Internet connection problems

Dold

So I've just moved back home, and am having some trouble with our internet connection.

We have a wireless modem. When I connect to the net in the same room as the modem, the net works sweet as. But when I take my lappy into the next room, its constantly cutting out.

Is it most likely our modem is that shit, or most likely theres some sort of interference within the walls...

My old man reckons his cell phone coverage drops down to only one bar whens hes in this room also.

Ideas?

what about the other rooms in your house? is there anywhere else the same distance away from your modem as the room that your having issues with that you can test it from?

im thinking it could either be the signal is just piss weak and not making it very far, it could be the room that the modem is in is shielded in some way or it could be the room that your trying to use the lappy from is shielded in some way.

try troubleshoot those possibilities and see what you find.

so try a different room the same distance away and if you still get the same problem. if so, try moving the modem to a different room and then attempt receiving the signal from a similar distance to try test if its the room the modems in causing the problem.

if its not room specific and its just a signal strength issue you could try building one of these:

http://www.drumandbass.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5444

It's a long-shot, but is there a 2.4GHz cordless phone nearby? If so you could try turning it off and see if that helps

Yup there is one right next to it, do they interfare? I'll try when I get home tonight. Cheers guys.