Beenie Man at BDO

C Steppa

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And like some pathetic cumfacebook group will have any impact on who plays at Big Day Out anyway.

hes now been pulled from the lineup, was a wee tiny report on the hearld website, bullshit imo, PC bullshit

Disregard.

IMO the fb group wasn't exactly what changed this - your original point still stands far as I'm concerned

well, the next logical step is to ban the burka i suppose...

*insert rant on the fear of things we do not understand and its (ir)relevance to the BDO here*

+1

Still playing devils advocate here obviously (Im bored)

The full niqab burka is a means of oppressing women by denying them their sexuality and freedom of expression. If we are against Beenie Man, who only used oppressive words (inspired by deeply held fundamentalist christian beliefs in Jamaica) rather than any physical form of intimidation, how can we ignore this, an actual physical artifact symbolic of a form of oppression our society doesn't tolerate. You can't be tolerant of one abhorrent cultural practice and then ban another merely because its less politically sensitive.

Edited by Guest

well, the next logical step is to ban the burka i suppose...

*insert rant on the fear of things we do not understand and its (ir)relevance to the BDO here*

+1

Still playing devils advocate here obviously (Im bored)

The full niqab burka is a means of oppressing women by denying them their sexuality and freedom of expression. If we are against Beenie Man, who only used oppressive words (inspired by deeply held fundamentalist christian beliefs in Jamaica) rather than any physical form of intimidation, how can we ignore this, an actual physical artifact symbolic of a form of oppression our society doesn't tolerate. You can't be tolerant of one abhorrent cultural practice and then ban another merely because its less politically sensitive.

I'm too busy to properly go into this right now, but fundamentally I think that nobody is born religiously indoctrinated, but people are born gay. At the end of the day you can stop believing in religion and it all goes away (obviously your veiled woman can't, the practicalities aren't there), but you can NEVER change the way you are inside. imo.

I'm too busy to properly go into this right now, but fundamentally I think that nobody is born religiously indoctrinated, but people are born gay. At the end of the day you can stop believing in religion and it all goes away (obviously your veiled woman can't, the practicalities aren't there), but you can NEVER change the way you are inside. imo.

This is a fair point, although you could also argue that you can't choose to be born a man or a woman, and the religiously inspired oppression of women is so severe in some countries it is right up there with the Jamaican treatment of gays. Sex change or stfu?

you can NEVER change the way you are inside. imo.

It's okay mate, let it out. You're amongst friends.

Ah the irony.

:itapmykneeinvitingly:

Get a room and get it over with you two

dont encourage them mike

Jealous imo. Fair enough too.

Beenie Man has written a letter to the BDO organisers expressing his disappointment at being taken off the lineup:

"People sometimes may misunderstand my lyrics because of slang, metaphors, jargons and dialect; it is not intended to be harmful," he said.

"We live in a diverse society, the haves, have-nots, Muslims, Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Atheists, light and dark skinned, homosexuals and heterosexuals. At times we wrongly ridicule each other for beliefs. One thing we have in common, we are all human beings and should strive for peace, equality and love.

"I want my music to bring people together and for them to dance, feel good and enjoy it."

He said his controversial songs - which include the lyrics, "I'm dreaming of a new Jamaica, come to execute all the gays" - were directed at men who exploited young boys, not homosexuals.

"I wrote the lyrics at a point in my life when I younger and was seeing a lot of exploitation of poor and defenseless young boys in the garrison - where I too was born - by rich men," he said in the email.

"When I wrote the lyrics boys were raped and murdered often - even recently a nine-year-old went to buy cigarettes for a man, came back and was raped and murdered. The act of sodomy was my concern when I wrote the song.

"I realize that those men were not gays but were predators or paedophile which is not a common word in my dialect hence the perception when generalising. I am older and realised the difference after."

Full article:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/big-day-out-2010/3072883/Beenie-Man-heartbroken-at-axing

everyone makes mistakes....give the dude a break i reckon.

he's signed the compassionate reggae thingy,apologised the world over,and promises not to perform the songs he recorded years ago as an impressionable youth.....chill out.

for the biggest party animals in the world the gay community sure know how to kill the buzz....