone age.

NZ has always stood up for what we believed in - Springboks, Nuclear Weapons etc etc.

I was reading in a recent economist article about how homosexuals are treated in Jamaica. Absolutely disgusting.

Anybody saying that kind of shit should be told to fuck off back to the stone age.

NZ has always stood up for what we believed in - Springboks, Nuclear Weapons etc etc.

Same way as some women are treated is muslim cultures. We dont tell them to all fuck off. Its the rasta faith and old testament thinking.

Fuck the lyrics, bring on the riddims.

I've never heard the mans lyrics about slashing gays throats or anything.

But unless hes speaking in metaphores, or his words have been taken completely out of context, he can fuck right off. imo.

If I heard him speak that filth I'd probably throw my beer bottle straight to his groin.

But unless hes speaking in metaphores, or his words have been taken completely out of context, he can fuck right off. imo.

If I heard him speak that filth I'd probably throw my beer bottle straight to his groin.

There is some anti gay lyrics in there, like alot rastafarian musicians. As much as all the peace loving flower power hippies / meathead stoners wanna believe that Rasta is all about a chilled out lifestyle smoking herb and peace love and unity, its not, its based around the old testament. I'm just saying the majority of the audience wont know what hes saying and just there for a good ol skank. Rastafarian Patois is incredibly hard to understand when spoken by a rastaman. And i havent seen him promoting gay violence in rants while hes performing, there is the odd lyric in their that you wouldnt notice unless you took the time to go and read the lyrics sheet.

I had to wiki dat shit, but he has such inspiring peices such as

The lyrics to some of his songs have been criticized for inciting the murder of homosexuals, with lyrics such as, "I'm dreaming of a new Jamaica, come to execute all the gays"[17]. In "Mi Nah Wallah", he says he would like to cut the throats of all gay men.[18] In "Bad Man Chi Chi Man" the lyric instructs listeners to kill gay deejays, and in "Han Up Deh", the lyric suggests hanging lesbians with a long piece of rope.

Which he later apologised for, however it's still not cool.

The majority of this stems from the fact that the church has such a power over peoples lives in Jamaica, and that the populous is largely uneducated.

It's still a crime to engage in homosexual sex over their (what the law amusingly calls "The abominable crime of buggery"), and its not just a slap on the wrist either - you get 10 years hard labour for the above mentioned. Fly a LGBT flag etc. and you'll get "Gross Indecency" giving you 2 years in prison.

The Jamaican PM came out and said he wouldn't yield to foreign pressure to change the law and people are genuinely concerned about homosexuals infiltrating the police. Shits fucked up.

Yeah its a hard one, being that their society has such strong beliefs in those ideas. Hes jus a product of a lifetime of being taught bullshit.

The only way Jamaica will learn will be to have it's primary export embargoed - Dance hall and Reggae singers.

But srsly should be a sign of solidarity innit.

reeespeckt to dr and dold....... my sentiments exactly...

any form of hate speech should not be tolerated...and to condone it is like turing your back on a fire in a nursary , hundreds if not thousands of innocents will be hurt...

waits for replies so to get left on the argument

Well since Hamish and Mark have summed up the anti Beenie Man argument pretty well (which i agree with btw) I may as well play devils advocate:

The whole appeal of ragga, dancehall and Jamaican culture is its authenticity, and whether you agree with the sentiments expressed in the lyrics or not you cannot deny that they are a genuine expression of the Jamaican cultural zeitgeist. The choice is to either accept it warts and all or find a more watered down version of it that has been tailor made for Western cultural sensitivities (eg UB40, to a lesser extent Bob Marley). No one is forcing you to attend his set or agree with what he says.

Yo no see ah dead man dem

A duppy man dem

We inna nuttin wid dem

De fire haffi bun dem

Dem done condemn

A pure dead man dem

Dem done no like me

A mi done no like dem tell dem

Say me nah keep no funny man friend

Tell me say me nah keep no (edit) friend

Nah go stoop low me trod di rocky road dem

Da fire ya

It redder dan red

Yo no see ah dead man dem

A duppy man dem

We inna nuttin wid dem

De fire haffi bun dem

Dem done condemn

A pure dead man dem

Dem done no like me

A mi done no like dem tell dem

Say me nah keep no funny man friend

Tell me say me nah keep no (edit) friend

Nah go stoop low me trod di rocky road dem

Da fire ya

It redder dan red

Duppy Man lyrics FTL

Rhyming dem with dem FTL too btw

Well since Hamish and Mark have summed up the anti Beenie Man argument pretty well (which i agree with btw) I may as well play devils advocate:

The whole appeal of ragga, dancehall and Jamaican culture is its authenticity, and whether you agree with the sentiments expressed in the lyrics or not you cannot deny that they are a genuine expression of the Jamaican cultural zeitgeist. The choice is to either accept it warts and all or find a more watered down version of it that has been tailor made for Western cultural sensitivities (eg UB40, to a lesser extent Bob Marley). No one is forcing you to attend his set or agree with what he says.

truth... loves the devils advocate position....

Yep, Phil said it all, What I respect is the flow, vibe and rythym of the music and vocals in Dancehall, I couldn't care less what they are saying as it is pretty hard to understand some of the words anyway, This man would be my main motivation to go to the BDO, if any. Besides, all that homophobic shit is in old tunes, I'm pretty sure he learnt his lesson...

The Dancehall acts in the past, Lady saw and Luciano w/ Mikey General went off in the lilypad and it's definitely the vibe that the sound brings to the drunken pit is all that matters.