Switched on Gardener got fucked

Nato

Cannabis is the most abused controlled drug in New Zealand. The harm that this drug causes New Zealand communities can be conservatively estimated at $430 million a year. It hurts every community in every part of the country.

[Citation Needed]

Presumably it's the cost the police incur chasing such "criminals".

fuckn aye. this is such bullshit. if you look at the damage costs of alcohol comparatively its a joke. and alcohol is supposed to be "controlled"

lol @ government

This is some dark news. More motivation to get into J-Day this saturday though.

I cant stand J-day and if anything I think it makes weed smokers look bad. Majority of the crowd i young kids who dont know what the fuck they standing for and just think its bad ass to be smoking "that chronic shit" that they scored from their old mans roach bin. Or our less than reputable street thugs going round causing shit. The whole point of the day is lost because of the idiots out there.

as posted on BD

Waste of time and money. Should not be SOG's responsibility how end product is used. Plenty of legit uses for Hydro equipment, just as there are plenty of legit uses for pipes, shisha etc with unscheduled substances.

Cops should focus on real crime. AFIK its not illegal to sell growing equip, fertilizer books or magizines - all the nasty evil products cops were posing with in their 1930's era prohibition style photos yesterday.

Reminds me of the police making up the law as they went along with firearm stocks (which was proved to be incorrect and police overstepping their warrent).

Actual drug buys break the law, and as long as the law is in force, I guess its ok to prosecute (even though I disagree with said law). ... but the other stuff is completely taking the piss.

I seriously doubt a store as well known as SOG would be selling illicit substances over the counter (although there may be the odd dodgy staffer doing so under the table, we've all hear those rumours, especially with regards to one particular store) - and there have always been the stories going on in the garden industry. But gut feeling is that the corporate side of things would have been operating to the letter of the law, and police have gone to far in going after the SOG.

End result, more people going to buy their drugs off gangs, rather than grow at home.

Seriously.. posing with high times? high level drug bust right there. Clearly going to fuck up the drug industry in NZ.. pat on the back NZ police.

as posted on BD

Waste of time and money. Should not be SOG's responsibility how end product is used. Plenty of legit uses for Hydro equipment, just as there are plenty of legit uses for pipes, shisha etc with unscheduled substances.

End result, more people going to buy their drugs off gangs, rather than grow at home.

Agree with most of this (waste of time and money etc) but really, Switched On Gardener has always blatantly marketed and positioned themselves to dope-growers and smokers.. this is completely obvious if you've ever been instore.. or heard their radio advertising.. or seen their website.. or seen the products they sell.. the police are right, they wouldn't survive without the cannabis trade

Anyone keen to buy a... "salad-tosser".. with resin extractor?" http://bit.ly/aqlRwK

Cannabis is the most abused controlled drug in New Zealand. The harm that this drug causes New Zealand communities can be conservatively estimated at $430 million a year. It hurts every community in every part of the country.

[Citation Needed]

Would've been way funnier if it said $420 million. What a sadly missed opportunity for humour.

I cant stand J-day and if anything I think it makes weed smokers look bad. Majority of the crowd i young kids who dont know what the fuck they standing for and just think its bad ass to be smoking "that chronic shit" that they scored from their old mans roach bin. Or our less than reputable street thugs going round causing shit. The whole point of the day is lost because of the idiots out there.

this....... well stated.

I totally agree..

The people that run NORML are retards,, onein paticular... I used to live with him and he is the most brutal selfish capitalist I have ever met.....

no wonder idiots roll to these , as an idiot runs the show

Doesn't seem that way the years I have been there although I've only attended here in Hamilton. When else shall we protest then? I certianly don't like being labled a criminal and I am very keen for a change to our outdated drug laws.

From Stuff

He said undercover officers had purchased equipment, were given advice on how to grow cannabis, and even purchased cannabis clones and other drugs over the counter from these offenders.

Of course they got busted if this was going on... wtf did they think was going to happen. It was probably just a select few employees or something but what dumb asses.

Using hydroponic gear to grow fruit and vegetables indoors and under lights was "exceedingly expensive" and it was not a viable proposition, police said. Because of that, the gear was predominantly sold to grow drugs.

heard some dude on the radio talking bout how something like 90% of tomatoes, capsicums, cucumbers sold in supermarkets were grown hydroponically. its just the lights that were expensive to run i think he said.

[Citation Needed]

Would've been way funnier if it said $420 million. What a sadly missed opportunity for humour.

hahaha hard!

• 1 month later...

Police 'used sob-story trap'

One of those arrested was New Plymouth shop assistant Reuben Wade, 25, who had been unfairly taken in by the undercover female detective who visited Guru Gardener, his counsel Paul Keegan said yesterday.

Police transcripts of the conversation between the two reveal that the officer had told Wade her mother was terminally ill with cancer and asked for help to grow cannabis plants to help alleviate her pain.

fuck that is some bullshit entrapment.

Full Story Here

Man that's lame.

If somehow that guy get's convicted it sends a very strong message to the NZ Police that this kind of thing is okay, which effectively mean's we will live in a state where the Police can set up undercover operations without effective constraints...

Edit: Read the story, so he's pleading guilty - which is fair enough - hopefully his lawyer sorts it the fuck out.