Government to allow private ownership of water

EuphoricMilk

A Sad Day for the Commons

Friday, 30 April 2010, 12:06 pm

Press Release: Right To Water Lobby

A Sad Day for the Commons

The Rodney Hide authored Local Government Amendment Act was introduced to Parliament yesterday.

If passed the Bill allows councils to privatise water, says Right to Water.

Under Clause 32 of the Bill amendments to the Local Government Act 2002, ownership and control of water can be passed over to the private sector for 35 years. It also removes the specific protections that require local government to retain control of ownership and management of water if it enters into such contracts.

"This is the most common form of water privatisation in the world. Water privatisation of this type has led to increased costs, loss of accountability and environmental damage," said Right to Water spokesperson, Maria McMillan.

"The government is claiming that this isn’t about privatisation which is utterly dishonest," said Ms McMillan.

"These amendments are happening in a context of a vast global private water industry that has made billions of dollars through exactly these types of arrangements. And, throughout the world, these arrangements are described as privatisation," she said.

"Water does not belong in the marketplace nor in the hands of corporations. No-one should make profit from delivering the water that people need to live – to drink, wash, cook with and clean", she said.

"This is a sad day for the human right to water, and a sad day for the commons."

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO1004/S00397.htm

Water profits into private pockets

Friday, 30 April 2010, 11:20 am

Press Release: Green Party

Water profits into private pockets

Private management of Auckland’s water on a long term basis is effectively privatisation — it takes control out of Aucklanders hands and puts profits into private pockets, the Green Party said today.

The Local Government Act 2002 Amendment Bill, which seeks to allow councils to offer 35 year leases on water infrastructure, was tabled in Parliament yesterday.

“Generations of Aucklanders have paid for the water infrastructure. Mr Hide’s amendment Bill hands over control of this key asset to private hands,” Green Party MP and Super City Spokesperson David Clendon said.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PA1004/S00429.htm

Government to allow private ownership of water for 35 years

Friday, 30 April 2010, 11:56 am

Press Release: New Zealand Labour Party

Government to allow private ownership of water for 35 years

Rodney Hide’s Bill allowing private companies to own the water infrastructure of councils for up to 35 years is privatisation in spite of Government denials, says Labour’s spokesperson on Auckland Issues Phil Twyford.

“The Government denies it is privatisation, but this is a nonsense. How many years would a dam have to be in private ownership before the government called it privatisation: 50? 100? “, says Phil Twyford.

“Rodney Hide has already admitted to the NZ Herald that he favoured the privatisation of council services. Changes brought about in the Local Government Act 2002 Amendment Bill clearly show this is in fact the government’s agenda.

“This bill also repeals the requirement for councils to consult the public before contracting out public services to the private sector.

“Rodney Hide is determined to lock the public out of key decisions concerning their council services. In the Auckland super city, Mr Hide wants to take 75% of Auckland’s core services and put them in the hands of unelected council controlled organisations.

“This Government wants to run local government like big business. He needs to realise we are talking about communities, not corporations”, says Phil Twyford.

http://www.voxy.co.nz/politics/government-allow-private-ownership-water-35-years/5/46877

So, election next year right?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats some epic fail shit (another in a long long list of epic fail shits) that this filthy right wing government has bestowed on its people.....

sigh

I love how the pinkos keep throwing around right-wing like it has some sort of meaning. This National government is more centrist that the last Labour one which is saying something.

Show me an info source other than scoop and I'll read past the url tbh.

This National government is more centrist that the last Labour one which is saying something.

Yeah some of their recent dicisions have been pretty surprising like going ahead with the carbon tax and signing that indigineous UN thang. I thought they would never.

This National government is more centrist that the last Labour one which is saying something.

Yeah some of their recent dicisions have been pretty surprising like going ahead with the carbon tax and signing that indigineous UN thang. I thought they would never.

Just to re-iterate, it doesn't say anywhere what kind of water ownership.

It could well be intended for things like mussel or fish farms, which surely at the moment must be private entities floating in public space. It could be any other situation too.

I'll be the first to protest if all the coastline is divvied up but I think it'd be political suicide. Scoop.co.nz isn't exactly well regarded for it's unbiased reporting...

It could well be intended for things like mussel or fish farms, which surely at the moment must be private entities floating in public space. It could be any other situation too.

I'll be the first to protest if all the coastline is divvied up but I think it'd be political suicide. Scoop.co.nz isn't exactly well regarded for it's unbiased reporting...

Water that comes out of your tap dude...

Thats because scoop is just unedited Press Releases ... the herald at least puts an intro paragraph on them first

Thats because scoop is just unedited Press Releases ... the herald at least puts an intro paragraph on them first

Only a rabid right winger would herald "the Herald"

Hows about this for a rant...

National does the following...

Department of Conservation’s budget cut by $54 million over four years citation and takes steps to allow mining companies into conservation land...

Meanwhile spending an extra $30 Million on Tourism New Zealand to promote NZ in the way which we always do... as a clean green nation.

Fuck you John. Next Prime minister please.