OIL. We do love it.

phonetics

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt anyone in NZ has the hard cash to get into the drilling market Catalyst, although there are a few offshore natural gas and petroleum rigs around NZ, mainly around Taranaki where there's a decent sized field.

However, we do have an oil refinery here - at Marsden Point near Whangarei. It can make about 100,000 Barrels per Day which isn't all that big on a global scale.

I'd wager that that's where the crude will be refined, although I haven't read enough into the subject to say.

Yes, the Government is the only viable source of capital for oil discovery in New Zealand... but instead of that they opted to take the foreign investment route instead. This is my gripe. It doesn't matter where the crude is refined, the majority of the profits will not belong to New Zealand. National is trying to make a quick buck by selling our assets. Our Oil reserves (if they exist) are a natural resource which we are selling off cheap because our Government would rather make a quick buck now instead of fronting up the capital/investment themselves. It's a National way of thinking which has extended decades which lead to the loss of assets in the 90's which New Zealand has spent the last decade purchasing back at extra cost.

What will potentially happen is that Brazil will find Oil and we'll get to watch them make hugh profits out of it while we take a small cut. Great, hope the artificial reef that the rig creates and the micro-ecosystem created is worth it Doc

The Oil field isn't going anywhere. I would rather it take an extra twenty years then tap it now.

I doubt anyone in NZ has the hard cash to get into the drilling market Catalyst, although there are a few offshore natural gas and petroleum rigs around NZ, mainly around Taranaki where there's a decent sized field.

However, we do have an oil refinery here - at Marsden Point near Whangarei. It can make about 100,000 Barrels per Day which isn't all that big on a global scale.

I'd wager that that's where the crude will be refined, although I haven't read enough into the subject to say.

Yes, the Government is the only viable source of capital for oil discovery in New Zealand... but instead of that they opted to take the foreign investment route instead. This is my gripe. It doesn't matter where the crude is refined, the majority of the profits will not belong to New Zealand. National is trying to make a quick buck by selling our assets. Our Oil reserves (if they exist) are a natural resource which we are selling off cheap because our Government would rather make a quick buck now instead of fronting up the capital/investment themselves. It's a National way of thinking which has extended decades which lead to the loss of assets in the 90's which New Zealand has spent the last decade purchasing back at extra cost.

What will potentially happen is that Brazil will find Oil and we'll get to watch them make hugh profits out of it while we take a small cut. Great, hope the artificial reef that the rig creates and the micro-ecosystem created is worth it Doc

The Oil field isn't going anywhere. I would rather it take an extra twenty years then tap it now.

Know what's even cooler? The government is subsidizing their exploration. As if big oil couldn't afford to do it otherwise. Waddafuk

I reckon NZ could sustain it's fuel needs by converting to biofuel and prospecting the fat on his neck.

just sell that fucker to brazil!

or if they dont want him, just paint him grey and give him to the japanese to help fill their 'research' quota of whales!

Nigeria's ignored catastrophe dwarfs US oil spill

The Gulf spill can be seen as a metaphor for what is happening daily in the oilfields of Nigeria and other parts of Africa. This has gone on for 50 years in Nigeria.
"There are more than 300 spills, major and minor, a year,"

also watched a show about piracy in nigera tonight which had footage of the areas affected by spills, the whole place is pretty much dead and covered in oil with oil leaking constantly all over the place

Nigeria's ignored catastrophe dwarfs US oil spill

The Gulf spill can be seen as a metaphor for what is happening daily in the oilfields of Nigeria and other parts of Africa. This has gone on for 50 years in Nigeria.
"There are more than 300 spills, major and minor, a year,"

also watched a show about piracy in nigera tonight which had footage of the areas affected by spills, the whole place is pretty much dead and covered in oil with oil leaking constantly all over the place

woah, nice find

• 2 weeks later...