Q9650 or I7 920

zzzp

Gotta p5q motherboard, 4 gig ddr2 ram.

Tossin up whether to go with a q9650 cpu with 12mb cache or am i best spititng out coin to go with a i7 920 new mobo/ram, will there be a huge amount of difference with a 920 having the smaller 8mb cache or will the q9650 be close, for heavy games. Currently running a q8200 which is shit house.

Right now I'd get the Q9650. For games at a decent resolution we are currently GPU limited so as long as you have a reasonable CPU you'll be good to go. Maybe check out Q9550 & OC it, I saw a place on pricespy selling them for about $380 if you pay cash which is cheap as chips.

Sweet, was looking at a second hand q9650 but never know how hard its been raped. I guess theres so little difference in the q9650 to the q9550 speed wise so probly best to go new then tweak it up..

Sweet, was looking at a second hand q9650 but never know how hard its been raped. I guess theres so little difference in the q9650 to the q9550 speed wise so probly best to go new then tweak it up..

Biggest difference is the Q9550 has 8.5x multiplier whereas Q9650 has a 9x multiplier. Ultimately it means you will be able to OC the Q9650 a little further but I honestly doubt you will get close to reaching the limits of the Q9550 anyway so probably better off getting a retail Q9550 with warranty rather than 2nd hand, potentially raped Q9650.